Advice on first real tractor for retirement.

mailman

Apr 16, 2024
Connecticut
Hi everybody!
What a great find this site is! I am looking forward to hours spent here learning from all of you.
I'll get right into it.
As I said in title, first tractor, older man. 62. I have no experience on them, but want to cautiously learn how. I say cautiously because don't want to injure tractor or ME.
Only own about 3 acres. Mowing is covered by a Wheelhorse tractor I have owned for over 20 years that takes care of minor landscaping chores as well.
The "unmowed" area is wooded with briar patches, ROCKS, saplings and some wet areas. This is what I call my playscape. This is why I want a tractor. I plan on slowly transforming it into a space for my boys to spend time in as well as myself and wife. Boys are still young as well as wife. 10 years old and up.
I am looking at 25 hp tractors. B2601, Lx2610/2620, or l2501/2502. I considered the BX23 for its backhoe , but thought it would be less than useful in ground clearance or power.
What would you suggest for a tractor that would be easiest to learn, maintain and get the most out of? I would love a backhoe, but the cost just kills me.
I will have plenty of time, so speed in working the land is not important to me.
I have considered a loader, of course with a grapple and possibly bush hog.
Many of the rocks out here are heavier than can be worked with tractor. So they will be worked around. I plan on adding a shooting range with backstop of dirt.
I will add some pics of the land as it is right now, if that would help.
I appreciate all the advice you can give a newbie and look forward to being a member here!
Thanks!

Eric
1000003495.jpg
1000003494.jpg
1000003497.jpg
1000003498.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like your property is just a tad smaller than GP Outdoors. It may be worth taking a few minutes and watching some of his videos and seeing what he has accomplished with his LX and see if that would be what you are wanting to try to accomplish.

I know Outdoors with the Morgan has the larger LX4020 and he seems to accomplish a lot with it. I would take my time and gather as much information as you can knowing that this is going to be a HUGE purchase, but one that you can enjoy for the rest of your life.

Link to GP Outdoors

Link to Outdoors with the Morgans

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Congratulations on your retirement and welcome to the site.

I understand you did not ask this, but since you volunteered being new to tractors, I’d recommend a couple things:

1. Tractor Mike videos (here is a link to some safety ones)

2. If not familiar with center pivot axle, that’s something to look into as well.

3. Messicks has very helpful informational videos to compare machines.

Regarding the machines you are considering, that really comes down to how much capability (weight, lift capability, hp) you want, and that is hard to realize buying the first one.

Personally for the little bit described, I’d go with the one with the widest stance (stability)…that’s just me. I think also need to decide if you want a mid PTO (could be used for a mower or snow blower). If no need the mid PTO, I think the L would be a safe choice.

All three models you described have the capability to do what you described, however they are very different machines…so maybe need to sort that out if you want to just buy once.

I’d also mention think about pallet forks…there very versatile and most use them way more than would have imagined.

Backhoes cost a lot because they are awesome. I am not sure it makes much sense financially for me to have one, but when I use mine, it’s like be a kid playing in the sandbox again. Never once have I thought about what it cost while I was using it. I am not sure how to put a price on that.

Happy shopping. ☕

Reactions: 4 users

mailman

Apr 16, 2024
Connecticut
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like your property is just a tad smaller than GP Outdoors. It may be worth taking a few minutes and watching some of his videos and seeing what he has accomplished with his LX and see if that would be what you are wanting to try to accomplish.

I know Outdoors with the Morgan has the larger LX4020 and he seems to accomplish a lot with it. I would take my time and gather as much information as you can knowing that this is going to be a HUGE purchase, but one that you can enjoy for the rest of your life.

Link to GP Outdoors

Link to Outdoors with the Morgans
Thanks Bmeyers,
I have watched GP Outdoors go from the B2601 to the LX2610. He is very helpful in many ways. Thanks for the links. Outdoors with the Morgans is good also.
Channels like those have helped alot!

