Alternator/generator size?

UWAdventurer

Equipment
Kubota L3400 w/FEL & Woods 7500 backhoe
May 24, 2011
Coatesville, IN
I am not sure, does the L3400 have an alternator or generator? I am thinking an alternator. What is the amperage for the stock one on the L3400?

Thanks.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Alternator. They haven't used generators except for special purposes for since the 70s. A quick google says it's a 40amp unit. About enough for the battery and the lights. Why what are you looking at adding?

UWAdventurer

Equipment
Kubota L3400 w/FEL & Woods 7500 backhoe
May 24, 2011
Coatesville, IN
I thought they had alternators, just making sure.

It previously had two 55W work lights on the ROPS for the back hoe added to it. I added two more 55W flood lights to point forward that are on the ROPS. I don't see running all 4 additional lights at the same time with the normal lights. Probably just will run two additonal lights at a time, just wondering if I have enough amps. I know each set of additonal lights pulls about 10 amps. I had 2 55W work lights on my last tractor (L2950) and never had a problem, I am not anticipating any here, thoughts?

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
With two you'd probably be fine. 14.4V x 40amps = 576 watts. So assuming you're only drawing an extra 110 watts (+/-) you're probably within the limits of the current system except at maximum draw. The battery draws the most fully discharged and drops exponentially from there so it doesn't create a huge load unless you've had to crank it for 15 minutes. I don't know what your head lights are rated at plus you may have a fuel pump or some other electrically powered junk on that machine. I'd try it and watch the charging idiot light (or put a multimeter across the battery terminals). If it comes on (or you drop below 14V) then you're overdrawing the system and need to increase engine rpm or take some load off the electrical system (i.e. the lights).

Last edited: