Any ideas on how I can safely lift and install 18ft pole barn timbers?

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I rmis-stated two things. The cost was not $4,500.It was $6,500. That included delivery. Delivery was $840.

It is a 36 x 48 structure (39' x 51' roof size).
It is open bay (no sides). I can add walls later.

I priced around and that was the best I could find. Plus I didn't have a way to pickup so delivery was needed.

It's basically ten 8"x8"x18ft posts (14ft eave height). Five 36 ft metal trusses (shipped as half spans), 29GA painted metal roof, with all wood (purlins, ties, etc.) included and all fasteners and rake trim and ridge cap.

I will be renting a skid steer with auger. Need ten 18 x 48 " holes.
Then I'll figure out how to set the posts.

Now waiting on approval of building permit. I would like to get the (holes dug and) post set before the FL rainy season starts.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thanks for the information. If you are renting a skid steer can you rent some lifting device to use with the skid steer?

I think I have seen lifting poles that attach to the quick attach of the skid steer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
The skid steer with auger is $410/day (with delivery charge).

After I dig the holes, I need to call for an "inspection" before I can set the posts. That inspection might be a couple of days before its scheduled, so the Skid Steer will need to be returned the same day (and I only need a day to dig the holes).

Then I will either rent something else to set the posts or figure out a way to use my tractor. If I rent, I might as well get a telescoping boom as it is the the same rental price as the skid steer.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Do you have a neighbor with a big farm tractor/loader? Maybe you could get a couple of hours help that way to set the poles. Pay him what he thinks is fair, then you even have help! One on the machine and one on the ground.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
BE2F2930-EB60-4CDD-80AE-0EBF52963B3C.jpg

04480013-5FCF-4929-8020-68430C76ACCC.jpg

97853044-C2BB-46CF-B1FD-3D55AC0F37DB.jpg .

I’ve used my BX to move and plant many beams in the ground. Let me warn you it is really sketchy with the light weight of the BX and the leverage exerted at the end of a long beam. The 6”x12”x22’ beams on my entryway would have pushed the BX on its side. I moved them in place, had the help of my neighbors son( full sized kid) and it wasn’t very hard to lift the pole ( with gloves, by hand)once the tip was in the hole.
With the forks or bucket extended, any shift on the pole will put your very expensive tractor on its side. Once the poles are upright, they are very easy to plumb, and line up with a string line

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm still waiting for a building permit.
I will rent an articulating boom lift (or man lift) to set the posts. It is better to be safe than sorry - as they say. if I get a "man lift", I can use that the set the trusses too.

W7AX

Equipment
L4310 HST, Bush hog mower, two different buckets for front end loader, Land box
Mar 23, 2018
Polson, Montana
Most truss companies we have here have a special truck to haul the trusses. Then the truck has a boom to set the trusses. Easy thing to do and the comp-any here doesn't charge any extra to set them in place. Maybe your truss company has that rig.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Most truss companies we have here have a special truck to haul the trusses. Then the truck has a boom to set the trusses. Easy thing to do and the comp-any here doesn't charge any extra to set them in place. Maybe your truss company has that rig.
You missed the part where he said it's a kit, they deliver it and you put it together. ;)

W7AX

Equipment
Mar 23, 2018
Polson, Montana
You missed the part where he said it's a kit, they deliver it and you put it together. ;)
It is a kit alright but if they can supply engineering data for a price, then that truss is built to a spec. Usually companies that build trusses also have a special truck that not only delivers them but puts them in place. At least here they do and there are many ranches around here that buy these kits. That was the message I was trying to convey.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It is a kit alright but if they can supply engineering data for a price, then that truss is built to a spec. Usually companies that build trusses also have a special truck that not only delivers them but puts them in place. At least here they do and there are many ranches around here that buy these kits. That was the message I was trying to convey.
The trusses are included in this kit, he has to assemble them onsite. ;)
Go to the website for the kit and you'll see they are steel trusses, much different than wood trusses that most are used to working with.

