Advice on which tractor to get

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I'm getting ready to buy my first tractor and need some opinions on which one to get. I'm on a bit less than 11 fully forested acres in North ID. I had a house built recently and have about a 250 foot long gravel driveway and the house is surrounded by pine trees.

I'm planning on thinning out the lodgepole pines around the house by cutting them down and cutting the trunk into a few pieces to be moved with a grapple. So far I've cleared all the underbrush for a distance of about 150-200 feet from the house and cleared out some small trees. I did this with an old push mower and a brush cutter/string trimmer and it's way too much work and need a tractor. I have some huge brush piles now. LOL The largest trees I plan on cutting have 10-12 inch diameter trunks. I don't mind removing trees for tractor access.

I'm planning on getting a Landpride grapple to move brush and logs, snow blade to clear my driveway, and a front bucket so far. I'm thinking of getting a ballast box or a box blade for weight to balance out the grapple. How useful would a box blade be in a forest setting? I don't know what other uses I will put the tractor to right now and what other implements to get.

I was thinking of either a B2650 or an L3301 with the ROPS. Would either fit through a 7 foot high garage door? Which one do you think would be better for case and what implements would be of the most use? Thanks!

This is a photo taken when the house was still under construction and shows part of the driveway and all the trees I have. The underbrush around the house is gone now:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I'm getting ready to buy my first tractor and need some opinions on which one to get. I'm on a bit less than 11 fully forested acres in North ID. I had a house built recently and have about a 250 foot long gravel driveway and the house is surrounded by pine trees.

I'm planning on thinning out the lodgepole pines around the house by cutting them down and cutting the trunk into a few pieces to be moved with a grapple. So far I've cleared all the underbrush for a distance of about 150-200 feet from the house and cleared out some small trees. I did this with an old push mower and a brush cutter/string trimmer and it's way too much work and need a tractor. I have some huge brush piles now. LOL The largest trees I plan on cutting have 10-12 inch diameter trunks. I don't mind removing trees for tractor access.

I'm planning on getting a Landpride grapple to move brush and logs, snow blade to clear my driveway, and a front bucket so far. I'm thinking of getting a ballast box or a box blade for weight to balance out the grapple. How useful would a box blade be in a forest setting? I don't know what other uses I will put the tractor to right now and what other implements to get.

I was thinking of either a B2650 or an L3301 with the ROPS. Would either fit through a 7 foot high garage door? Which one do you think would be better for case and what implements would be of the most use? Thanks!

This is a photo taken when the house was still under construction and shows part of the driveway and all the trees I have. The underbrush around the house is gone now:

picture didnt work even with cut and paste.......

and to answer ROPS question - NO !!! unless you have a folding ROPS.
the L is your better option IF you can afford it.

Fernsboy

Equipment
B2650 fel,
May 6, 2015
Oil City, PA
The size tractor you are going to want will not fit through your garage door unless you fold the ROPS. That said, I am very happy with my B2650. It gives you the option of a front mount snow blower and falls below the Tier IV regs.

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA

afret,

Nice place you have there!

For sure one the fold over ROP and your garage door!

Your driveway will be nicely served by a box blade to tidy it up and push off the middle berm that will eventually get created just driving in and out with your other vehicles. Plus there are many other uses for the box blade which I'll skip here.

I guess I'm partial to the L series but for your uses, you might also consider the BX with 28 HP.

Good luck and have fun shopping!

Burt

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
picture didnt work even with cut and paste.......

and to answer ROPS question - NO !!! unless you have a folding ROPS.
the L is your better option IF you can afford it.
Sorry about the photo. I was wrong about the garage door. It's actually an 8 foot door.

The size tractor you are going to want will not fit through your garage door unless you fold the ROPS. That said, I am very happy with my B2650. It gives you the option of a front mount snow blower and falls below the Tier IV regs.
Glad you're very happy with the your B2650. That's why I'm having a hard time making up my mind. :)
Great not to have that DPF.

afret,

Nice place you have there!

For sure one the fold over ROP and your garage door!

Your driveway will be nicely served by a box blade to tidy it up and push off the middle berm that will eventually get created just driving in and out with your other vehicles. Plus there are many other uses for the box blade which I'll skip here.

I guess I'm partial to the L series but for your uses, you might also consider the BX with 28 HP.

Good luck and have fun shopping!

Burt
Thanks! I think I'll get a box blade instead of the ballast box but which one is good? Maybe one by Landpride?

Hey, I don't need to have another one (BX) to choose from! LOL Do you think the L would be overkill or is it better to get one that's a bit more than what you think you need? I'm kind of concerned about being able to pick up all the cut logs and brush with a grapple and moving them around.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
knowing it's an 8 foot door. go L. for sure. research the blade options, the L 2501 is non-DPF. but not much for power....but still has the weight.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Looks like a great place to live and work.
I have a BX and it is perfect for my location and what I use it for. I would want more tractor for your site and the work you have planned. Someone else will have to weigh in on B vs L. I think 8' doors would work for most Kubotas, but go to the Kubota site: https://www.kubota.com/ You can get all the specifications and study at your leisure versus trying to absorb it all in a sales room.

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
knowing it's an 8 foot door. go L. for sure. research the blade options, the L 2501 is non-DPF. but not much for power....but still has the weight.
Looks like a great place to live and work.
I have a BX and it is perfect for my location and what I use it for. I would want more tractor for your site and the work you have planned. Someone else will have to weigh in on B vs L. I think 8' doors would work for most Kubotas, but go to the Kubota site: https://www.kubota.com/ You can get all the specifications and study at your leisure versus trying to absorb it all in a sales room.
Thanks for the advice guys. And thanks for the link. I better do more reading on this and visit the local dealer.