Another B6000 PTO question

Hans

Equipment
B6000
Aug 3, 2011
Everett, Wa
Wondering if anybody knew much about the grey-market B6000 I have that has the gear-driven tiller bolted up directly to the tractor where the PTO output normally would be? Is there a PTO assembly I can get that will bolt up and mesh with the gears? The previous owner built a "block-off plate" to use the 3pt hitch when he took off the tiller, but this doesn't allow any PTO-driven 3pt implements...

What is available out there? I know of the Hub City reverser, but this is only useful if you already have a PTO output shaft. Is there any kind of unit that will bolt up, mesh with my tractor's gears and spin a 6 spline PTO in the correct direction for use with common 3 pt implements?

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, but I have an idea. My guess is that the B6000 you got didn't come with lower link arms, so to make a mount, the previous owner used the tiller mounting bolts to attach an assembly to which the lower links can be attached. Is that right?

I'm out of town and not near my B6000, but it seems like the lower link pins attach to the sides of the tractor, not the back. Maybe you could just build new mounts that relocate the lower link plates from the rear of the transmission case to the sides of the case.

There are spline adapters available that convert the small B6000 shaft into a normal 1 3/8" 6 spline shaft.

Having said that, I'm not sure there what implements you would need that can't be made to work with the reverse-rotating PTO. Perhaps a deck-type mower or slasher (swap the blades if you need to), a sickle bar mower and generator, and, possibly, some pumps. An auger or cement mixer needs a correctly rotating PTO because of the direction of the blades. You have a tiller. What else are you wanting to run?

I think the Hub City reverser is about the only option I know about, unfortunately. They're expensive. My B6000 had one, at one point, because the bracket is still on the tractor. Alas, it was missing when I bought it, and the previous owners didn't have it. :(

If you have multiple tractors and are wanting to swap implements between tractors, swapping blades on the cutters may not work, but otherwise I think you'll be ok.

Hans

Equipment
B6000
Aug 3, 2011
Everett, Wa
I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, but I have an idea. My guess is that the B6000 you got didn't come with lower link arms, so to make a mount, the previous owner used the tiller mounting bolts to attach an assembly to which the lower links can be attached. Is that right?
Well, not exactly. I have lower links I can attach, and per the P.O. when I remove the tiller and cover the hole left in the rear end with the plate he made (as well as a gadget that works up top for the single high point) I can attach the lower links to the pins you see and can run any non-pto small 3 pt attachment (plow, disk, etc.). The problem is, when I take off the tiller there is no PTO shaft remaining. Just an exposed gear behind a big ol' opening in the rear end. I've attached a few pics that might help explain better than I can-

The whole unit is removed by taking off the 4 newer-looking nuts in the pic below - that's where the block off plate goes.

Thoughts on how I can end up with a 1-3/8" PTO output shaft along with my cobbled-up 3 pt hitch system? I agree with you, the counter-rotating thing isn't insurmountable. I just need a shaft to work with.

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
Is the opening in the tractor common to the transmission case? Is the "gear" actually a gear, or is it a splined shaft? If it's a splined shaft, just get an adapter to 1 3/8". I imagine that the US market B6000s have a cover plate that fit over that opening and expose the shaft. The tiller looks to mount just like the one for my Yanmar 1401D. Mine has a female splined coupling that fits over the tractor's male end, and then the box of the tiller is bolted to the tractor. In point of fact, except for color, your tiller's joint looks absolutely identical to mine.

If it's not as I envision things, and there really is just a transversely mounted spur gear, that engages another spur gear in the tiller, then I don't know what to tell you or have any suggestions except to find a US B6000's back plate and put on and take off.

Hans

Equipment
B6000
Aug 3, 2011
Everett, Wa
Is the opening in the tractor common to the transmission case? Is the "gear" actually a gear, or is it a splined shaft? If it's a splined shaft, just get an adapter to 1 3/8". I imagine that the US market B6000s have a cover plate that fit over that opening and expose the shaft. The tiller looks to mount just like the one for my Yanmar 1401D. Mine has a female splined coupling that fits over the tractor's male end, and then the box of the tiller is bolted to the tractor. In point of fact, except for color, your tiller's joint looks absolutely identical to mine.

If it's not as I envision things, and there really is just a transversely mounted spur gear, that engages another spur gear in the tiller, then I don't know what to tell you or have any suggestions except to find a US B6000's back plate and put on and take off.
That's some good news there, 284. I haven't taken off the tiller yet - but the plate the P.O. gave me to cover it does not have a hole in it for the shaft to come through...
I'll take if off in a couple of weeks when I get it back to my shop for it's new paint job.
Really appreciate the info and the quick replies. This board is great!