Advice on buying Kubota to replace old Cub Cadet?

three4rd

Jul 10, 2018
PA
Hi,

Long story that I'll condense as best I can. My tractor, a 129 CC hydro, is a 1972 model, built by IH. Engine is a Kohler K-301. These old engines, from what everyone tells me, were virtually bullet proof. I've used it now for 47 years. Over that time, various things have gone wrong (though relatively minor for the most part), and a bit more major engine work just a few months ago. All was working fine until the other week when a rod broke. I know this cause I pulled the head and noticed the valves are working but not the piston. I am uncertain as to what to do. This has been a highly dependable tractor and so a part of me is inclined to put a rebuilt Kohler 301 engine in it. On the other side of the coin, the entire tractor is the same age as the engine and no knowing how long all the other parts will last.

So, I'm faced with deciding on what I want to replace it with (if that will be the chosen option). Any suggestions? I do not hear good things regarding MTD - at least relative to the new Cubs. And, have talked to many people in the business that suggest fixing up this old Cub is the better way to go. I also hear stories about almost any new tractor as only lasting 3-5 years. A family relative has had a Kubota for over 20 years and has only good things to say about it.

A local Kubota dealer has suggested that the GR2020 would be a good replacement for my Cub. Any thoughts or advice on this?

I need something that has a good amount of weight to it since I also plow large amounts of snow at my property when we get significant storms.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
personally.......I would get a BX,FEL with mmm.....despite the cost.....it will last dozens of years easy and will do more than you can imagine.
Even a used one.....it will run circles around the old mower....if you can wing it financially.;)

three4rd

Jul 10, 2018
PA
personally.......I would get a BX,FEL with mmm.....despite the cost.....it will last dozens of years easy and will do more than you can imagine.
Even a used one.....it will run circles around the old mower....if you can wing it financially.;)
85...interesting that you mention this, being that the Kubota rep I had some correspondence with initially suggested the BX1880V. Just thought that tractor might be a bit of 'overkill' for my purposes. Were I 20-30 years younger and were looking at mowing another 40-50 years - different story. I don't question the quality and longevity of these machines. That's why I'm here to try and get some feedback on them.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
85...interesting that you mention this, being that the Kubota rep I had some correspondence with initially suggested the BX1880V. Just thought that tractor might be a bit of 'overkill' for my purposes. Were I 20-30 years younger and were looking at mowing another 40-50 years - different story. I don't question the quality and longevity of these machines. That's why I'm here to try and get some feedback on them.
For the gas version - the 2020, you are looking at right at 8.4K, for the diesel version, the 2120, you are looking at 9.4K. I would gladly pay the extra grand for the diesel version - IF you decide to go that way.....

If you decide to go the BX way....even for the smallest BX - the 1880 with just the MMM and no FEL - you are looking at 11.7 K. That 2+K jump is what the BX can and will do....even if you do not get the FEL:D

IF all you really want to do and need to do is cut grass - have you considered a zero turn? Or does you lay of land allow that to be a possibility?

All these prices are before any discounts offered by Kubota or the dealers.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
In the mid 70s I bought a new Cub Cadet model 169 it came with a 50" mower deck and I also bought the 44" snow plow and chains for it new. It was basically the big brother to your 129 I used it for years then I moved into a larger property and traded my Cub for a used 4x4 Kubota B7200HSD with a front loader and mid mount mower since then I've bought several other Kubota tractors for my properties and I can tell you this get yourself a nice low hour used Kubota with a mower deck and loader and you'll never look back. For what you will spend for that 2020 riding mower you can get a nice used 4x4 diesel Kubota that will out perform that little mower with one wheel tied behind it's back. :D

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have a 30 yr old Ingersoll that has a snow blower and mower deck (see picture below) and it works ok. But it is not exactly a joy to mow with. No power steering and big turning radius. So I have been looking to replace it since it now kills my arthritic hands to run it. So I've considered some of your choices.

