Advice on first real tractor for retirement.

mailman

Apr 16, 2024
Connecticut
Welcome aboard and congrats on the retirement! Take plenty of time to decide because it's better to get what you really need (or want) without going through a couple different tractors to get there. A tractor that may feel really big when you first hop on it gets smaller as you gate accustomed to it.

Can't tell from the pics, but some of that ground looks like it could be fairly soft in some seasons. If so, that would be a consideration.
It can be in early spring after snow melt and rain. Then it dries up nice.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
To add to rc51stierhoff’s Excellent Post…. I’d like to say NEVER allow a Rider on a tractor (unless equipped with an OEM dedicated rider/companion seat).

We hosted a large solar-eclipse party and one of my SIL’s used the tractor to gather firewood for the smoker…and his young teen-daughter gleefully ran out while he was starting it and climbed up onto the fender to ride-along. I regret not immediately preventing that…but in front of a large group …as well as in front of his children…which may appear to be critical of him….I was reluctant to say anything at the moment. (I also had thought that as a construction-supervisor he would be knowledgeable of the dangers….)
I later realized he never operated Ag-equipment at his job …(different type of protective devices, work-site-rules, etc)… so I texted him about it later and he’s agreed to never allow that again. 😘

Reactions: 2 users

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Old n Tired,
what is that grapple add on called?
That's impressive. Mind if I ask what attachment you have on bucket?

WR Long bolt on grapple and I also have their bolt on Tooth Bar (nice combination) glad to see they added price to their website.

I do have my grapple mounted a bit higher and more forward (tilted, too)... Thought I had better photo of it but here's a photo of me arranging my implements, nice to be able to pick things up without getting off the tractor...

Best thing, IMO, is still being able to pick up gravel and dirt when I think of it.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
IT HAS NEVER BEEN SAID: I WISH I HAD BOUGHT A SMALLER TRACTOR!
Actually, that's been said a BUNCH! Usually by people who either discover the larger tractor and it's turning radius or width is too much for their intended use, or by people who primarily use a tractor in their yard and find that a heavier tractor is tearing their yard up.

I often feel that larger tractors are overly pushed onto people who don't need them. Everyone always says "buy the next bigger tractor than what you think you need", but I don't agree with that. I think a buyer really needs to evaluate what their needs really are and buy accordingly. This way you are spending $ on something you didn't really need.

You will always find something that your tractor won't do, no matter what size you buy. They all have their limitations so, it really never ends....

• Love

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Congratulations @mailman on the retirement. I am not too far behind you and as was/am in a similar position as you in regard to age/size property/tractor experience.

I am closing in fast on retirement, and just about 2 years ago I decided to get a tractor.

I absolutely have no regrets about buying a L2501 TLB. I have so much fun on it, it's hard to describe.

I like the 2501 because it checks a lot of boxes for me personally. I am biased, but I think that it is "dollar for dollar" the best value going and has no emissions to deal with.

I have no idea how "handy" or "mechanically inclined" you are, but for me the emissions/computer was kind of a big deal. (Especially since all these computer controlled ones will be giant orange paper weights when the EMP hits :whistle: :unsure: ;))

Oh and as always........listen to Clemenza.........

1713283084019.png

It's worth the money!!!!!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Congratulations @mailman on the retirement. I am not too far behind you and as was/am in a similar position as you in regard to age/size property/tractor experience.

I am closing in fast on retirement, and just about 2 years ago I decided to get a tractor.

I absolutely have no regrets about buying a L2501 TLB. I have so much fun on it, it's hard to describe.

I like the 2501 because it checks a lot of boxes for me personally. I am biased, but I think that it is "dollar for dollar" the best value going and has no emissions to deal with.

I have no idea how "handy" or "mechanically inclined" you are, but for me the emissions/computer was kind of a big deal. (Especially since all these computer controlled ones will be giant orange paper weights when the EMP hits :whistle: :unsure: ;))

Oh and as always........listen to Clemenza.........

