Advice on trailer for BX23S

2 Bears

Feb 27, 2018
PA
Looking to purchase my first trailer, i have a kubota BX23S I would like to haul on it. Truck towing capacity 6400 lbs. Machine weight with some fluff for safety 3000lbs. 12ft long. Trying to decide on an 16 or 18' car hauler type trailer and between wood or steel decking.

Any options?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Longer is better, better ability to get weight distributed properly.
Tandem axle, Tandem brakes, load range E tires.
I'm not a fan of steel or aluminum decks, they get very slippery when wet, they hold oil and get slippery, Tractor and Implements can slide and shift much easier on a metal deck when loading and hauling.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Looking to purchase my first trailer, i have a kubota BX23S I would like to haul on it. Truck towing capacity 6400 lbs. Machine weight with some fluff for safety 3000lbs. 12ft long. Trying to decide on an 16 or 18' car hauler type trailer and between wood or steel decking.

Any options?
Go no less than 16'......double axle.....brakes on at least one axle.

Reactions: 1 user

2 Bears

Feb 27, 2018
PA
I guess i should have specified that i do intend to get tandem axles with brakes on both axles.

BillK01

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, LP 1560 back blade, Front mount snow blower, Ferris ISX800 ZTR
Mar 17, 2017
Near Pittsburgh, PA
This is the Sure Trac I bought for my BX2360. With my FEL and Rear Blade on the quick hitch attached I only have maybe a foot or so to spare. The trailer is a 16’. If I had it to do over again and had a BX with a backhoe I’d probably opt for an 18 footer honestly. Very happy with the Sure Trac so far it pulls great and seems to be really nice quality for 3k.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I guess i should have specified that i do intend to get tandem axles with brakes on both axles.
You really need two axles......
unless you find some crazy military trailer! :D

Not sure I know of a car hauler with only one axle!;)
14' is about the max you will find for one axle - yes the 23S WILL fit on 14' - but you will need to turn the hoes almost 90 degrees and bucket will need to be over the front edge.

WHY you not want double axle?

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
I have this dual axle single brake wood deck trailer. Been a really great trailer rated for 9000lbs. Only problem is it’s 13.5’ long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
You really need two axles......
unless you find some crazy military trailer! :D

Not sure I know of a car hauler with only one axle!;)
14' is about the max you will find for one axle - yes the 23S WILL fit on 14' - but you will need to turn the hoes almost 90 degrees and bucket will need to be over the front edge.

WHY you not want double axle?
He did state he intends to get "tandem axles with brakes on both axles"

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Ill second the call for not getting a metal deck for the reasons stated as well as its easier to replace deck boards than it is to repair a metal deck.

Sounds like a 10,000 pound equipment trailer is what you want. What is the tow rig?

Firefighterontheside

Equipment
1997 Kubota L4200
May 24, 2018
DeSoto Mo USA
You don’t need anything more than a 7000lb rated car hauler. I have a 16+2. 16 flat with 2’ dovetail. Perfect for me. Mines rated 10,400, but you don’t need that heavy. Still, the length is ideal.

2 Bears

Feb 27, 2018
PA
Ill second the call for not getting a metal deck for the reasons stated as well as its easier to replace deck boards than it is to repair a metal deck.

Sounds like a 10,000 pound equipment trailer is what you want. What is the tow rig?

See i get the benefit of the ability to replace wood on the deck. But i see the disadvantage of wood being replacing wood on the deck, enviability the entire deck will need replaced, how often does this occur? Additionally how do the cross members fair with moisture held by the wood?

I own a welder and repairing steel isn't entirely out of the question.

I have heard that steel is slick and that is a concern.

Tow rig is a 2017 Toyota Tacoma.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Bigger concern may be putting to big of a trailer behind a compact truck that is “supposed” to handle that capacity,which probably getting close to capacity with a trailer and tractor,not trying to start a truck war but being in the truck business customers always try to buy the smallest truck to pull it to the max,then complain when it doesn’t do what they expect from it,btw the dealer I work for has a Toyota dealer to,not brand bashing just speaking from years of experience in the dealership world

Reactions: 1 user

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
See i get the benefit of the ability to replace wood on the deck. But i see the disadvantage of wood being replacing wood on the deck, enviability the entire deck will need replaced, how often does this occur?
I have never had a deck board rot out to the point of needing replacement. So short of damage....

Additionally how do the cross members fair with moisture held by the wood?
Better than a metal welded deck where paint can not get between the cross member and the deck where a weld is.

I own a welder and repairing steel isn't entirely out of the question.
Yes its possible... Its simply far more time consuming. Prep work, the cost of the steel over wood (which isn't getting any cheaper), finish work.

