Are all Kubota keys are the same?

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
Are all Kubota keys the same?

I have an MX5800. My buddy in another state has an MX5200. He had heard all Kubota keys are the same. I thought it sounded far fetched, so we exchanged pictures of our keys. Sure enough, same exact number and same tooth pattern.

Doesn't sit very well with me that someone with a Kubota key could just drive off with my $50,000 tractor! Yes, I have other safeguards in place, but still...

So, are the keys from other Kubota models Keyed the same too? Can someone with an L series, or one of those little lawn tractors start an MX or larger tractor?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
Re: All Kubota keys are the same?

The keys are different when you change a series. All L series take the same key and same it true for all M Series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA

I have an MX5800....Doesn't sit very well with me that someone with a Kubota key could just drive off with my $50,000 tractor!....
What is your address again? I probably should pay you a visit just to check and see if MY key will start your tractor! LOL
No just kidding. I knew that all lawn mower keys seem to match because when I bought spares at the dealer no questions arose about the tractor mod/id, but I did not know the utility, ag and or compacts etc were the same way. That is interesting.

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest

Ok guys. Thanks. Makes me feel a LITTLE better, I guess.

redmaher

Jun 23, 2016
US

I have an MX5800. My buddy in another state has an MX5200. He had heard all Kubota keys are the same. I thought it sounded far fetched, so we exchanged pictures of our keys. Sure enough, same exact number and same tooth pattern.

Doesn't sit very well with me that someone with a Kubota key could just drive off with my $50,000 tractor! Yes, I have other safeguards in place, but still...

So, are the keys from other Kubota models Keyed the same too? Can someone with an L series, or one of those little lawn tractors start an MX or larger tractor?

Tractor keys like lawnmower keys are only designed to keep children from accidentally starting it. My b21 matches some b series but my b2150 matches my t1600. And factory installing a theft switch would just let everyone know how they are protecting them. Hidden cut off switch and hidden fuel cut offs.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

redmaher

Jun 23, 2016
US

Tractor keys like lawnmower keys are only designed to keep children from accidentally starting it. My b21 matches some b series but my b2150 matches my t1600. And factory installing a theft switch would just let everyone know how they are protecting them. Hidden cut off switch and hidden fuel cut offs.

Here's a list for you.

redmaher

Jun 23, 2016
US

I just let all the air out of the tires every night. No problems with theft here! :)
I always let the air out of the tires when transporting makes the tractor lighter. [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio

As most of you know I have been delivering tractors and mowers for my Kubota dealer because he is so busy, and it has been very enjoyable. In my truck I have a ring of keys that would choke a horse, between all of the Kubota tractors, New Holland tractors, and most of the Kubota zero turn mowers almost all of the series are different. On the cabbed Kubota tractors, the door locks are different than the ignition. Whew!!

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga

I asked my dealer about this when got my mx5800. He said L and mx are keyed alike. My key for my new mx5800 fits my dads L3130 he bought new in 2005

RickCf

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, 5ft Land Pride Rotary Cutter , 5ft Land Pride Tiller, Misc. other imp.
Jun 7, 2018
Hernando, MS

It might make you feel a little better, the Cat key I have in my pocket will start any Cat!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

I wouldn't sweat it, thieves aren't that smart. ;)

All equipment and tractor builders do the same thing, this is not just a Kubota thing, it's done for customer ease.

You can go on eBay and by rings of equipment keys, but like I said thieves normally do things on convenience not planning like in the movies. :p

You can always add a simple fuel stop in the line and that will even stop someone you would want to take your tractor. :D

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA

I always let the air out of the tires when transporting makes the tractor lighter. [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

You expect me to believe that!? Each tire has at most 30 Lbs in them. DO THE MATH! That's only 120 Lbs total. Now, what really amazed me was when the lil 7 yr old girl at the neighbors went to pick up my portable air tank and I told her, "you can't pick that up, it has 140 Lbs of air in it!" She picked it up anyway. Absolutely Amazing!

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
Folks in the United Kingdom had a big problem with tractor theft...

Then the local police started putting identifying marks on equipment, for free.

Theft went to near zero, and recovery to near 100%...

Get a tap and die kit, put a mark on a visible place, and then on a hidden place.

Last, take a picture of the marks...

redmaher

Jun 23, 2016
US

You expect me to believe that!? Each tire has at most 30 Lbs in them. DO THE MATH! That's only 120 Lbs total. Now, what really amazed me was when the lil 7 yr old girl at the neighbors went to pick up my portable air tank and I told her, "you can't pick that up, it has 140 Lbs of air in it!" She picked it up anyway. Absolutely Amazing!
[emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Isn't only equipment.
Back in 1973 I came out of a mall, unlocked "my" 1973 Ford station wagon, put the key in, started it, put it into reverse. As I turned my head to look back, I saw a pair on sunglasses on the consul. I don't own sunglasses I thought. Suddenly realized this was not my car.
Sheepishly put it back in park, removed the key, locked the door and backed away slowly.
Looked down the row of cars and spotted my real car about 5 or 6 down.
Talk about a weird experience.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I came out of a mall once and found someone in my '78 Toyota pickup attempting to start it. He had one the same color, model, and year, and his key had opened the door, but would not unlock the ignition. Also a wierd experience.