Lugbolt, one of our members has worked on a number of the GR series and has mentioned their spotty repair record so look into that carefully. They have a number of nice features that either you or I would like, but the expensive repairs are not attractive.

I got a B2650 because they come with both a mid pto for mowing or snow blowing AND a factory cab. Sick of being out in the cold with snow blowing in my face.

My thought is get what you can enjoy using and will make life easier, and if you only need it for say 10 years will hold its resale value.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
How much land do you have to take care of? Have you gone to a dealer and sat on the various models to see how comfortable the controls are for you? Depending on your size, some tractors may not fit well for you. Advertise your Cub Cadet for sale, even with a bad engine they are sought after by the Cub Cadet collectors. A couple good websites to advertise it.
http://www.cubcadetcollectors.com/forum/
https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/forum/12-cub-cadets/

As others have pointed out, the BX series tractors are much more useful and can be set up to do more than the GR tractor. Regardless of what you decide on, try it out first to make sure you are comfortable on it. If you do not feel comfortable and confident you will not enjoy using it.

Last edited:

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
BX1880 caught my eye to replace my big box store cub cadet SLT1550

I look at the BX1880 as perfect size my wife disagrees wants me to buy bigger so on the fence yet.

the new big box cub cadets front deck hanger looks cheap to me.

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
BX1880 caught my eye to replace my big box store cub cadet SLT1550

I look at the BX1880 as perfect size my wife disagrees wants me to buy bigger so on the fence yet.

the new big box cub cadets front deck hanger looks cheap to me.

Hey, if the wife is kicking you in the shin to buy a bigger/nicer tractor.....

three4rd

Jul 10, 2018
PA
Tried out the GR2021 (identical to 2020 except that the 21 has the diesel engine). The dealer only had one 2020 but it was still crated.

Rides nice...love the wide rear tires, turning radius, and the deck attachment is somewhat similar to what I'm used to on the Cub. Now...the only thing is the stamped deck (only 1 year warranty !?!?) . I'm sure it'd do the job. The Simplicity I looked at has a fabricated deck that carries a lifetime warranty BUT also weighs like 300 lbs. That deck is built like a tank but looking at it it's just so complicated.

Any thoughts on how these stamped decks hold up? Deck looks fairly easy to remove. He showed me where it has to be detached from the PTO, and yet part of the driveshaft stays attached to the deck - just seemed a bit weird.

Overall, I think I'd feel more comfortable with the Kubota than the Simplicity.

Unfortunately he didn't have a snow plow / attachment to show me but he said that guys who have them report it being easy to attach/detach.

Biggest concern, of course, is the durability for the $9300 price point. The cost is certainly not a deal breaker but I'd hate to pay it and find out that the thing only lasts 3-5 years like I hear many of the big box tractors do. Still considering fixing up the Cub...think it's now between the Cub and the Kubota. I'm sure the BX / sub-compact line would be great, but for my purposes I think a bit of overkill. The 2020 would undoubtedly serve my needs.

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
Tried out the GR2021 (identical to 2020 except that the 21 has the diesel engine). The dealer only had one 2020 but it was still crated.

Rides nice...love the wide rear tires, turning radius, and the deck attachment is somewhat similar to what I'm used to on the Cub. Now...the only thing is the stamped deck (only 1 year warranty !?!?) . I'm sure it'd do the job. The Simplicity I looked at has a fabricated deck that carries a lifetime warranty BUT also weighs like 300 lbs. That deck is built like a tank but looking at it it's just so complicated.

Any thoughts on how these stamped decks hold up? Deck looks fairly easy to remove. He showed me where it has to be detached from the PTO, and yet part of the driveshaft stays attached to the deck - just seemed a bit weird.

Overall, I think I'd feel more comfortable with the Kubota than the Simplicity.

Unfortunately he didn't have a snow plow / attachment to show me but he said that guys who have them report it being easy to attach/detach.

