Any L2501 Owners??

AJW

Apr 16, 2015
Canada
Hello All,

I've heard lots of chatter about this new tractor some saying they thought it was underpowered for the chassis and others saying the new tier 4 stuff is troublesome (which this model does not have) so this model may do well.

I'm interested in this model because it weighs more than the B series and has the same loader and 3 point hitch capacities as its higher horsepower L series cousins. What's interesting about it is the engine is significantly larger than the B series 26hp engines and it runs at a far lower RPM (2200rpm for PTO speed). I've been told by the dealer that it has more torque than the smaller B series which makes it quite responsive for the chassis size.

Are there any owners of this tractor that can attest to its capabilities power wise? I'm looking at one to handle road maintenance, clearing duties and brush hogging. I plan on loading the tires as well which according to the dealer will put the wet weight of this unit at close to 4500lbs.

I'm curious whether I should proceed with this one or just go with the larger L3301. The price difference is around $3000 or so but then I have the tier 4 DPF to contend with. I imagine someone will be coming up with a delete kit for that shortly. Judging by the amount of negative comments about the DPF systems I'm sure they'll sell a pile of them.

Thanks!

DamCraig

Equipment
L2501
Apr 17, 2015
Denver, CO
AJW - I have owned mine a little over a month now and could not be happier.

I bought mine for all the same reasons you listed and have it setup with loaded tires. Went in looking at B series and knew right away they would not be up to the tasks I had in mind.

I'm on 10 acres and use it for general maintenance, field cutting, road maintenance (1/2 mile) and snow clearing. So far it has handled everything I have thrown at it.

As for power, it gets the job done. The weight of the tractor seems well suited to the HP but, as most will tell you here, weight is sometimes a bigger factor than HP and for my purpose the added weight of the L series works well. Are there times I wish there was a bit more ponies in reserve? Sure, but I think that would be the case no matter the size I purchased :) More is always better, right?

A few tasks have taken a hair longer but not enough for me to think I need a bigger model or regret my choice.

10Ring

Apr 20, 2015
Kalispell, MT
I'm looking at the L2501 also, for the same reasons.
Only one L2501 owner on the site? That's a little discouraging. Maybe I should reconsider the 3301.

DamCraig

Equipment
L2501
Apr 17, 2015
Denver, CO
10Ring, I wouldn't expect to see a ton of responses since it's a relatively new model. The L2501 is a bit of a niche tractor - larger/heavier than the B series, lower HP than the norm for the L series.

For my purpose it fell into the "just right" category since I do not need the extra HP but did need the weight due to the tasks and terrain of my property.

Kubota seems to be targeting this at the large property, small hobby farm (or non-farm) homeowner that needs more than the BX or B series is built for.

AJW

Apr 16, 2015
Canada
Thanks for the replies! I kind of figured the weight is more important in my situation than the horsepower.

One question I had about the L2501 for DamCraig, do you store the tractor inside? If so, does it totally smoke out the garage or shed when you start it? I would imagine that the L3301 with the DPF is probably pretty clean when it starts and was just curious about the L2501. The only reason I'd consider the L3301 is for the smoke reason. I plan on storing it inside so that's a consideration especially in the winter. I don't particularly want the garage smoked out every time I start it.

I've pretty much given up on the B series because I just don't think it'll be big enough for the work I want to do. It'll either be the L2501 or L3301. So far it seems like the DPF system is working fairly trouble free on the L3301 but it's still pretty new.

I'm pretty sure the dealers up here in canada have only got the L2501 in last month or so and I don't believe they've moved very many. I'm getting quoted $27400 pre tax for tractor, block heater and calcium chloride filled tires, LA525 loader, 60" brush hog, and 7' landscape rake. Remember I'm in Canada so I get to pay more for everything.

DamCraig

Equipment
L2501
Apr 17, 2015
Denver, CO
AJW - I actually park mine both ways. Sometimes in a shop/garage, sometimes in just a covered area I built for parking it. Have not noticed excessive smoke on start-up in either case. That said, I wouldn't want to run it or any diesel engine indoors for very long, with or without a DPF.

I can't speak specifically to the L3301/DPF combo and how it will do. Theoretically it should produce less soot since that is what the DPF is supposed to do but startup may be different than actual run time. That would probably be a question for the dealer's shop guys.

I didn't specifically try to dodge the DPF models , happily it just worked out that way.

erda

Equipment
LX3310HSDCC
Aug 24, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I looked at a L2501. I was quite impressed with the tractor and price. The deal breaker for me was the lack of mid-pto. I need to have a front mount snow blower for the 1/4 mile+ laneway.