JMO.

I have heard that steel is slick and that is a concern.
I have a 20' load trail equipment trailer. Wife purchased a lifeguard chair at MSU salvage and I was tasked with picking it up. It rained on the way to salvage so the trailer was wet. Walking up the back of the trailer there is a 2" wide metal strip that covers the transition of deck to drop tail... 1 step on that a little off kilter and I ended up on my ass. Ruined my shorts because I caught one of the rods I use to secure the corners of my sides.... and had to sit on a towel on the way home so I didn't ruin the seat from the bleeding.

Painted/ powder coated steel is very slick when wet.

Tow rig is a 2017 Toyota Tacoma.
Then one of your main concerns will be the actual weight of the trailer empty. You don't have a lot of capacity to work with. You want to try to avoid using up any of your 6400 pounds with just the weight of the trailer. But you also want to balance that with getting a cheap trailer. The Sure Trac posted a few posts back looks decent, but check the weight. If the trailer weighs 3000 pounds and is a 7000 pound capacity trailer, that leaves you 3400 pounds capacity on your rig and 4000 pounds capacity on the trailer. So your limiting factor would be your tow capacity. My 20', 14,000 pound Load Trail weighs just shy of 4000 pounds empty.

Another point to keep in mind.... There isnt much weight difference between say a 7000 pound and a 10,000 pound trailer. But you get the benefit of heavier gauge steel and stouter running gear with the higher rated trailer.

Last edited:

2 Bears

Feb 27, 2018
PA
Bigger concern may be putting to big of a trailer behind a compact truck that is “supposed” to handle that capacity,which probably getting close to capacity with a trailer and tractor,not trying to start a truck war but being in the truck business customers always try to buy the smallest truck to pull it to the max,then complain when it doesn’t do what they expect from it,btw the dealer I work for has a Toyota dealer to,not brand bashing just speaking from years of experience in the dealership world

If the trailer ends up behind the truck every day, i will probably be looking for a larger truck but i have towed a few loads pretty close to the max and so far been impressed with how well the truck has done.

2 Bears

Feb 27, 2018
PA
Better than a metal welded deck where paint can not get between the cross member and the deck where a weld is.

Yes its possible... Prep work, the cost of the steel over wood (which isn't getting any cheaper)

Then one of your main concerns will be the actual weight of the trailer empty. You don't have a lot of capacity to work with. You want to try to avoid using up any of your 6400 pounds with just the weight of the trailer.

Another point to keep in mind.... There isnt much weight difference between say a 7000 pound and a 10,000 pound trailer. But you get the benefit of heavier gauge steel and stouter running gear with the higher rated trailer.

Eipo you make some very valid points. You guys may have me talked into a wooden deck.

kris77

Jun 9, 2016
CA
Let me spend some of your money. I have a 2013 Tundra. Towing capacity is 10,500lbs. Trade the Tacoma in on a Tundra, then get whatever trailer you want. lol

In all seriousness, these guys have you covered. No less than 16', brakes, wood. You'll be good. If you do intend to haul it a lot or long distances, you really might want to consider a Tundra.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

Any options?
Towed an older model BX23 for many years. 16" tandem 7K will serve you well. Wood decking for sure. You'll have plenty of room but could run into lenght issue if you wind up with a rotary cutter down the road.

Not sure where you are located in PA but I picked up a nice Holmes trailer from Cotner. Trailer has 2' sides on it which is nice for hauling other stuff as well.

I will caution you on two things though. Think about what kind of tailgate/ramps you want. I have a full mesh gate with built in ramps. I had added 2' to make them longer so loading/unloading with BH on wouldn't be so much of a hassle. However, those mesh gates cause tremendous drag when towing (even an unloaded trailer behind a marginal tow vehicle will be a hassle).

Secondly, consider fabbing up some rear supports (since you weld) to the rear of your trailer to keep the trailer from lifting the rear of your tow vehicle when loading/unloading.

edit: saw post about trailer weight above. Just for reference, my 16 foot holmes landscape trailer (7K) comes in at just around 2K empty. You could always look for an aluminum frame trailer and save approx 1K in weight...but it will certainly cost you some more cash.

Best of luck in your decision.

Last edited:

schamp

Equipment
BX23S
Dec 18, 2020
Caldwell, TX
Howdy! This thread may be a zombie, but I thought I would contribute for people facing the same question.

This is my 3rd Gen Tacoma TRD Off-Road, 18' auto hauler, and BX23S on the day I brought the tractor home from the auction house.

IMG_20200827_114138955_HDR.jpg

I also tow a 3200# car, and have some experience towing just under the Tacoma's rated limits.

