Air compressor for tractor

Manvito

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Apr 27, 2016
New York
A friend of mine is a mechanic for Peterbuilt and tells me they have air compressors on some of the truck to run air lines. Has anyone ever seen anything like this for a compact tractor? I think it would be great to have mobile compressed air on my B2601. I have a feeling the answer is no but I thought it would be worth asking.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'm not sure about Kubota models. But a direct bolt on compressor is an option on some Deere engines pre tier 4. Not sure about the tier 4 engines. Compressor mounted to a plate on the side of the crank case and ran off the drive gears. Just had to remove a blank plate and add the compressor and gear. Compressor also required a couple of coolant lines, and oil pressure line.

It was an expensive add on though at around $1,800 for the compressor, gear not included. Coolant lines ran a couple hundred each, oil line was around $50. Then you still needed to run the air lines, tank and pressure reliefs, which the fittings will nickel and dime you to death.

If you could figure out a spot to mount it up front using a longer fan belt, you could mount one that's belt drive. But they do take up space and would be outside the hood and could very well have clearance issues

I had some equipment at work that had the belt drive compressor.

Had one that the pulley snapped on. Did a number search on make and model. Come to find out, one of the main applications was on old ford trucks. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had a Jeep CJ5 that I built and installed an AC compressor on and it worked excellent for air. It had a quick disconnect and I keep a hose in the Jeep to reach the right rear wheel (the furthest one).

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I used to have an onboard air system in my Jeep Wrangler. I used a York air conditioning compressor from a Volvo. The York compressor was the choice for most off-roaders because it had an oil reservoir and you did not have to worry about lubrication. Also, the York compressor could be oriented vertical or at a 45 degree angle. It was bolted to the engine block with a special adapter and driven via serpentine belt. I bought the kit from a place called onboardair.com but when I looked up that website it seems that they are not in business anymore.

You might try looking at some of the systems on this website. The VIAIR compressor is a very good one. I have one that I have been using for many years now. I never had a problem with it.

http://www.onboard-air.com/Onboard-Air-Systems/

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
I built a hydraulic power unit for mounting on 3 point hitch. It powers a FEL mounted mower. There are two wing shelves attached to the side of the reservoir. One shelf will carry a mini 4 stroke 2000watt generator. The other shelf can carry a small A-C compressor for mobile application. I do not plan to carry a compressor. Other shelf will carry deep cycle battery to power fan for hyd cooler, Generator has dedicated 12V DC circuit to keep battery charged. Also CAB has elec A/C, generator powers that A/C unit.

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
All big trucks have built in air compressors to run the brakes. Big trucks use air to run the brakes not hydraulic. We used to put fittings on all our trucks to hook an air hose up to blow up tires, run blow guns and air wrenches out in the field.

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com

Probably TOO much work, but on my 50 Willys with a 95 Vortec V6
I use the old AC Compressor and an air tank from a "smaller" air brake
equipt truck for the tank and on the rear bumper I have a small regulator
mounted (which needs replacement due to a wheeling incident).

If you could find a place to mount and drive an AC Compressor you are
half way there.
:D

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
A friend of mine is a mechanic for Peterbuilt and tells me they have air compressors on some of the truck to run air lines. Has anyone ever seen anything like this for a compact tractor? I think it would be great to have mobile compressed air on my B2601. I have a feeling the answer is no but I thought it would be worth asking.
Start searching for "air horns for gas engine trucks.

You will find electric driven compressors, a small air tank and a set of horns. Now you will sound like an 18 wheeler and have air for other purposes not a large volume though.

There are small electric compressors for vehicles with air shocks to allow the ride height to be adjusted.

Why do you need portable air? If you already have a shop air compressor, they buying a portable air tank will be a far better solution.

Dave

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Have one of these on my 4Runner off road equipped vehicle.. Certainly have gone up in price.. Mine purchased years ago was pricey then.. at around $500.00. 1/3hp continuous duty motor draws 28 amps on 12VDC when running. Still running great!

http://cfpco.com/Products/Oil-Less-Articulating-Piston-Compressors/TA-4101-DC-270025.html

One thing most people don't know about in particular buying small electric compressors... If you live at altitude, you need to consider the effect. Just as engines lose power at altitude, compressors do the same, causing the non continuous duty cheapies to burnt out. https://www.gd-thomas.com/assets/AltitudeCorrection.pdf

As mentioned above in several posts, many off roaders have converted the older York recipicating piston air conditioning compressors to be air compressors as shown here. http://jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/yorkair.html

Last edited:

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
Check with AW Direct for a high end 12 VDC compressor, high end meaning one that won't burn out immediately. They are a supplier for the towing industry. One advantage to going this route would be you could use it on your other rigs, boats, whatever, plus not tying up your PTO.

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Check with AW Direct for a high end 12 VDC compressor, high end meaning one that won't burn out immediately. They are a supplier for the towing industry. One advantage to going this route would be you could use it on your other rigs, boats, whatever, plus not tying up your PTO.
Ditto.. AW Direct carries quality gear.. Depending on your needs as mentioned above, I also have this handy device that always goes in the car for long cross country trips.. https://www.awdirect.com/jncair-jump-starter-air-compressor-jncair/jump-packs/

After having the air compressor and dual battery system in my 4Runner save my bacon on the road out in remote areas (nails in multiple tires after driving through an area with lots of new house construction going on) and a good battery that decided to fail (inter cell strap welds can crack and fail without warning).

The JumpNAir always goes in the car for long trips.

Manvito

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Apr 27, 2016
New York
Lots of replies! Lots of good ideas too. I was hoping to find something that I could just both on easily and relatively inexpensive. It seems there are a lot of ways to have portable air. I really like the portable air compressor that hooks up to the tractor battery. It’s not exactly what I’d want but everything else seems like too much trouble being that I don’t have a specific need for air in mind.