Adventures in Induction.... aka Turbo b7200

Zingab7200

Equipment
B7200 4wd gear. FEL. 4ft tiller
Feb 10, 2016
Batavia. OH
Ive had the turbo bug since I bought my little b7200 about a year ago. I know diesels respond well to turbos.

I have read endlessly on the subject, albeit not finding as much info as I had hoped for. Ive concluded the d950 engine I have can handle the added stress from a turbo.

I have everything planned out and believe it should work great and be a fairly easy build. only concern is that I might have gotten too big of a turbo. ( .48/.49 ) but if I did, that's an easy problem to address and swap a smaller one in.

there are a couple additional things being added to aid in tuning/using the turbo tractor.. pyrometer, boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, water temp gauge.

all parts are ordered, waiting on delivery to tear it down. once I have everything, ill be getting oil lines made locally.

stay posted for updates, pics, and eventually video.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Looking forward to it. Probably not something I'll ever tackle, but I love following builds like this.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm with Lil Foot.....I want to see this machine in action!:)

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
Maybe some before and after video so we can see the power increase? Sounds like a cool project.

Zingab7200

Equipment
Feb 10, 2016
Batavia. OH
ill get a video of it as soon as I can, bush hogged my phone yesterday into a million little pieces. so it wont be for a few days.

I did turn the fuel up some a few days ago, and got a nice tiny bump in power according to my butt dyno. I did it by judging smoke.. when I first throttle up its smokey and then clears out once maintained RPM.. when hogging it only smoked real bad when I hit a deep rut and the blades about stopped spinning. but now doesn't bog down in the taller grass even running less rpm.

Zingab7200

Equipment
Feb 10, 2016
Batavia. OH
As promised. A few pics and vids.

It's my first real big presence on here. So forgive me. I can only figure out how to link one image per post.

On the front of the the injection pump. Is a cap. Pull it off. First time will take some doing. Under there is the fuel adjustment screw. And a lock nut. Loosen the locknut and turn the fuel screw out to your desired level of smokeyness. Just for laughs. I took it all the way out. It still ran fine for the thirty seconds I left it like that.

I'll re adjust and dial in after the turbo and pyro install.

Attachments

Zingab7200

Equipment
Feb 10, 2016
Batavia. OH
Couple videos. Videos were made when tractor was cold after sitting for a day. I was trying to make it as smokey as it could be to show how it looks when first getting on the throttle hard. And how it clears out once maintaining RPM. Or when easing up the throttle.

Cold start up.
https://youtu.be/20bZ4kziQNE

Smoking.
https://youtu.be/0RTRMNHAoAw

Smoking 2
https://youtu.be/H1PR2_-QWho

I got a slight but noticeable increase in power. No clue what that translates to on HP numbers.

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
I'll definitely be looking forward to this even though it has no real, practical purpose. lol. I too cannot leave anything stock for very long. I saw a video a while back on youtube of some guys turboing a Kubota UTV. Could be of some help. Also saw a turbo'd 7100(I think) towing a 75,000lb. forklift. Pretty cool!

Zingab7200

Equipment
Feb 10, 2016
Batavia. OH
ya the b7100 thread and that video sold me on the idea.

even if I get 1-2hp out of it.. it will be really cool, and if done right, should actually help that little diesel 950 live a long happy life. diesels love air, or so im told.

good thing about the system ive designed. is that if it doesn't work up to par, it can all come off except the pyrometer and oil gauge which should get left on imo

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
The only limit to making HP in a diesel is the mechanical strength of the engine which can be loosely translate to life of engine. Otherwise you can keep adding fuel as long as you keep adding air. A 25% increase in HP is conservative and usually would not require major mods to support. That is a general statement and you must work up to that with intake and exhaust temps monitored and smoke kept to a minimum at full power.
Another rule of thumb is 300 HP per liter displacement is about 15 seconds life. Long enough to win a tractor pull, not long enough to plow a field.
Jeff

Zingab7200

Equipment
Feb 10, 2016
Batavia. OH
well, I hope for a 25-50% increase in power with a properly sized.. tiny turbo. 22-25hp would be perfect in this machine.

I think the one I bought is gonna not be able to build sufficient psi at the low rpms the tractor makes. but well see, if it doesn't, I found a super tiny turbo for motorycycles and snowmobiles. etc.. will try that. but if it does build boost, it should be able to move some air!!

id be interested to know the vacuum psi that this engine pulls being NA, as that's the psi I need to overcome w boost.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Diesels don't pull vacuum in the intake because they do not have a throttle plate. A dirty filter might pull a several inches of water. Not measurable with a conventional gauge. Everything goes to boost!

Zingab7200

Equipment
Feb 10, 2016
Batavia. OH
Diesels don't pull vacuum in the intake because they do not have a throttle plate. A dirty filter might pull a several inches of water. Not measurable with a conventional gauge. Everything goes to boost!

I must be confused. I read somewhere something along the lines of .. "With my turbo running 7psi. The tractor takes 5 NA. So I'm only getting 2psi"

Which prompted my thought before.

Yes I'll be making an adapter from the kubota manifold to the turbo. 3/8 flanges. And heavy wall tube.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
"With my turbo running 7psi. The tractor takes 5 NA. So I'm only getting 2psi"
I really can't comment on the statement, I just don't understand what the original writer was trying to convey.