Reactions: 1 user

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
You can probably find a nice used B26TLB for less than what the others cost new and is a much stouter machine being Kubota's commercial series. If you insist on a new machine, the 2502 or a used 2501 would make for a good tractor. As said above, the 2501/02 series doesn't have mid pto but for many, that's unneeded.

kcs 61

Equipment
B2650 , BH77,FDR1660, PFL2042,RCR1860,RB1672, RTR1258,BB1260
Apr 8, 2024
Va
I too were new to tractors and still
are. I bought a B2650 ( now the LX 2610 I believe ) about 5 years ago My first tractor. And I’ve learned a lot about them since I’ve had it. Just go slow and you will be fine. I have a backhoe on mine in it’s very nice to have digging stumps out. I also have a grapple which I love. That stays on most of the time. I went with the 0 down 0% interest Amazing tractors and amazing things that they can do. Just be aware once you get one all your friends , neighbors and family will be asking for favors. I retired in August’23. And I too am 62

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks Bmeyers,
I have watched GP Outdoors go from the B2601 to the LX2610. He is very helpful in many ways. Thanks for the links. Outdoors with the Morgans is good also.
Channels like those have helped alot!
I have a few decades of experience in a similar project. I think an L01/L02 HST with loader is probably the better fit. You have your mowing needs covered and what you are looking for is muscle. I did it for years with a B7200DT and when I purchased an L3901 3 years ago I wanted to kick myself for waiting so long. Life got a lot easier.....

Dan

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
congrats mailman.

I'd have to say that the LX (B2650) sized machine makes for an outstanding "landscape" tractor with decent capabilities and ground clearance (that's why I have one). Having said that, don't think for a minute that you can't build your shooting range with a BX...

Best of luck to you.

IMG_0809.JPG

with "helper"

IMG_0811.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
My shooting range was the VERY FIRST project I did when I bought my 2502 in September. I had just purchased my home and 20 acres in August and had to have a place to throw some lead....

Reactions: 2 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Welcome aboard and congrats on the retirement! Take plenty of time to decide because it's better to get what you really need (or want) without going through a couple different tractors to get there. A tractor that may feel really big when you first hop on it gets smaller as you gate accustomed to it.

Can't tell from the pics, but some of that ground looks like it could be fairly soft in some seasons. If so, that would be a consideration.

Reactions: 3 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Welcome @mailman, you sound much like me. I have a bit more land that I maintained with four 520H Wheel Horse tractors, one with cab and snowblower, one with a loader, one with a 60" mower and the last one doing tilling, mowing, grading, snow plowing and various duties.

While it worked rather well I decided to add a B2601 with a backhoe and a 60" zero turn to the fleet. This gives the Wheel Horses a break so they might work for another 30 years. Yes, I don't need all of this equipment but it makes life easier. The backhoe was used to dig out under a building for repairs, sewer repairs, stump removal and just last week it dropped a large leaning tree that was partially uprooted.

I think this was the day that convinced me to get a larger tractor:
IMG_1893.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Welcome - there are lots of good choices and options. After much reading and advice here, I went with L2501 as TLB and grapple. My primary objective was major land reshaping on a ridge with ROCKS and heavy old-growth forest.

BH & grapple were game changers and the 2501 punches "above its weight" and over achieves. Judicious learning curve has allowed me to move very large boulders w/out damage to me or machine (this one has the same H pump as the higher hp L machines and I cautiously upped the pressure).

There are very good choices up or down and it comes down to maneuverability/capability vs. time spent. FWIW I evaluated other lines and landed on K due to their lead in this size range. You have gotten some good links - read, watch, and ask more questions :)

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
You'll be surprised at the size of rocks you can pick up. These are a couple of the smaller rocks I moved. The bigger ones filled the whole bucket.

Any of those tractors you listed would work for you... Only recommendation would be is to get the Hydrostatic drive, HST.

Attachments

mailman

Apr 16, 2024
Connecticut
congrats mailman.

I'd have to say that the LX (B2650) sized machine makes for an outstanding "landscape" tractor with decent capabilities and ground clearance (that's why I have one). Having said that, don't think for a minute that you can't build your shooting range with a BX...

Best of luck to you.

View attachment 126461

with "helper"

View attachment 126462
Nice little helper! ;) very nice backstop!!!

Bpace

Equipment
2021 Kubota L2501
Apr 14, 2024
oTt15426378^
I have an L2501, it is fine for my uses.
But I would like something bigger / heavier for your projects if I could afford it and had room to store it. The 2501 can probably do most of the things you need to do. Are you going with geared or HST?

mailman

Apr 16, 2024
Connecticut
Congratulations on your retirement and welcome to the site.

