Adjusting side to side movement on 3 point

jrslick

Jan 13, 2013
Clay Center, Kansas
I have a question about taking out the side to side movement in the 3 point on a B7100. I know on my families farm, we can take all movement side to side out of the 3 point. However, I have adjusted the turnbuckles on the 3 point arms, but I still have a few inches of movement side to side. That compounds to a lot of movement on a finish mower or on the blade.

Here are some pictures of how it is set up now. I bought this tractor last month so I am still learning. Is this set up even correct?

Left side:

[/IMG]

Right Side:
[/IMG]

A Clearer picture:

[/IMG]

I have searched around here, but I haven't located any information that I already didn't know.

Thanks,

Jay

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Get in touch with Hodge and have him make you a set of stabilizers for your tractor. What he builds replaces the turnbuckles and is a simple pin lock that holds them in place with ZERO side to side movement.

You can check out his webpage for info on them and ordering.

http://www.stabilworks.com/

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yours look fine. I'm not sure whats up with the way some of the turnbuckles are installed on older B series tractors. The ones on my B6100 are on the inside of the lower lift arm but connect to the tractor on the rod that holds the lift arms together.

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Those are different from what my 7100 was. On mine the turnbuckles were on the inside of the lift arms. I don't remember my lift arms having that much bend in them either but it's been several years since I had mine.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
My lift arms are bone straight on the ends. I kinda like the bent ones that he has. Seems it would make it a little easier hooking to an implement.

Looking at the back of his tractor and the tires I'm thinking he has a grey model B7001

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The lift rods don't look Kubota-typical, and the ears on the lift arms, where the stabilizer mounts, are turned vertical- that is the first time I have seen that on a Kubota. If they have mounting ears (many use an eyebolt), they are usually horizontal/flat. So, my thoughts are that this is an aftermarket set of 3 point hitch hardware.
If the turnbuckles are bottoming out and still have slack, one of two things are happening- the turnbuckle is too long for the tractor, or the implement mount is really wide, too wide for the tractor. Either way, if the turnbuckle won't tighten things down, it isn't right for the tractor. Turnbuckles should be able to make the hitch banjo-tight- too tight (there should be some side to side play- maybe a 1/4 inch or so. On my B7100, if you tightened up the turnbuckles when the implement was on the ground, raising it up would just about bust them- the arc of the lift arms is a little different than the arc of the stabilizers, so things have to have some give).
Whether you use turnbuckles or telescoping stabilizers, you should be able to take out 95%+ of the side-to-side sway. I use a 5' finish mower behind my B7100, and have enough play to protect things, but I can still pinpoint control where I put my mower.
The pictures are great- I am constantly absorbing all of this information for future reference. What model tractor do you have? Do you know the year?

jrslick

Jan 13, 2013
Clay Center, Kansas
Eric and Bulldog, Thanks for you picture. I could disassemble the 3 point and put the turnbuckles on the inside. I know the previous owner had the 3 point all apart and maybe he didn't put it together correctly?

While the previous owner said it wasn't a grey market tractor. I don't know that for a fact. He also said it was a 1970. Well according to everything I found online, B7100 weren't even made in 1970. The first year they were made was 1976. According to the serial number and the tractor data site, it figures out it to be a 1977. Also it has 4 bolt front tires which also moves it more towards the earlier models. The previous owner also put these tires on this tractor (so he said). When he bought it had turf tires on it. Not sure where he got these tires. The fronts are sticker still on them new.

Hodge:
It could be an aftermarket 3 point system. I asked earlier about the creeper gear set up on the transmission. That means this tractor most likely had a trencher attachment on it at one time. If it had a trencher, then there weren't 3 point arms on this tractor. So the aftermarket makes sense. Maybe I should just tear into it and take things apart and see if I can find a better way to tighten it down.

It is a 1977 Kubota B7100.

Thanks!

IDKUBOTA

Equipment
L3800DT/FEL/BH77 and others
Dec 16, 2012
Latah County, ID
Hodge,
In regards to side to side motion, I am using the kubota telescopic stabilizers for a L3800. I seems that I am not able to level the lift arms when on a flat surface and the stabilizers do not line up in the same pin holes. When I first got my troctor, it had the BH77 on it. We took it off and then put the 3 point arms on and the 84" rear blade. