Anyone try these (BX tractor upgrade)?

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
here's the one picture I could find... Original ROPS top section is in the garage 'annex',just in case I decide to sell. Verticals are 2x3, thick wall, 1.5x3x 3/16 for cross piece, 1x1 tubing for roof support. roof is 3/16" aluminum. LEDS are controlled with 4chnl RF relay unit(stock headlights are useless with loader). At 6'2" I can use BH no problem and yes it's about 3/4" shorter than the door.
You're TEASING me JUST ENOUGH to ask for more!! That photo is horse plop, Bud, I can't SEE anything but a shadow. 🤣🤣

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, I'll try to find better pictures or some good AA batteries and take new pictures. I'd love to know WHERE the other 5-6 pix got to as they were all in the same folder....

Reactions: 1 user

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
Are they just cylinders with a larger bore and stroke?

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I don't think that there are many circumstances where the extra weight lifting capacity would be a factor. The bucket can only hold the same amount of weight that it always was capable of holding. The only real gain would be the lift height. That advantage is worth pursuing to me. I can already lift a full bucket of rocks in stock configuration. I have posted several pictures of that through the years. My bucket cannot hold any more rocks so I would never be able to load any more weight in it. I would just be able to lift the load higher to be able to dump into the side of a truck or trailer.

As for the tires, you could load the front tires with WWF and that would increase the load carrying ability of the front tires. I have done that and the front tires do not flatten out like they did before I loaded them.

As for your concern about the loader arms being able to handle the weight, I doubt that would be much of a concern because you are not going to be able to put any more material in the bucket than you could before.
I know what you mean about trying to dump into a pick up or other! Im pretty sure that lifting the bucket higher will only bring the load closer to the operator. The BX FEL just doesnt have enough reach.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I've looked online, but not seeing any actual reviews of how well these things work. One video shows the extra 12" of height and another shows some dude with their "beta" version, but nothing showing how they work in the real world. Seems like a massive upgrade for us BX folks:

The two videos:
I don't understand why people buy over powered and over sized pickup trucks with 400+ horse power and then buy a SCUT like a BX and then want to find a way to make it have the operating capacity of a SS or CTL.

My theory is they've spent all their money making payments on the over spec'd and underused truck and then they have to cheap out by buying garden tractor.

Too scared to sit in a full sized machine?

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I don't understand why people buy over powered and over sized pickup trucks with 400+ horse power and then buy a SCUT like a BX and then want to find a way to make it have the operating capacity of a SS or CTL.

My theory is they've spent all their money making payments on the over spec'd and underused truck and then they have to cheap out by buying garden tractor.

Listen to yourself. Quit speculating. 🤣🤣🤣

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Sometimes I really hate the internet... ask for real world examples of something working, and get folks trying to be internet trolls... Seems I have pissed off the orange tractor gods for asking about these... I will reframe from asking questions about the BX given it's only a glorified lawn mower :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Sometimes I really hate the internet... ask for real world examples of something working, and get folks trying to be internet trolls... Seems I have pissed off the orange tractor gods for asking about these... I will reframe from asking questions about the BX given it's only a glorified lawn mower :rolleyes:
What some people seem to think is that the BX is not a tractor. I disagree, it is a highly capable compact machine that is scaled to the size needed for most homeowners with 5 or less acres. If people try to compare it to pickup trucks and such they are displaying an ignorance and even perhaps a stupidity about what people are doing when they make purchases that fit a need or lifestyle.

Reactions: 4 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
The internet and social media is full of people full of themselves. It's evident in every topic. They feed off each other.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I'm going to grab some popcorn and watch this thread turn into a full-blown battle of differing opinions.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
What some people seem to think is that the BX is not a tractor. I disagree, it is a highly capable compact machine that is scaled to the size needed for most homeowners with 5 or less acres. If people try to compare it to pickup trucks and such they are displaying an ignorance and even perhaps a stupidity about what people are doing when they make purchases that fit a need or lifestyle.
The BX series has its purpose. Just like the bigger ones have there purpose. My 1880 has surpassed my expectations. Why would I spend more on a larger tractor When my BX does the job.

As far as the upgrade listed above, these tractors are built to specifics to there size. You may be able to squeeze a little more out of it but your stressing the tractor doing more than what is was built for.

