an iritating problem

food plot man

Equipment
LA481 front loader
Apr 10, 2011
Moran,Michigan,Mackinac
My LA481 front loader stops lifting when I pull the control lever all the way down. It lifts OK as I pull the lever down, slowly at first, but then normally, but it stops lifting when the lever hits the full position. This loader is on my L3010 diesel 2001 Kubota. I tried readjusting the threaded link between the control lever and the up and down valve, but it made no difference. Also just changed all the hydraulic oil and filters just to see if that would fix the problem.
A Kubota dealer told me that I might have some water in the control valve, but to be very careful not to lose the parts when disassembling the valve. Not sure if this is a real fix or not, so I hate to take it apart if some of you guys think it might be something else or have other suggestions.

If that really might be the problem, any suggestions on how to procede? This is the standard control valve that is mounted on the loader. It looks to have two cylinders, one for up and down and the other for roll and dump.

This is not a big problem, because the loader still works up and down. It is just irritating when the loader stops lifting at full position. I appreciate any ideas and help. Thanks.

uncle jed

Equipment
1990 f2100
Oct 25, 2009
hillsboro,tx. 76645
Welcome to O.T.T .. some of us think its the best place on the net, with some of the best people around. glad you could join us. some body will be along shortly with ideas on what your problem is with your loader. uncle jed

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Your phrase "the loader stops lifting at full position" kinda confuses me. There is only a certain height that a loader will lift to then it stops completely. Are you saying that if you take the joystick control and push it all the way down the loader will not lift at all but only goes up slowly if you move the joystick control half way.

Last edited by a moderator:

food plot man

Equipment
LA481 front loader
Apr 10, 2011
Moran,Michigan,Mackinac
Sorry for the confusion. I should have explained that when I pull the joy stick all the way back the loader stops to lift up. This happens even when the bucket is low (not all the way up). There is a very slight difference in the position of the joy stick where the loader will lift to where it stops lifting. I suspect at some point in pulling back all the way on the joy stick, a port in the valve is either opens or closes to stop the hyrdolic pressure. I just can't understand how some water in the valve would cause this problem. That is why I thought I'd ask someone who has had this problem for advice before I start tearing down the valve for no good reason. Hope I explained the problem a little better. Thanks.

I should also say that the loader lifts like it should before it hits the position where it stops completely to lift when the joy stick is all the way back. It is a very touchy little bit of movement of the joy stick to the point where this happens. That is what makes it so darn irritating.

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
It could be that your "float" position is all the way back. There are some tractors built that way.

Usually "float" is all the way forward but I have seen a You Tube video with the lever pulled all the way to the rear to float the bucket. The guy was using it for snow removal. I thought it was weird at the time but further research explained that in a few tractors that is the way it is set up.

That may not be the situation with your tractor but it is worth a try to find out. See if your float is all the way forward. If it is then disregard this post.

food plot man

Equipment
LA481 front loader
Apr 10, 2011
Moran,Michigan,Mackinac
Thx for the tip GWD, but my loader intruction book shows the float position in the very forward position of the joy stick. And, that is really how it has worked over the years when I want to smooth out an area.

Mingy

Equipment
L3010 backhoe FEL, B2300, M9000
Jul 27, 2010
Ontario
I have exactly the same tractor and loader, but fortunately, not the same problem. I have the tractor service manual as well, but I don't think it includes the information on the loader.

Just in case - are you absolutely certain the three point hitch is not in the 'up' position? This screws with the loader operation.

Also, its hard to see how you would get water in the hydraulic part of the control. The loader hydralics use the tractor fluid so the water would eventually find its way to the reservoir and evaporate.

You might consider rebuilding the control. I am pretty sure the control is completely removable from the tractor, but you'll have to cap some hoses.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Hello,

my first idea was that the valve is missadjusted. The little steel rod, that direct the hydraulicflow could come into a position when you pull down, that the flow stops. When you move the control stick slowly down is the loader moving up and increase speed until it stops immidiately or does it stop slowly when you reach the full down position?
It could also be, as you described "It is a very touchy little bit of movement of the joy stick to the point where this happens" that the steel rod of the walve is a "little bit loose" and "shoot" into the position to stop the flow.

Looks like you have to open the valve...

carl

food plot man

Equipment
LA481 front loader
Apr 10, 2011
Moran,Michigan,Mackinac
Hello,

my first idea was that the valve is missadjusted. The little steel rod, that direct the hydraulicflow could come into a position when you pull down, that the flow stops. When you move the control stick slowly down is the loader moving up and increase speed until it stops immidiately or does it stop slowly when you reach the full down position?
It could also be, as you described "It is a very touchy little bit of movement of the joy stick to the point where this happens" that the steel rod of the walve is a "little bit loose" and "shoot" into the position to stop the flow.

Looks like you have to open the valve...

carl
Yea, Carl, I agrre that based on what it looks like, I will eventually have to take the up and down side of the valve apart to fix the problem. The way it works is the loader works the way it is supposed to as I pull the joy stick back, but just before I get to the full back position, it comes to a full and sudden stop. That tells me that the cylinder rod has gone too far up and has bypassed a dent port or something. When I get more time and the weather warms up here in the north country, I'll work on it. There is still ice on the lakes around here. Too damn cold.

Swanny

Equipment
B2150HST w/ Greens Machine thumb, Woods RM660 mower, Curtis plow
Sep 5, 2017
Solebury, PA
Realize this thread is a few years dated, but did you finally fix the problem? If so, what was the solution?

I have the exact same problem on a B2400 with an LA351 loader. Loader lever works perfect in all positions except pulled all the way down, then the upward motion of the loader stops. If I let up slightly on the lever, it then continues raising at full speed again. Baffling.

Steve