View attachment 126479

It's worth the money!!!!!
Emissions issues ARE a potential big issue on a new or, nearly new tractor.
It is MHO, that new tractors (of current vintage), will have a major emissions issue for resale in 10 years.
Probably not nearly as bad as 10 year old EVs though.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If you're not mowing, don't want a cab, don't need a PTO, the L2502 is best value for money. LX is a nicer machine, and B2601 is for those who are a bit more financing constrained or have to park in a particular sized spot (like me).

Reactions: 1 user

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Hi everybody!
What a great find this site is! I am looking forward to hours spent here learning from all of you.
I'll get right into it.
As I said in title, first tractor, older man. 62. I have no experience on them, but want to cautiously learn how. I say cautiously because don't want to injure tractor or ME.
Only own about 3 acres. Mowing is covered by a Wheelhorse tractor I have owned for over 20 years that takes care of minor landscaping chores as well.
The "unmowed" area is wooded with briar patches, ROCKS, saplings and some wet areas. This is what I call my playscape. This is why I want a tractor. I plan on slowly transforming it into a space for my boys to spend time in as well as myself and wife. Boys are still young as well as wife. 10 years old and up.
I am looking at 25 hp tractors. B2601, Lx2610/2620, or l2501/2502. I considered the BX23 for its backhoe , but thought it would be less than useful in ground clearance or power.
What would you suggest for a tractor that would be easiest to learn, maintain and get the most out of? I would love a backhoe, but the cost just kills me.
I will have plenty of time, so speed in working the land is not important to me.
I have considered a loader, of course with a grapple and possibly bush hog.
Many of the rocks out here are heavier than can be worked with tractor. So they will be worked around. I plan on adding a shooting range with backstop of dirt.
I will add some pics of the land as it is right now, if that would help.
I appreciate all the advice you can give a newbie and look forward to being a member here!
Thanks!

Eric View attachment 126455 View attachment 126456 View attachment 126457 View attachment 126458

L2501. HST, easiest to learn, cheap in price. Loader Definitely.. Brush Hog - rotary cutter or a flail mower, box scraper and tools to maintain it... like a good grease gun. Enjoy your retirement. L2501 HST. Period.

If you'll be in deep snow and very cold winters... LX with a Cab. But that will cost a good deal more money. Even an LX2610 Cab. It takes you into MX open-station prices. But at 3 acres, there's no need.

Many say buy the biggest and don't regret it. But there are many M's, MX's and Grand L's repossessed because the buyer 'went big'. And didn't really need it. Finances matter.

Even though I own a LX2610Cab... If I didn't need a cab: The L2501 is Kubota's best offering for smaller acreage, do it all tractor. I'd have a L2501.

I have 43 acres. Negative 15 to 20 degree F temps in the winter. I NEED a cab.

You may not.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'll throw in my $.02.

I had a landscaping business years ago and used a BX23. It handled the types of jobs that I liked to do just fine. That little machine made quite a bit of money for me. I traded that machine 12 years later for a B2650. I wanted the large B (which is now designated as the LX models) over the L because it fit my needs better as a landscaping tractor. I wanted something lighter in weight (I have very wet property). I wanted something comfy that I could add bulk as needed (backhoe adds nearly 1000 lbs to the rear) and still run in high gear (even up hill)...I don't think that the L2501 will do that with a hoe on the back and load in the bucket.

I use the large B on my property but also for my business (landscaping/excavating) and it's been a fantastic machine that punches well above its weight and is an earner for me. They have decent ground clearance for in the woods with plenty of power but light enough to do minimal damage to lawns. Mine has just enough reach to load my dump truck.

Kubota Dump 2.JPG

If you're looking for something in the smaller B and the L series...the LX is the way to go. Check out the SU models with larger tires, and no mid PTO if that's fits your needs. I think it also gives up the cushy seat and tilt wheel.

One additional comment that you should consider... all of these machines shrink when you bring them home.

Best of luck to you in your decision.

Reactions: 4 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'll throw in my $.02.

