Anybody use a 3pt trencher?

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I used a neighbor's home made trencher to lay about 300 ft of underground electric fence wire. Depth was about a foot. I used a couple of concrete blocks for extra weight since the lift arms are not heavy. It did a nice trench. It cut through some tree roots during the job.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I know the documentation standard is 100m but I’ve heard of people going above a bit above 200m pretty successfully. Not sure if you are able to test it before you do the install but maybe something to think about? Also I am curious if there is a concern about rust/damage in the switches due to condensation In the junction boxes? I’ve never seen switches that weren’t in climate controlled buildings so I’m more just curious than anything else.
Thanks for the comments Trustable

Two of my sons gave me the same warning about using them outside when I did at our last house. I can only speak from my experience. I bought at an auction 2 cases of NOS 100Mb switches.
1697386100551.png

iirc there were about 50 total in the lot, that I got for about $12. The relatively low speed was not a problem for my application. They lasted until we moved out, >4 yrs. I used 8 of them outside.

Here is a typical 'box' with the switch, 48v to 12v buck device, DC meter on upper right and in this case a camera mounted on the cover.

switch_box.jpg

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
are you going to run it in conduit, along with a spare or just 'roll the dice' ??
the BIG issue is to keep moisture OUT of the wire. it's amazing how friggin far it can creep into a 2400' long cable in a year and a half.....
I've pulled up a lot of wire out of conduit over the years, in walls, underground and in conduit in cement floors. If it's below grade, it's coming out wet. I doubt there is a way to prevent it.