Anyone ever have a trailer with metal grating for a deck?

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
I am in the market to get an equipment trailer. Tired of using my 16 foot dump and its removable ramps that are heavy and tough to tie things down as I have 4 foot walls.
Been looking at lamar and diamond c. Still not sure about tilt or full width ramps. Will be hauling A kx040 4 ton excavator and at times a L6060 tractor.
Leaning toward diamond c. A used one popped up not to far away from me. 20 footer gravity tilt. 16' tilt deck 4' stationary deck - I wanted a 22 or 24 foot but the price is right. Except instead or wood deck or solid metal deck (which I would never get) it has a metal grate deck. Never seen one before like this.
How slippery would this be when its wet or snow or mud? I know wood decks can be slippery but if I went tilt like this one am I gonna have trouble driving up the deck or be cursing and slipping all over the place?
It has a hydraulic jack which is very nice and guy wants $10k for it so price is right but driving up that metal deck is the question

379326772_6766123053452580_4578234013117029955_n.jpg

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I tow my KX040 on a 24’ tilt goose neck trailer, 16’ tilt bed plus 6’ flat fixed deck, not metal slat, make sure your axles and tires are correctly rated. My tires are not rated inline with my overall trailer rating, I blew one on my last trip, I’m in the process of updating tires to a heavier load rating. Stay safe.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That is a very interesting design.
I would think traction would be good.
I would also think it's a heavy trailer!
Would be better if the deck was going the other direction.
One advantage would be you wouldn't get snow, mud, ice, or gravel build up.
One disadvantage is every rock would rattle off of the equipment and become a projectile for anyone behind you.

Reactions: 1 user

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
Another disadvantage is that you wouldn't be able to use the trailer to haul any loose material like dirt, mulch, gravel, etc...

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am in the market to get an equipment trailer. Tired of using my 16 foot dump and its removable ramps that are heavy and tough to tie things down as I have 4 foot walls.
Been looking at lamar and diamond c. Still not sure about tilt or full width ramps. Will be hauling A kx040 4 ton excavator and at times a L6060 tractor.
Leaning toward diamond c. A used one popped up not to far away from me. 20 footer gravity tilt. 16' tilt deck 4' stationary deck - I wanted a 22 or 24 foot but the price is right. Except instead or wood deck or solid metal deck (which I would never get) it has a metal grate deck. Never seen one before like this.
How slippery would this be when its wet or snow or mud? I know wood decks can be slippery but if I went tilt like this one am I gonna have trouble driving up the deck or be cursing and slipping all over the place?
It has a hydraulic jack which is very nice and guy wants $10k for it so price is right but driving up that metal deck is the question

View attachment 123257
Good day.

I can’t answer all your questions, so maybe I am not of much help. I have a 24’ Diamond C deckover and I have the MAXX ramps…I am not sure what ramps you are looking at but IMO splurge on those (and the storage/tool boxes)…they are no issue to drive up at all dry or wet and they are very easy to fold up and down. The spacing on the horizontal angle might be tricky if wet or snow if trying to walk up, but MX will get traction all day long if ramp is wet or tires muddy. I think your grating will be fine…the diamond plate is what it is…the slick spot on my trailer is the diamond plate over the wheels. Diamond C is a solid trailer with great paint. I don’t have any complaints with mine. That’s all I know. 🥃

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I’ve never seen that stuff on a trailer. I’ve seen miles of it in factories. Some of it is smooth top, some has little nibs sticking up ever 3/8” or so. I’ve never seen the smooth top stuff installed outside so no clue how its slickness in ice/rain/snow is, but kind of assume there’s a reason the smooth isn’t used outside. In factory settings I’ve seen it in, it’s usually used for foot traffic; vehicle traffic limited to occasional at most.

Tried zooming in on the pic. Not quite sure if the deck is the nibbed variety or if it’s smooth and I’m seeing pixelation. If it’s nibbed I can’t imagine traction being a problem unless it’s covered in ice. If it’s smooth, wet traction would concern me, same as any other metal deck.

That’s my experience with the material. Never seen it in that specific application so that may not be worth much.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

View attachment 123257
That metal grating will be the PERFECT place for rust to grow.
Might be a great trailer for Arizona, or New Mexico, but for NJ. ??
Using it ONLY in Summer, should be OK in NJ though.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
That is a very interesting design.
I would think traction would be good.
I would also think it's a heavy trailer!
Would be better if the deck was going the other direction.
One advantage would be you wouldn't get snow, mud, ice, or gravel build up.
One disadvantage is every rock would rattle off of the equipment and become a projectile for anyone behind you.
If you live in a cold climate like Canada then snow ice buildup will be a problem. Grating will be a slush magnet

1709210478064.jpeg

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
10-4 on the grating just sifting the big pieces out what falls off the equipment as it falls onto the road.

The decking MAY be oriented correctly . It looks like there is structure running across the trailer at 16-24" spacing. If so, that isn't a huge span.