Some advice on the trailer:

Length: 16' minimum. 18' recommended. Mine has a 16' deck and 2' dove tail. This gives me some space to work with for getting the balance right, or to carry extra tools and implements. I would love a 20' trailer - but could not find one at the right price and weight.

Deck - No question, get a wood deck. Wood doesn't scratch or dent when you drop an implement on it. Wet wood is as slippery as a dry metal deck. Wood won't give you burns if you place your hand on it in the summer. Wood is also easy to modify (ie adding tie downs) and to replace. The only major downside to wood is that you have to replace it periodically - but this is not usually difficult. Mine just has a few tack welds holding it in. When the time comes, I may replace those with small carriage bolts, get some help from a neighbor, or take it to a shop.

If you can, get pressure treated wood. If it's not an option, then treat it yourself. I cheaped out, got untreated wood, and realized my mistake after six months. I treated my deck with a nice looking deck stain on top and sprayed a green copper based treatment on bottom. It looks nice, but won't last as long as a pressure treated deck.

Ramps - 6' ramps are perfect for the tractor. It gets on and off with no drama. I would not want them to be any shorter, as loading with implements would be difficult. Longer would be fine, but excess length makes loading more error prone.

Tailgate or drop ramps attached to the trailer with a hinge are super convenient loading or unloading a tractor. I would want them for a tractor dedicated trailer that I used frequently... But they reduce versatility and add drag.

Since my trailer is multi-purpose, I have ramps that detach and store under the deck. They are a pain in the back to move around, but I can leave them at home to save weight when they are not needed for a load, and the longer ramps needed for my car use the same hook connection.

Materials - Get an aluminum trailer if you can afford it, angle iron if you can't. Channel iron is stronger but weighs more and isn't really needed on a 7k trailer. For reference, my 18'x82" trailer constructed from 3x5 angle iron, with a spare tire and 6' ramps weighs 2160#. My BX23S with loader, backhoe, and a full tank weighs 2480#. A heavier trailer isn't a deal breaker, but it would limit the ability to carry additional implements, tools, fuel, or other heavy loads.

Brakes - The Tacos brakes need all the help they can get. We have rear drums, the low compression V6 doesn't do much engine braking, and our short wheelbase makes us easy for a trailer to push around. Get brakes on both trailer axles from the factory if you can. You can add a brake to an axle, but it cost me less as a dealer option than it would have to buy the parts myself.

Tie downs - Think about how you are going to tie the tractor (and other loads) down. I got a couple of extra stake pockets from the factory and added 8 recessed swivel D rings to the deck.

Some other advice:

Get a sway control and weight distribution hitch. I love my Blue Ox because I can easily swap bars for different ranges of hitch weight, but there are other good options out there.

Keep in mind that you need to be conscious of limits on:
- Trailer GVW: Trailer + payload
- Trailer hitch weight: portion of the trailer GVW carried by the truck
- Truck GVW: Truck + cargo + passengers + hitch weight
- Truck GCVW: Truck + cargo + passengers + Trailer GVW
- Individual axle weights

With my Double Cab 4x4, I am actually banging on the Truck's GVWR more often than the GCVWR or tow rating. I move weight from the truck to the trailer to make it work. Toolboxes and the spare tire are good candidates. 4x2 and access cabs should have less of an issue.

Don't guess - use scales. Fill up the gas tank, drive onto some CAT scales (there's an app for that), and do three or more weigh ins to figure this out:
1. Truck + cargo + passengers
2. Truck + cargo + passengers + trailer. If needed, shift the load and repeat.
3. Truck + cargo + passengers + trailer w/ weight distribution. Adjust bars and repeat if needed.

The first weigh in gives you the trucks initial GVW: front axle + rear axle.
The second weigh in gives you:
- Truck loaded GVW: Front Axle + Rear Axle
- GCVW: Front axle + rear axle + trailer axles
- Trailer GVW: GCVW minus the initial GVW of the truck.
- Hitch weight: Truck loaded GVW minus initial GVW.

The goal for adjusting after the second weigh in is to get hitch weight to be 10-20% of the total Trailer GVW.

The third weigh in is all about the balance of the truck. Crank the WD hitch bars to get the front axle's weight back to at least the initial value, but less than it's rated limit.

Two other items I have picked up that help:
- Ram style flip up side view towing mirrors. These are annoyingly large day to day, and cost me 0.5 mpg, but are very helpful when you have a load.
- Roadmaster assist springs. These are progressive rate and have several advantages over adding a leaf. I would get bags, but wanted to preserve suspension articulation.

Setup right, the Taco tows very well right up to it's rated limits, and I would not think twice about towing up to an L3301 or LX3310.