I understand you did not ask this, but since you volunteered being new to tractors, I’d recommend a couple things:

1. Tractor Mike videos (here is a link to some safety ones)

2. If not familiar with center pivot axle, that’s something to look into as well.

3. Messicks has very helpful informational videos to compare machines.

Regarding the machines you are considering, that really comes down to how much capability (weight, lift capability, hp) you want, and that is hard to realize buying the first one.

Personally for the little bit described, I’d go with the one with the widest stance (stability)…that’s just me. I think also need to decide if you want a mid PTO (could be used for a mower or snow blower). If no need the mid PTO, I think the L would be a safe choice.

All three models you described have the capability to do what you described, however they are very different machines…so maybe need to sort that out if you want to just buy once.

I’d also mention think about pallet forks…there very versatile and most use them way more than would have imagined.

Backhoes cost a lot because they are awesome. I am not sure it makes much sense financially for me to have one, but when I use mine, it’s like be a kid playing in the sandbox again. Never once have I thought about what it cost while I was using it. I am not sure how to put a price on that.

Happy shopping. ☕
Believe me, I would love to play with a backhoe!

Bpace

Equipment
2021 Kubota L2501
Apr 14, 2024
oTt15426378^
You'll be surprised at the size of rocks you can pick up. These are a couple of the smaller rocks I moved. The bigger ones filled the whole bucket.

Any of those tractors you listed would work for you... Only recommendation would be is to get the Hydrostatic drive, HST.
Old n Tired,
what is that grapple add on called?

mailman

Apr 16, 2024
Connecticut

That's impressive. Mind if I ask what attachment you have on bucket?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hi everybody!
What a great find this site is! I am looking forward to hours spent here learning from all of you.
I'll get right into it.
As I said in title, first tractor, older man. 62. I have no experience on them, but want to cautiously learn how. I say cautiously because don't want to injure tractor or ME.
Only own about 3 acres. Mowing is covered by a Wheelhorse tractor I have owned for over 20 years that takes care of minor landscaping chores as well.
The "unmowed" area is wooded with briar patches, ROCKS, saplings and some wet areas. This is what I call my playscape. This is why I want a tractor. I plan on slowly transforming it into a space for my boys to spend time in as well as myself and wife. Boys are still young as well as wife. 10 years old and up.
I am looking at 25 hp tractors. B2601, Lx2610/2620, or l2501/2502. I considered the BX23 for its backhoe , but thought it would be less than useful in ground clearance or power.
What would you suggest for a tractor that would be easiest to learn, maintain and get the most out of? I would love a backhoe, but the cost just kills me.
I will have plenty of time, so speed in working the land is not important to me.
I have considered a loader, of course with a grapple and possibly bush hog.
Many of the rocks out here are heavier than can be worked with tractor. So they will be worked around. I plan on adding a shooting range with backstop of dirt.
I will add some pics of the land as it is right now, if that would help.
I appreciate all the advice you can give a newbie and look forward to being a member here!
Thanks!

Eric View attachment 126455 View attachment 126456 View attachment 126457 View attachment 126458
Unlike others here I cannot make a specific model for your needs.
The real story is: Buy enough tractor!

You have some very typical rocky NE area, with large trees.
No matter what you choose, in the Kubota line, for your area, is likely to be undersized.

That said, if you can afford it, my opinion would be to buy the L47 TLB.
You will never regret buying this 47 HP machine.

Some here will po-po my idea, as being more than you need.
I bought a cream puff 13 year old L48 TLB (model prior to the L47), for my 12 acres, and have never regretted it.

I do have a smaller 32HP Ford, with loader only, but my L48 TLB is the workhorse, when I need it.

My L48 is a pre emissions tractor, and that is a very important issue for me.

To avoid emissions limitations you will be required to stay under 26HP.

Thus: The biggest, beefiest 25 HP TLB that Kubota builds may be the most realistic option for you.

It won't be easy, but you just might be able to find a good low hour lightly used model, that will fit your needs.

Do your homework.....both new and used.

IT HAS NEVER BEEN SAID: I WISH I HAD BOUGHT A SMALLER TRACTOR!

Last edited:

mailman

Apr 16, 2024
Connecticut
I have an L2501, it is fine for my uses.
But I would like something bigger / heavier for your projects if I could afford it and had room to store it. The 2501 can probably do most of the things you need to do. Are you going with geared or HST?
I could do either, but I hear hst is easier.