Apple Air Tag on my tractor?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Apple Air Tags are only good for about 30', so unless you are close , you won't know the tractor is gone.....
Perhaps newer version may go further ? There are other technologies that will 'go the distance', cell for one, though you'll need a SIM card and account for them.
Nothing really prevents a thief from stealing, but if you want detection, use TWO different technologies.
If in your garage,connect to your hardwired alarm system using what looks like a block heater. simple and effective. When thief unplugs the 'block heater' cable..alarm is triggered.

Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Apple Air Tags are only good for about 30', so unless you are close , you won't know the tractor is gone.....

Not entirely true. The Airtag will dial home when it comes in contact with any Apple iPhone, iPad, iMac, etc...so the chances are still good even a thief will be within 50 feet of one of those at some point. No its not infallable but...there are over 180 million active iPhones in the US and that many again of iPads...so its not a small chance. I have one in each of my machines because they are cheap and I am not spending thousands on something different. I am also insured for theft. My advice is to use it if you arent going to get something better.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yup, APPLE has 24/7 access to EVERY one of their products, worldwide..over 180 million phones in the US alone.

makes you feel all 'warm and fuzzy' knowing someone knows where you are and can look at all your personal data !

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Perhaps newer version may go further ? There are other technologies that will 'go the distance', cell for one, though you'll need a SIM card and account for them.
Nothing really prevents a thief from stealing, but if you want detection, use TWO different technologies.
If in your garage,connect to your hardwired alarm system using what looks like a block heater. simple and effective. When thief unplugs the 'block heater' cable..alarm is triggered.
Even thieves are savvy enough to know that block heaters are not widely used South of the Mason-Dixon line.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Air tags only work if a nearby user (30 or so feet) has an iOS device and the Bluetooth is enabled AND the Find My is enabled. While a lot of folks do, I do not. And my Bluetooth is also disabled unless I need it to be.
yup, APPLE has 24/7 access to EVERY one of their products, worldwide..over 180 million phones in the US alone.

makes you feel all 'warm and fuzzy' knowing someone knows where you are and can look at all your personal data !
It's not the iPhone people should be wary of. It's the apps installed.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
One of the air tags worked a few weeks ago in finding our wandering dog. The people whose yard he was in didn't even know he was there. He was close enought to someone inside with an Iphone tho.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Airtags have their value. In my case, two times I lost an air tag, but not the item it was attached to.

First, it was because the cheap holder I was using broke free from my key ring. I did not notice for about five days. It was a rainy period. When I noticed it was missing, I located it at a place about ten miles away. Only because someone with an apple product passed by it several times.

I went and tracked it down. It was where I had not been previously, but close to where I had been. I could not see it at first, but when my phone got within 12 inches of it, there it was.

Second time the airtag fell out of the holder, again on a different set of keys this time. BUT it did not show up. I thought about where it might be, and remembered I was digging with my mini ex down by my pond, to find a leak. BUT I also cut some grass, but not much. So I got on the smaller tractor and drove around, and when I got to the pond it showed up as being there.

It was down in the dirt, but a tiny white spot was showing. Had it been deep I may not have sensed it, or many not have dug it up...but there was no need to worry, as I could scoop the dirt away easily with my fingers, and recover it.

No success here as far as finding a lost item, but great success in finding lost airtags! LOL

edit: I guess my point was that as others have said above, the air tag only has benefit if either your tractor would be somewhere an iPhone would pass by, or if hidden somewhere where you knew it was roughly, but not exactly. In that case you would have to get real close to find it...Better than nothing maybe. OR the thief could happen to have an apple product...or a friend might.

Last edited:

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

I am sure the OP would appreciate us staying on topic and providing appropriate feedback.