Anyone use a Woods M4 bush hog

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I have a chance to pick up one for $300.00, it all works well and just a little rusty on under side of the deck. No stump jumper is my only concern, but I will mostly be mowing field and the light growth at the edges. Seems a good match for my B7100 but I would like to know what you all think.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I have a M4 and power it with my B6100 and my dads L275. I'd say go ahead and get it for the price. I wouldnt be overly worried about a stump jumper on your own property as I'm sure you'll fully aware if you have stumps or not.

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
Thanks. I will call the guy tonight. What size sapling can you typically take down with it. Looking for a manual for it online. :)

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Thats a really good question I honestly dont know. I've gone threw some thick heavy stuff with the hogg and never had any real problems. I've been in tall weeds and grass in a field that came up over the hood of my tractor before and knocked it down no problems. If I had to put a number on it I'd say nothing over an inch an a half to two inches.

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
Thats a really good question I honestly dont know. I've gone threw some thick heavy stuff with the hogg and never had any real problems. I've been in tall weeds and grass in a field that came up over the hood of my tractor before and knocked it down no problems. If I had to put a number on it I'd say nothing over an inch an a half to two inches.
My rotary cutter will shear / rip out any thing under 1.5". I do not run over any thing bigger than that, I have a small chainsaw I take into the woods with me when I am clearing undergrowth. (I also have a 029 Farm Boss for the bigger stuff...)
Mine has a stump jumper and I find it helps with the low stumps / rocks I encounter.
KC

gktilton

Equipment
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
Thanks guys, anything over 1.5 becomes campfire wood for me and the chainsaw is almost always strapped to the tractor anyway.

gktilton

Equipment
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
Picking it up next weekend. Will post.

gktilton

Equipment
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
Got it yesterday, hitched it up today, ran over some little stuff to loose up the blades, works decent. I moved it up back and put it on some pallets with a tarp and will do the required maintenance in the spring. Blade are in good shape, and a lot thicker than I expected for a 4 foot hog. :) Will need paint, just need to decide between Kubota Orange and Woods Yellow. Tough decisions.
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/kubotagallery/?image=270

gktilton

Equipment
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I hear that a lot, the bars on top make it self leveling. Its off an 1976 sears garden tractor, got the sears with the loader for 400 and picked up the kubota without the loader for cheap. Figured the kubota could handle the loader better than the sears so I fabricated 3 mounting blocks and tapped the hydraulics with the valve under the seat, been happy ever since. Not sure how much that hog weighs, but the little loader lifted it easy.

Was going to keep the sears to use in the garden but have picked up the attachments for the kubota and like it much better so over the winter the sears and its attachments get paint, then I will sell them in the spring.

Freakingstang

Oct 23, 2011
NE Ohio
Do you have any pics of the sears with the loader? I'd be interested to see the fab work you did also to make it fit. We are looking for a fel for my uncles b7100

gktilton

Equipment
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
Here is a pick of the loader on the old sears.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/kubotagallery/?image=271

I had quite a head start on the Kubota, at some point in its life it had a front plow on it and the subframe was still on the tractor when I purchased it. I used it for mounting the uprights and made two blocks to the diagonals down to the front of the tractor.