All season storage thoughts

Tallbald

Nov 24, 2015
KY
Here's what I have in our suburban yard for storage options for my soon to begin restoring 1980 L185. The current patio stone area is made of 12x12 concrete blocks with weed block underneath, and they are cut in flush to the soil. I'm going to expand the area to 6 x 10 which should park orange Crush on concrete all year. Up to now I had thought i'd be limited to a tarp. Thoughts about a cover appreciated. The blocked up platform you see in the pictures is a pedestal for Penny's and my garden rain collection barrel. It's put up for the cold season right now. I can/will move it to the left an additional 1/2 foot. Thanks. Don.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Don -

I'd try to figure outta way to fashion some kind EMT, or Schedule 40 PVC frames - one next to the house, another outside of your pad. One next to garage 7' tall or so, the outer one shorter, connected with T-'s to make "rafters" like you saw in the other pics.

Stretch tarp over the frame. Tie them down with long tent stakes or something similar.

Would make a temporary lean-to off the side of your garage, with water shedding away from the house.

I'm guessing in KY, you don't have to deal with big snow? Wind would probably be the bigger concern.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
cut a big hole in the wall and put in double doors,,,, well ya asked :D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I would build a lean-to also. A few sticks of lumber and a few sheets of plywood. Ready for vinyl. 8 feet at existing wall and 7 feet at outside wall. Couple bundles of shingles and less than a box of vinyl.
I would build for longevity, as a tarp shelter will only last so long. Im guessing it would cost me 500 to build something that would match existing building. Thats up here dollars.

Cutting a hole and putting in a door would cost about the same.
That is if you are a diy-er like myself.

Last edited:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
If this will be parking for the tractor after restoration, then build a better enclosure now. At least a good permanent roof, temporary or permanent walls as you choose during the restoration. Up here I would have a good permanent enclosure, but I know there are a lot of carport roofs in KY.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
What might look nice is if you could attach a "lean-to" as TJ mentioned, to, or more accurately abut the existing building, but that had rooflines that paralled the ones we can see, but lower under the eaves. Of course it's only fair to warn you from personal experience that my little barn "add on" to house my tractor got way out of hand. Better get rid of the tractor before it's too late :eek:

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Don, these are all good suggestions, and I especially liked your idea of pavers. However, on second thought, they are awfully expensive (I've been considering the same thing for the area under my deck). Would you consider a pad of gravel, maybe pea-gravel or some such?

Also, with the tarp canopy/lean-to, what impact will it have on your neighborhood? Looks like a very nice, upscale subdivision. A little extra expense to enhance appearance seems like a good investment.

Tallbald

Nov 24, 2015
KY
ShaunBlake Hello. Actually the 12x12 pavers here in Southern KY cost about $1.80 each,are permanent, and unlike gravel they don't sink into our soil. I need thirty. Weed block fabric under them keeps 90 percent of weeds out too. Actually our neighborhood is middle class and from the 70's. I wouldn't put anything tacky in place, but remember we have a manure spreader decorating our front yard and trimmed for the each holiday! Even a solid lean-to roof is a possibility. One that matches our garage. SO tickled looking forward to my restoration. Neighbors seem excited for me too. Country people transplants make good neighbors. Don