Anyone use one: IPA Grease Joint Rejuvenator

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Not that brand but we had one at work that worked pretty good. I had to use it on my loader when we were using junk grease. Seems like ours was a Lincoln, I would love one for myself just in case.

windzer

Equipment
Bx2370-1
Dec 8, 2015
Illinois usa
Tried them before with no luck I had to pull the pin and cleanit by hand. If u do get it make sure you hit the plunger square with hammer if you give it a glancing blow that plunger can shoot out across your shop like a rocket betcha can't guess how I know that lol.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I have the blue point version. Same exact thing though :D It works, but you have to be patient with it. I usually run pb blaster through it. Put it on the zirc, tap it easy to work some juice in it, and then let it sit.

I've had mixed results with it. If the crud isn't too old, then usually I can get it to free up and start taking grease. Sometimes I've had to replace the zirc fitting and then force some pb blaster in it. But then, I was trying to free up some rusted solid pipe hinges to cut down on the amount that I had to replace :rolleyes: Had really good luck freeing up the grease fittings on our fork lift :D

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I've tried similar, but on something long frozen up, they're rather worthless. I generally take the zerk out, install a pipe nipple or a street ell and a cap. this makes a little reservoir that I fill with Kroil, every time I walk by the machine, in question. The kroil seems to eat out the dried up dreck, like nothing else I have tried in the past 25 years. Once I smell the kroil, or see it leaking out of somewhere south of the fitting, I then take a regular grease gun with a locknlube head, and pump till I see grease oozing out.

I once had a backhoe knuckle joint that wouldn't take grease, so I cleaned out as much crud, as I could, gave it a squirt full of kroil, and hooked up a porta power pump, threaded into the fitting hole, pumped it up, as hard as I could, and then started the hoe, and wiggled the joint really hard and jerky. I saw the PP hose go limp and then saw the oil leaking out of the joint. I want to rig up the PP with a locknlube threaded on it. that would be a hell of a combination...:D:D

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Thanks everyone for your input. I was having a little fun with the grease gun today and found a zerk that I had been missing.:eek: With a locknlube I was able to get grease into. For future reference I was wondering if there was an easier way than tearing it apart and cleaning everything up. Ran across that tool and was wondering if it really worked. I am going to hold off getting one right now. I have some kroil that has been hanging around waiting for something to do.:rolleyes:

Again, thanks for your help. I have added this tool to my wish list. :)

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Different brand but same device.

Received a complete set several years ago from the original inventor as part of a test program. I think it's a handy tool.

I've noticed it gets used a couple-three times a year, usually when I hit a zerk that won't take grease and I need to be somewhere else right now.

Some zerks just have to be removed and cleaned.

Have you ever tried to remove (and then tap the hole) an OEM 'mash-in'-type zerk that has been swedged into the hole, not threaded? In those cases, if the zerk can be opened up you save a lot of heartburn sweat and effort.

The only "hints" I can offer based on experience is to
(1) try motor oil first in the plunger
(2) then try Kroil or PB Blaster
(3) after a solvent or rust-buster, use oil again
(4) then use grease gun.
(5a) most importantly, hit the plunger with a plastic-face dead-blow mallet
(5b) don't use a ball pein hammer, claw hammer, engineer's hammer, sledge hammer, or brick.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Stubbyie, thanks for the reply and other suggestions. Yes, I have had the pleasure of tapping the hole of zurks that have failed or been knocked off some how.

Thanks again everyone for your help and suggestions. I will add them to my bag of tricks.:)