Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Of course it all depends on who see's it, and how good or bad of a day they are having! :D

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
Thanks for your responses and especially to dotcop690 for providing the CFR regulations. I looked them up. Since my loads will almost always be less than 10,000 lbs., I am legal using two tiedowns (CFR 393.128). I don't haul my tractor often, but when I do, I want to be safe and legal.

Rockabye74

Equipment
L3560 HST-LE
Oct 12, 2023
Montross, Va
When I am towing heavy loads, there is another consideration. How much of my load do I want coming through the back window/cab of my truck when I t-bone the idiot who just ran a red light? Just remember that a body in motion wants to stay in motion and "you" are in the line of fire with anything you are hauling.
In motorcycle terms we used to ask people about the cost of their their helmets, what ratings they had, and then ask them what their head was worth? I think the same principal applies here. It may cost more to secure it properly, but there is peace of mind when you are driving on the road with people that have no concept of braking distances.
I almost always have additional straps or chains because too many times I have come to a stop only to see one of my straps that I just secured a few minutes ago, flapping in the breeze. Everything moves and flexes when you are towing, you just don't see it.

Reactions: 2 users

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
Maybe where you live. Can you tell me, the last time you saw heavy equipment moved on a lowboy, on an excavator, was the bucket chained down? On a backhoe, was the bucket chained down? On a dozer, was the blade chained down? I don't think so.
Around here: All the time. In fact, I can't recall the last time I saw a heavy vehicle being towed where the attachments were not tied down.