Last edited:

W7AX

Equipment
Mar 23, 2018
Polson, Montana
I guess I have never heard of assembling the actual truss onsite. Here by law, they must be manufactured by a company licensed to do that and the engineering data is included. As I said before, here they bring you the truss and put it where it is supposed to go. Maybe they do things in Florida differently than they do here. :)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I guess I have never heard of assembling the actual truss onsite. Here by law, they must be manufactured by a company licensed to do that and the engineering data is included. As I said before, here they bring you the truss and put it where it is supposed to go. Maybe they do things in Florida differently than they do here. :)
Yea I'm just west of you (ID) and they wouldn't do that here either, but AZ, Florida and other states / locations that don't have snow issues can get away with different ways of building like segmented steel trusses. ;)

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont
I will do something like this for mine I think.
https://goo.gl/images/rSByBZ

My idea is to place pole butt at hole then get on opposite side of hole facing butt end with tractor and reach along pole to tie on past the 1/2 way point which will make it butt heavy.
Pick up while backing up sliding butt in on sheet metal like Bruce mentioned. More backing up than lifting.
All the weight it'll pick up on the 3 point to counteract the leverage.

That way the force of something goes wrong is all trying to go away from the tractor in a direct line. Hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I haven't checked on my posting in while - so to finish up, I will assure you that these trusses are engineered.

I have stamped engineering drawings and those meet the Florida Building code (probably other States too).

When I say i am "assembling" the trusses, I mean I bolt the two sections together (each section is about 19 feet long). It would be difficult to ship a 38ft steel truss in one piece.

then the builder (me) has to set the trusses on the Posts and ties everything together.

Note the "steel trusses" in the photo. They bolt together at center. But the actual truss is built/welded in a jig by the manufacturer.

Attachments

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I will do something like this for mine I think.
https://goo.gl/images/rSByBZ

My idea is to place pole butt at hole then get on opposite side of hole facing butt end with tractor and reach along pole to tie on past the 1/2 way point which will make it butt heavy.
Pick up while backing up sliding butt in on sheet metal like Bruce mentioned. More backing up than lifting.
All the weight it'll pick up on the 3 point to counteract the leverage.

That way the force of something goes wrong is all trying to go away from the tractor in a direct line. Hopefully.
I like your plan - but I'm not sure if I can do it that way because I will have a hard time sliding the post into the hole

as I am "required" (per Plans) to drive 1/2" rebar through the posts "North to South" and "East to West" at 12", 24" and 36" from the bottom of the post. This is to prevent uplift (and the post is also cemented into the hole).

So it's not going to want to "slide" into the hole.

I think I will need to rent a boom lift (or build a pole-extension to set over my bucket or forks) so I can set the posts "straight down" into the holes.

I'll probably rent this:

Attachments

Last edited:

barbjk

Equipment
tractor
Apr 6, 2018
Prince George, BC
We did that last year. put the rope at one end and lifted the post up, one person steered it into the hole. No sweat. 70hp tractor.

Posts only weigh 200 or less pounds.

sorry no photos. I was operating the tractor then got made redundant.

barbjk

Equipment
tractor
Apr 6, 2018
Prince George, BC
Hi Mike

When I had an indoor arena built the builder made a template on the arena wall and preassembled? if that is the term, 5 trusses then lifted them with a zoom boom and drove down the centre of the building to lift and install. Piece of cake. All matched (40m) iwth a truss every 2' (snow load here).

I have photos someplace.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I see safety regulations on construction sites drive more and bigger entire roof assemblies to be built on the ground and then hoisted in one lift into place and secured.

I understand your initial issue was erecting the vertical poles.

I can envision the poles being attached to the roof assembly using a hinge so the poles are lying horizontally and then when lifted the poles are hanging from the assembled roof. Now you guide each pole into its hole and secure at top and bottom.

Dave

Jfet

Apr 7, 2017
Monroe, WA
Not sure about your model of Kubota but we are building a pole barn (not from a kit) and have been using our Kubota U35-4 to lift and install 6x6 20 foot posts into 4.5 foot deep holes dug by the U35-4 with a 12 inch bucket. The bottom 6 inches of the hole we poured a concrete pad, so the posts are actually 4 feet deep, which is about right for frost.

What I did was get a couple feet of 1/4" grade 8 chain and wrap it around the bucket teeth, then connected a 3 inch heavy ratchet strap from the ends of that chain around the wood post, with a section of rubber horse stall type mat between the bucket and wood post. I did a similar thing on the other side of the bucket such that the two straps were about 2 feet apart on the post. Ratchet down tight so the rubber mat is firmly squished, hop in the excavator, make sure nobody is around me, then lift up the post slowly, carefully and plop it vertically in the hole. I didn't even knock down a teaspoon of dirt from the edge of the hole (getting good with the controls I guess).

I feel it is a little bit of tractor abuse, but dang it is sure easy and can be done with one person.