Air filter question

fuzzydawg

Equipment
L3400 HST
Oct 11, 2011
Bluffton, MO
I ordered an air filter for my L3400, and didn't pay close enough attention to the description (INNER air filter, part # TA040-93220). When I opened up the filter assembly this weekend, I could immediately see I had the wrong part. My manual only specifies "single element filter", but it looks like the new filter I got could actually slip inside the existing filter (which I guess is the OUTER filter).

To make matters more confusing, the part number printed on the old filter is TA040-93231, which nobody carries. Looks like it may have been replaced by TA040-93230.

So - does anybody run with both filters? Good idea or not? I'd think it would only be useful in really dusty conditions. However, since my manual only mentions the single element I'm reluctant to use two.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
A dealer would know the answer to all of your questions. Also, Messicks might be a good source. You can also go the the Wix filter web site and get cross references to all of the necessary filters.

I doubt that using the new filter as an "inner" would be any advantage since the tractor likely doesn't have a housing that would seat the filter correctly.

Additionally, two filters, when one is specified, may cause more air restriction than the tractor is designed for.

Go with the manual.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Similar machine, same engine.

Ours came with dual filtration and I wish all ours had it.

Cheap insurance.

You can probably obtain the correct filter housing to use stacked inner-outer filters and retrofit but no idea the cost.

Yours MAY have the internal seating surface to enable use of both filters even if your machine came with one filter installed. Careful checking and looking at part numbers stamped into the filter housing might tell you and then comparing to parts schematics.

I've had trouble crossing filter part numbers from non-dealer sources--get all kinds of weird stuff. Order from a dealer if not one local as a few gulps of dusty air will not be kindly regarded by our friends the air-breathers.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I actually switched my L3000 over to a dual element filter system. Having the inner filter is just like life insurance for your engine. If the outer filter fails for some reason the inner is there to CYA. All it takes is one day of running in dust to destroy your engine. Dual air filtration IMHO should be standard on all equipment.