I'd be concerned about all the little pockets created where the decking is on top of the structure. That would permanently catch all kinds of crud. And NJ is a salt 'em rusty state that sees at least some snow.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
As long as it's painted with real paint NOT 'powder coat', it'll outlive every one here. steel decks are usually only slippery with steel tracked machines. heck there's lots of videos of excavators sliding off wooden decked trailers,so NO decking is perfect in all condtions.
Had an 8x16 deckover made with checkplate.That WAS slippery as water and ice would puddled on it. Grating style should be better. I used 2 sections as ramps, very good traction. Agree it'd be heavy as decking material but 'strong like bull',easy to clean

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
A buddy has a home made twenty foot with steel grating for a floor and its stood up well over the years and he pulls it in the winter with his skid loader on it to do snow removeable work. Wood doesn't work for him as his trailers never see a shed. If you can buy the trailer right I would buy it and give it a try. Always easy to sell a well kept trailer.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If the price is right buy it cover it with wood soak the snot out of the wood with oil let it leak to the decking,,, problem solved

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A buddy has a home made twenty foot with steel grating for a floor and its stood up well over the years and he pulls it in the winter with his skid loader on it to do snow removeable work. Wood doesn't work for him as his trailers never see a shed. If you can buy the trailer right I would buy it and give it a try. Always easy to sell a well kept trailer.
Does NE use thousands of tons of road salt each Winter?

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
Good day.

I can’t answer all your questions, so maybe I am not of much help. I have a 24’ Diamond C deckover and I have the MAXX ramps…I am not sure what ramps you are looking at but IMO splurge on those (and the storage/tool boxes)…they are no issue to drive up at all dry or wet and they are very easy to fold up and down. The spacing on the horizontal angle might be tricky if wet or snow if trying to walk up, but MX will get traction all day long if ramp is wet or tires muddy. I think your grating will be fine…the diamond plate is what it is…the slick spot on my trailer is the diamond plate over the wheels. Diamond C is a solid trailer with great paint. I don’t have any complaints with mine. That’s all I know. 🥃
Max ramps are on my radar but this trailer is a tilt trailer - no ramps needed. That is why I was worried about slipping as the 16 foot back section tilts to load

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Max ramps are on my radar but this trailer is a tilt trailer - no ramps needed. That is why I was worried about slipping as the 16 foot back section tilts to load
Have you shopped Diamond C site? I have not been to it recently but when I was shopping for mine a few years ago and used the build/spec the trailer function they would give you the dimensions (simple schematic) and you could see the axle positioning relative to the deck length…that was sort of handy as you can imagine then where you would want the rear wheels and sort of can estimate how it would balance and how much room is left for your attachments or gang box etc. good luck. 🥃

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
I’ve never seen that stuff on a trailer. I’ve seen miles of it in factories. Some of it is smooth top, some has little nibs sticking up ever 3/8” or so. I’ve never seen the smooth top stuff installed outside so no clue how its slickness in ice/rain/snow is, but kind of assume there’s a reason the smooth isn’t used outside. In factory settings I’ve seen it in, it’s usually used for foot traffic; vehicle traffic limited to occasional at most.

Tried zooming in on the pic. Not quite sure if the deck is the nibbed variety or if it’s smooth and I’m seeing pixelation. If it’s nibbed I can’t imagine traction being a problem unless it’s covered in ice. If it’s smooth, wet traction would concern me, same as any other metal deck.

That’s my experience with the material. Never seen it in that specific application so that may not be worth much.
Guy only had 3 pictures

Attachments

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
Have you shopped Diamond C site? I have not been to it recently but when I was shopping for mine a few years ago and used the build/spec the trailer function they would give you the dimensions (simple schematic) and you could see the axle positioning relative to the deck length…that was sort of handy as you can imagine then where you would want the rear wheels and sort of can estimate how it would balance and how much room is left for your attachments or gang box etc. good luck. 🥃
Yeah, they have all the options but no option for metal grating like this guy had built. They must have done it special for him. Without the extra flooring this trailer with hydraulic deck is almost $16k. So thought $10k was a great price. Somebody else said buy it - try it and if not you can sell it not too much trouble for the 10k you bought it for. i might do that

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
I tow my KX040 on a 24’ tilt goose neck trailer, 16’ tilt bed plus 6’ flat fixed deck, not metal slat, make sure your axles and tires are correctly rated. My tires are not rated inline with my overall trailer rating, I blew one on my last trip, I’m in the process of updating tires to a heavier load rating. Stay safe.
This has 7k axles and 215/75r17.5 16 ply tires. I will be towing the same excavator as you - what size tire did you blow and what did you upgrade too? I do not want to blow a tire while towing stuff......

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
This has 7k axles and 215/75r17.5 16 ply tires. I will be towing the same excavator as you - what size tire did you blow and what did you upgrade too? I do not want to blow a tire while towing stuff......
Tire plys are important for sure but I’d recommend to also look at the load and speed ratings for the specific tires you would be getting.