another rookie question re: post hole auger

plumcrazy704406

Mar 11, 2014
toronto
ok, another rookie question here.

I'm looking at a land pride ph25 auger with 8 and 10"( I think these sizes are wrong) bits that appears to be in good shape. It has the hydraulic down pressure kit on it, but I do not have rear remotes on my b3000. Can I get extension or new lines to run to the front loader valve and will it work this way?? I did some searching but only came up with rear hookups.

thx in advance.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
There's all sorts of ways to make an existing valve work a different attachment, but perhaps the better question is, what's the 'normal' way to do this?

The normal way is to have a rear remote kit installed and that is covered by warranty, etc.

plumcrazy704406

Mar 11, 2014
toronto
yes, I agree with the normal way, but this came up for sale so it's more of a money shuffling thing. I could pass on it and put in the rear or purchase it and wait on the rear remote till later in the year when there is more expendables.

My hole needs are not anything major Might do 15-20 holes, unless I'm having so much fun I go crazy, but I thought it would be nice to have the down pressure. So what would be the way to use it without the rears?

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
A phd with no down pressure is fine for normal work.

Coupla things:

If you take a shovel full of sod out of each planned hole, you won't clog the digging teeth with grass and roots.

A sharp unworn tooth will dig into the ground loads better, than dull/worn cutting edges.

Take a big pipe wrench with you to unscrew the augur, should you grab a root or rock, and be unable to lift it.

Drill down 6-8", and lift the augur while spinning, to clean the bit, repeat till you reach the depth you want. Also lessens the possibility of a stuck augur.:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
For a little use as needed a long set of hoses and a couple of Quick disconnects will work fine, uncouple the loader and couple in the down pressure kit.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
For a little use as needed a long set of hoses and a couple of Quick disconnects will work fine, uncouple the loader and couple in the down pressure kit.
Aw, man, that's a great idea. But I wonder if it ever would have occurred to me if I hadn't seen it here! <sigh>

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
plumcrazy704406
I agree with wolfman. If you were going into full time fence building business then I'd suggest rear remotes but for occasional hole digging then FEL valve is fine. Once you get digger remember lower operating rpm's( about 1000 engine) and only let auger dig about 6 inches then raise 3 pt a little then drop back down to ensure auger doesn't "corkscrew" into soil.

plumcrazy704406

Mar 11, 2014
toronto
Murphy's law another phd has come up for sale, a Lienbach l7300 w/12" bit, no hydraulics. Where is the better dollar value, Lienbach, $600.00 no/hyd or Land pride (2006yr) pd25 w/ hyd , $1200.00? I know Lienbach is out of business now.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Several things, The LP PD25 is a far superior unit compared to the Leinbach.
You can still purchase new for $595
So the unit that came up for sale is no deal.

As far as the down pressure on the Land Pride, yes you can use your loader hydraulics, but either you need to run a separate return to tank line from the down pressure unit (which is the best and safest and what is recommended) or you need to use the loader lift circuit and remember to put the valve into float mode every time you raise the auger whenever you have used the down pressure kit. So pretty much a big hassle to use the down pressure unit if it is not plumbed properly with the return to tank line.

$1200 is a very good price for that LP, the down pressure kit alone is about $600.

Let us know what you end up with. ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Bracket on loader bucket, long hoses to rear of machine and aux hydros to run it. Makes it reversible and a pin on setup makes it a peach to hook up and remove. Was setup this way on a machine i used to operate.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Bracket on loader bucket, long hoses to rear of machine and aux hydros to run it. Makes it reversible and a pin on setup makes it a peach to hook up and remove. Was setup this way on a machine i used to operate.
I might be wrong here, but as far as the OP is concerned (I think) we are talking about a PTO driven auger, not a hydraulic driven auger. So front mount and reversible is probably out of the question. :confused:

plumcrazy704406

Mar 11, 2014
toronto
Several things, The LP PD25 is a far superior unit compared to the Leinbach.
You can still purchase new for $595
So the unit that came up for sale is no deal.

As far as the down pressure on the Land Pride, yes you can use your loader hydraulics, but either you need to run a separate return to tank line from the down pressure unit (which is the best and safest and what is recommended) or you need to use the loader lift circuit and remember to put the valve into float mode every time you raise the auger whenever you have used the down pressure kit. So pretty much a big hassle to use the down pressure unit if it is not plumbed properly with the return to tank line.

$1200 is a very good price for that LP, the down pressure kit alone is about $600.

Let us know what you end up with. ;)
I ended up with the Lienbach. For my needs and what I paid for it, I think I will be ok. The LP would have been nice, but I was able to see the Leinbach first and it doesn't look to be abused. I need it for fence maintenace.

Thx OTT mem's for all your help and suggestions.