Ag tires mounted backwards?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
My recently purchased B7100D (4x4) has all 4 tires mounted backwards. Coming from the SE (Alabama) with mud and red clay, I've never seen where that was done, or would make sense. Is there a possible reason for this? Perhaps related to our hard dry soil in the Phoenix, AZ area? Or did the last person to mount them just not have a clue?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hmm. I was thinking of this as a maintenance issue (as in I need to reverse them), but perhaps it should have been in Operations? Or maybe Tires? Oh well, can't move it now...

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I sure can't think of a good reason.

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
I was told once by a tractor dealer that mounting them backwards gives you better traction in mud. Never tried it though, it just wouldn't look right!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I don't see how. I've spun more than once backing up- you'd think traction would improve, according to that logic. I'd switch them around.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'd switch them to normal.
Their directionality is to make them self-cleaning; running backwards will just pack mud into the cleats and gives almost no tread for grip.
A bit like the tread on vehicle "rain tires" with the tread spread out forward, to let the water flow out and leave the rubber to make contact.

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
Here's what I can say none of the tractor tire mud truck guys I run with run them backwards . So get them back on right .

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
That's what I thought, but you don't know what you don't know, and I have no experience running tractors on AZ colecchi/dirt/dust. And my off-road experience is almost exclusively "rock crawling", a TOTALLY different world.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Darn, I knew I was missing something. Glad you caught me when you did, I was going to reverse the tires tonight, that was close...

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
I've mounted my rear tires backwards on purpose.
It gave me a bit wider of a stance which was needed to mount the tiller.
Having the tires on "normal" didn't allow me to clear the tires with the 3ph arms with the tiller mounted.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm actually talking about the wheels turned normal, but the tires reversed. Basically, mounted on the wrong side. Flipping the rims for wider stance you can still keep the correct tread orientation by switching side.

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
That's what I thought, but you don't know what you don't know, and I have no experience running tractors on AZ colecchi/dirt/dust. And my off-road experience is almost exclusively "rock crawling", a TOTALLY different world.
Ya I do rock crawling also . And mud .

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

ctmike

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3750 DT with loader, brush mower, rear grader blade, box scraper, rear blower,
May 10, 2013
Suffield, CT
I'd switch them to normal.
Their directionality is to make them self-cleaning; running backwards will just pack mud into the cleats and gives almost no tread for grip.
A bit like the tread on vehicle "rain tires" with the tread spread out forward, to let the water flow out and leave the rubber to make contact.
I was thinking the same thing when the dealer told me that. Maybe he was just trying to see if he could get me to turn my tires around :)

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I take it that you are just going to swap sides with the tires rather than remove them and remount them the on the same rim. Anyway, I hope that is the plan.

The fronts should be easy with the FEL as a jack. Still, use jack stands.

The rears may be more interesting, especially if they are filled with liquid. You'll need a heavy duty floor jack and a couple of jack stands. Roll the tires from one side to the other and let the jack down on that side until the holes (or studs, if so equipped) all line up.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Already done, but thanks.

Yes, swapped side to side.

The tractor is currently (still) on 4 heavy duty jack stands. To get the tires on, I set the brake to keep the hub from turning, and used a board to lever up just off center while braced with my knee opposite, lined up and slid the top bolt in. I'm used to heavy tires with the 42" IROKs and bead-locks that were on my old rock crawler. It would have been MUCH easier with studs, but really not a big deal other than getting black from trying to fiddle with both loose bolt and nut. Really? Kubota can't use studs? Sheesh...

It will probably come down off the stands tonight. I want to take a good look learn what I can about the front drive not working, so need the tires off the ground. Also surprising, but it's too low to get under on a creeper without being up on the stands.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I have no idea if really works but in my area operators that use their tractors to load trucks (sand pit, quarry) almost all have their tires set 'backwards'. They claim it helps them back out of a pile with more traction.

On outfit has one tire normal, one backwards on multiple machines because they always stab their pile and load trucks from one side in a loop drive-by.

I think any perceived benefits are mostly hogwash and probably started when some old-timer told a kid that was the way to do it---like sending the youngster to look for the skyhook.

It's a crazy world.