Anyone used a JD 261 grooming mower

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I just got one, cheap, and hooked it to my B7100 to move it. I need to replace the belt tension spring before I can mow with it.

Driving with it lifted can be interesting, can't make sharp turns or go up hills without popping wheelies. I am guessing it weight around 500lbs. How much weight do I need to add to the front of the tractor to counter this. I will be adding a loader over the winter, but for this summer it would be good to be able to steer. Any thoughts?

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
gk, there was another thread on front end weights just a week or two ago. The guys talked about various ideas from concrete to suitcase weights to various shapes and sizes of steel. You definitely need a couple of hundred pounds up front. A good test would be to mount your weight, lift the cutter off the ground, and see if you can pick up the front of the tractor. If you can, you need to add more weight. And as you assumed, you can remove whatever weight you add after you get the FEL mounted. Good Luck!