I had a landscaping business years ago and used a BX23. It handled the types of jobs that I liked to do just fine. That little machine made quite a bit of money for me. I traded that machine 12 years later for a B2650. I wanted the large B (which is now designated as the LX models) over the L because it fit my needs better as a landscaping tractor. I wanted something lighter in weight (I have very wet property). I wanted something comfy that I could add bulk as needed (backhoe adds nearly 1000 lbs to the rear) and still run in high gear (even up hill)...I don't think that the L2501 will do that with a hoe on the back and load in the bucket.

I use the large B on my property but also for my business (landscaping/excavating) and it's been a fantastic machine that punches well above its weight and is an earner for me. They have decent ground clearance for in the woods with plenty of power but light enough to do minimal damage to lawns. Mine has just enough reach to load my dump truck.

View attachment 126507

If you're looking for something in the smaller B and the L series...the LX is the way to go. Check out the SU models with larger tires, and no mid PTO if that's fits your needs. I think it also gives up the cushy seat and tilt wheel.

One additional comment that you should consider... all of these machines shrink when you bring them home.

Best of luck to you in your decision.
Ditto, on "all these machines shrink when you bring them home"!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Believe me, I would love to play with a backhoe!
Go to HomeDepot and rent one for the weekend. That would give you the opportunity to try one out and see if you want to spend the money on one or just give yourself the opportunity to play.

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Backhoes cost a lot because they are awesome. I am not sure it makes much sense financially for me to have one, but when I use mine, it’s like be a kid playing in the sandbox again. Never once have I thought about what it cost while I was using it. I am not sure how to put a price on that.

Happy shopping. ☕
Very well said sir!

When we first got our place (circa 2020 BH......before hoe) I wanted to a gravel area for campfires. Well I wanted a nice thick "pad", something that was about 18 inchs deep. My wife said "lets just dig it". I handed her the shovel and said "you dig the 1st half and I will do the rest" .......6 minutes later she was back saying "OMG that's impossible" LOL

So I checked the weather and there was a low (30%) chance of rain. It was sunny out so I called the rental place and they had a mini ex available. My trailer could not handle it safely, so I had to rent one from them. ~650 dollars later I was on the road.

When I pulled into the driveway the wind started picking up, but that is not unusual due to our close proximity to Lake Huron.

I was having a blast for about 4 hours, when the first drop hit me.

I was about 1/2 way done when it started coming down hard. Since there was no turning back I muscled through it (still having fun though)

Long story short, I made a huge mess of the yard, then the next morning I washed it and returned it.

The problem was while putting it back in the trailer the tracks got jammed up with mud almost instantly and my hose could not reach the machine on the trailer.

I ended up talking the guy out of charging me a cleaning fee, but what a PITA.

From a Financial stand point, I can not defend the $10K they cost.

But from a convenience point, it is totally worth it.

@rc51stierhoff summed up my sentiment on the subject very well.

Now I find a use for it almost weekly

Buy the backhoe, you wont be sorry. (y) ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Very well said sir!

When we first got our place (circa 2020 BH......before hoe) I wanted to a gravel area for campfires. Well I wanted a nice thick "pad", something that was about 18 inchs deep. My wife said "lets just dig it". I handed her the shovel and said "you dig the 1st half and I will do the rest" .......6 minutes later she was back saying "OMG that's impossible" LOL

So I checked the weather and there was a low (30%) chance of rain. It was sunny out so I called the rental place and they had a mini ex available. My trailer could not handle it safely, so I had to rent one from them. ~650 dollars later I was on the road.

When I pulled into the driveway the wind started picking up, but that is not unusual due to our close proximity to Lake Huron.

I was having a blast for about 4 hours, when the first drop hit me.

I was about 1/2 way done when it started coming down hard. Since there was no turning back I muscled through it (still having fun though)

Long story short, I made a huge mess of the yard, then the next morning I washed it and returned it.

The problem was while putting it back in the trailer the tracks got jammed up with mud almost instantly and my hose could not reach the machine on the trailer.

I ended up talking the guy out of charging me a cleaning fee, but what a PITA.

From a Financial stand point, I can not defend the $10K they cost.

@rc51stierhoff summed up my sentiment on the subject very well though.

Now I find a use for it almost weekly

Buy the backhoe, you wont be sorry. (y) ;)
DITTO.......in a BIG way!