Biggest concern, of course, is the durability for the $9300 price point. The cost is certainly not a deal breaker but I'd hate to pay it and find out that the thing only lasts 3-5 years like I hear many of the big box tractors do. Still considering fixing up the Cub...think it's now between the Cub and the Kubota. I'm sure the BX / sub-compact line would be great, but for my purposes I think a bit of overkill. The 2020 would undoubtedly serve my needs.
I've had Simplicity Legacys for several years and 917 918s before that. They are great mowers even with the stamped deck. I bought a BX2670 last fall, and got spoiled. I did run my legacy for a little bit this year, and have decided to sell it off. I was planning on keeping it for a second machine as I've always had a second machine around, and it does have a power bagger on it for leaf clean up. I'd be looking for a used Kubota may be a year or two old. Go operate a BX series tractor before you buy. The BX will spoil you too.

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
ANY diesel Kubota will be better than ANY big box store machine. I wouldn't ever consider buying a tractor sold at any big box store....lowest cost, lowest quality, zero service.

Pat T

Aug 7, 2017
Albion
Even a stamped deck will last a long time if you clean out the packed grass clippings after each mowing. At the end of the season wire brush deck underside and paint with used motor oil. It'll out last all of us.

Pat

three4rd

Jul 10, 2018
PA
How easy/difficult is it to remove the deck on the 2020? Same question for the subframe assy that is needed to attach a plow? With the Cub, I've always taken the deck off every fall - then remove the blades for sharpening, etc. I usually have just left the deck off during the winter.

three4rd

Jul 10, 2018
PA
I test-drove another tractor today (not Kubota) that has a reverse safety switch - have to press a button in every time the mower is engaged and you want to go in reverse, otherwise the mower disengages. Do the Kubota tractors also have this feature? Quite honestly, seems like a bit of a pain.

• Sad

T0pper3

Equipment
2120 Tractor,54in mower, snow blower.
Aug 30, 2018
Girard,Pa
Three4...I own a new 2120 Kubota and love the tractor. I'm still having mixed feeling on how well my 54inch mower cuts, but will let more time pass to check out other blade options.
As for mowing in reverse there is a dash button you push in once that will flash when engaged. Its a one time push as long as your mowing and not turning off the engine. It sure beats my old JD which every time I wanted to mow backing up I had to pull in a dash know. Good luck!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah I had a yellow tractor, it got to the point I was putting hydro pumps in it just about every spring, you couldnt buy a parts kit! I looked at the orange beast and never looked back,, eazy pezy

HermTDI

Equipment
Kubota GR2120
Jan 13, 2013
Richomnd, Maine us
I test-drove another tractor today (not Kubota) that has a reverse safety switch - have to press a button in every time the mower is engaged and you want to go in reverse, otherwise the mower disengages. Do the Kubota tractors also have this feature? Quite honestly, seems like a bit of a pain.
Yes the Kubota gr2020/21 does have a reverse safety system.
I just press the button when I first engage the mower. I need to frequently use reverse so this prevents me from stalling out when I backup/reverse ( set it & forget it )

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm on the other side . rebuild the Kohler and enjoy getting another 1-2-3 ? decades of service from YOUR fine old 'Classic Cub Cadet' !! It's cut your grass and pushed your snow for almost 5 decades ! Probably not many here can say their Kubotas have done that ?? Why spend north of $10K US$ for a new, untested machine that can have problems ? You might spend $500-$1000 on a rebuilt K-301, and keep 9K in the bank (or under the bed...).
As for MTD quality, the CC version are better than the 'box store' offerings. Thicker decks, Zerks on spindles, cast iron front axle, etc. I use a 25 year old MTD CC, still have the ORIGINAL deck, new spindle bearings. NO rot,cuts great. Upgraded the engine as it was a freebie, PO never checked oil. Put tubes in the tires as well. It's also cut 1/4 acre of 2 foot tall rye for 4 years. May not be pretty, but been reliable ,maybe $300 into it !
ALL 'colours' of tractors have their pros and cons, NONE is truly superior else IT would be the ONLY one people would buy. As for 'new is better'.....hmmm, WHY do guys buy OLD cars and pickups? Why don't they buy brand new ones ??
In the end , it's your decision.