Reactions: 1 users

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Popcorn ready! Ay least my opinion was from someone with a BX! :D

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA

mikester an m59 would be nice but its WAY to big for my 1 acre property! I bought the BX23S to landscape, grade, dig stumps and do drainage projects. Six years ago I was thinking of hiring someone to do the work, but it was cheaper to buy the BX and do it at my leisure! I am near done with projects now and have the best wheelbarrow around to save my back and crippled bones in through my retirement!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
After watching the video the one issue I do not see being addressed with the longer cylinders is how it affects the digging depth.
They do mention that the retracted length of their cylinders is the same as OEM. That should ensure the digging depth is unchanged. They are apparently just extending the travel by making the outer cylinder slightly longer. This would not necessarily apply to other suggestions of using off-the-shelf replacements.

Another potential issue with COT parts is the width and diameter of the mounting points. Larger diameter cylinders often come with more robust mounts.

As for the increased lift capacity, a few hundred pounds dead lift won't likely make a difference. But a few hundred pounds extra multiplied by the shock load of hitting a bump while traveling could well bend or break something. I don't really think relying on the bucket volume is the best guidance -- some materials are wet, some dry, etc. To say nothing of what might happen when buckets are replaced or augmented by forks.

I'm not saying don't do it (heck, I built my own loader), but just be aware of the potential pitfalls and take appropriate precautions when making this sort of modification.

Reactions: 2 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
They do mention that the retracted length of their cylinders is the same as OEM. That should ensure the digging depth is unchanged. They are apparently just extending the travel by making the outer cylinder slightly longer. This would not necessarily apply to other suggestions of using off-the-shelf replacements.

Another potential issue with COT parts is the width and diameter of the mounting points. Larger diameter cylinders often come with more robust mounts
Digging depth on a BX loader - really?

All I have suggested is measure the old ones and do some shopping before spending 2x as much on the custom ones.

Dan

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I'm quite happy with the BX actually, and I wasn't looking to lift 1,000 lbs, I think the actual lift weight is somewhere around 500 lbs, I have only had issues when trying to dig from a pile, which is where it'd be nice if it could do slightly more, but not a deal breaker for me. The additional height however, would be a great addition as I lift the mower deck on to scaffolding and with the bucket at max height, I'm still about six inches too low, so I have to ask a neighbor for help (which I don't like to bother with such. simple 1st world problems). I for sure don't need a B for an acre, that would be overkill. I saw a possible solution, for a few set backs I have, and was asking to see real world examples of it working.
Sorry Greg if it sounded like I was pointing the finger specifically at you. Theres folks building so much crap for BX's and to me I find most are just lackluster! These are who I speak of. Yes trying to dig from a pile could be tough sometimes but its a combination of pushing into the pile while using a lifting curling motion and the more weight on the back the better. Its the curl function that helps get that full bucket, without using the curl your bucket could just sit there. Even on the BH just pulling on roots doesnt break them its a combo of pulling and the curl function that gets it done.

This hydro lift plus will give you more height but theres always a tradeoff. More height will put the load closer to the operator and now the front end of the tractor will need to get even closer to the racking system to drop the pallet or dump into a truck or trailer. Ill bet you come pretty close now.

Please keep asking questions! Ive had my head chewed on a few times here on OTT dont let it stop ya!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Sorry Greg if it sounded like I was pointing the finger specifically at you. Theres folks building so much crap for BX's and to me I find most are just lackluster! These are who I speak of. Yes trying to dig from a pile could be tough sometimes but its a combination of pushing into the pile while using a lifting curling motion and the more weight on the back the better. Its the curl function that helps get that full bucket, without using the curl your bucket could just sit there. Even on the BH just pulling on roots doesnt break them its a combo of pulling and the curl function that gets it done.

This hydro lift plus will give you more height but theres always a tradeoff. More height will put the load closer to the operator and now the front end of the tractor will need to get even closer to the racking system to drop the pallet or dump into a truck or trailer. Ill bet you come pretty close now.

Please keep asking questions! Ive had my head chewed on a few times here on OTT dont let it stop ya!
Just a couple quick observations:

Increasing bore from 1.5" to 1.75" will result in a 37% increase in both boom and bucket hydraulic force (lift and breakout). You will see and feel that difference.

The boom spool on most Kubota loaders is a serial circuit. That means simultaneously lifting and curling is an additive load reducing both lift and curl breakout forces.

Dan

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Dan all I know is if you push into a pile of lets say wet dirt and just try to lift the bucket it could just sit there. Now using the lift and curling on and off while pushing into the pile at the same time will fill the bucket regardless of whether or not that reduces BOF! My set up is stock and I have no need of a 37% increase as I dont have a problem filling the bucket! I dont even have the relief shimmed as others have there's just no need for it.

Last edited: