Antifreeze Rated Temp

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I have a question. New to this site. Purchased my first Kubota Tractor today, it is a MX5800 with FEL installed. I was going through the paperwork with the sales department and they had an inspection check list they performed on the tractor. On the anti freeze it stated checked at -10 degrees. I was concerned with this number as I live in Missouri and the temp over the weekend is calling for -8 for the low. I questioned the salesman and he is looking into this. I have always ran about -30 to -40 on all my vehicles just to be safe. Has anyone ever noticed this or what are your thoughts. Sorry if this was answered somewhere else but getting used to forum. Thanks in advance.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Before I did anything I would check with my own tools to see if I came up with the same reading. I'd feel more comfortable if it was a lower temp rating, so I ask the dealer service dept. why they send it out at -10. Just saving a couple dollars on fluids? Seems silly on their part.

Welcome to the form. What part of Mo. you located?

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
The documentation says -10, and the forecast is -08? Even in warm climates Kubota recommends 50/50 for a freeze point of -34f.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Thank you RJ I agree with you, I am still on the service department to correct before delivery. Also thanks to this website I was able to tell them there might be a recall currently on the tractor and sure enough there was! Funny they don't check there own inventory before selling! They are ordering the part needed to update so I can't be mad at them though.
It is right on the pre-delivery inspection sheet to check for campaigns! Did they even do a PDI?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Not sure what I PDI is but I am guessing it is a hand held or computer based run down? If they did I am unaware.
Pre-Delivery Inspection.....there should be a piece of paper that tells what they checked off before sending out the door ready to use.

m7060

Lifetime Member
Jul 13, 2014
london, ky
Should be at -30 > -40. Ask dealer to recheck to verify the -10. If correct, they need to remove coolant and replace with straight antifreeze, then run and recheck. Me personally I would check it at delivery to be sure it was done.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
If this dealer is not checking the PDI checklist and is skimping on fluids, I would be double checking everything that this dealer does. He may have shop personnel that are not certified or experienced. That is common but there should be at least one certified mechanic to check and verify that all of the work was performed correctly before the tractor leave the service department.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
This thread made me check mine today...5 balls floating...should be good to -35

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Investing $30 in an optical tester for antifreeze, battery specific gravity etc is a lot better than relying on a much cheaper floating probe device.

You take one drop of the fluid in question, place it on the instrument and close the cover glass. Look through the viewer to see results.

Pull it out at your dealer and quickly check the antifreeze in question. Then they will start taking you seriously.

It also will impress your friends.

https://www.amazon.ca/refractometer...1514599348&sr=8-4&keywords=anti-freeze+tester

Dave

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
If this dealer is not checking the PDI checklist and is skimping on fluids, I would be double checking everything that this dealer does. He may have shop personnel that are not certified or experienced. That is common but there should be at least one certified mechanic to check and verify that all of the work was performed correctly before the tractor leave the service department.
Set up and PDI is done by the Setup department, not the Service department.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Dealer called today and said they went back over the pdi, tested antifreeze at -34, and was delivering the tractor. I was at work and said ok. Arrived home excited to see my new tractor and did some checks of my own. The bucket is a L2256 and I paid for the L2235A. Only visual difference I see is the width being 65" instead of 72. The tire size is wider than the bucket. Would there be any other difference? Also tested antifreeze at -10. Would an automotive tester with floating balls perform the same test on a tractor? Going to discuss my concerns about everything and I wasnt sure about that 100%. Worked on cars all my life I wouldnt think there would be a difference. But you guys are the experts. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Dealer called today and said they went back over the pdi, tested antifreeze at -34, and was delivering the tractor. I was at work and said ok. Arrived home excited to see my new tractor and did some checks of my own. The bucket is a L2256 and I paid for the L2235A. Only visual difference I see is the width being 65" instead of 72 in which I didnt like. The tire size is wider than the bucket. Would there be any other difference? Also tested antifreeze at -10. Would an automotive tester with floating balls perform the same test on a tractor? Going to discuss my concerns about everything and I wasnt sure about that 100%. Worked on cars all my life I wouldnt think there would be a difference. But you guys are the experts. Thanks in advance!
Any instrument is only as good as its calibration. We all know a bathroom scale can be off several pounds. To decide if you can trust your bathroom scale you weigh yourself holding a 20 lb weight lifting piece to see if your weight increases by 20#. Next you put just the 20# weight on the scale and see if it weighs 20#. From that simple test you know if you can trust your scale.

Uncertain about the accuracy of your floating ball tester or whatever the dealer is using, buy a new bottle of High quality premixed antifreeze such as Prestone which will have its level of freeze protection prominently displayed on the container.

From PRESTONE's web site

50% Prestone® / 50% Water Mix
Freeze Up: -34°F / -37°C

If your floating ball tester produces test results on the brand new 50/50 premix that come close to the published performance of -34F then you can trust your instrument. If not then you are at great risk of engine damage.

A bucket narrower than the tires will be a curse. Imagine you are trying to excavate a trench. As the bucket digs deeper, your wheels, especially the front wheels, are staying up top of the excavation site. Soon you cannot go any deeper because your FEL will only go down a limited about below the level of the front tires.

Sounds like your dealer is not taking you seriously.

Dave

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
is it possible that your dealer checked the antifreeze in the overflow bottle and you checked it in the radiator? Seems like many people just check it from the overflow as it's easier to do. If the overflow was topped off with straight antifreeze, the measurement will likely not be the same.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Uhmm. Like dave_eng mentioned, the optical refractomers are very accurate and easily calibrated with distilled water. If your machine is stored in a heated garage perhaps you can afford a lengthy discussion with the dealer. If it’s outside I would get it right now before the block gets cracked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
I had the chance to speak to my salesman about my concerns in which we went over the equipment list. There was a mistake in the shipping and the wrong bucket was sent to the dealership. He apologized for the inconvenience and I apologized for not expressing my questions sooner. He set up an appointment for the two buckets to be swapped and even went out of his way and brought the bucket to my home after hours. He also brought an anti freeze refractometer and we tested both the radiator and overflow tank to reveal my tool was out of calibration. All of his assistance was very much appreciated in that he took time after hours to follow up, test, and go over questions I had. I feel much more confident with the support from the dealership and look forward to adding more implements to my collection with their help! Thank you all for the replies. Now I can't wait to put some hours on this monster orange tractor!

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I had the chance to speak to my salesman about my concerns in which we went over the equipment list. There was a mistake in the shipping and the wrong bucket was sent to the dealership. He apologized for the inconvenience and I apologized for not expressing my questions sooner. He set up an appointment for the two buckets to be swapped and even went out of his way and brought the bucket to my home after hours. He also brought an anti freeze refractometer and we tested both the radiator and overflow tank to reveal my tool was out of calibration. All of his assistance was very much appreciated in that he took time after hours to follow up, test, and go over questions I had. I feel much more confident with the support from the dealership and look forward to adding more implements to my collection with their help! Thank you all for the replies. Now I can't wait to put some hours on this monster orange tractor!
Thank you for letting us know the end of your story which has a happy ending.

Next Christmas ask Santa for a refractometer:)

Dave

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Its always good to hear about good outcomes. I hope you have many hours of trouble free operation.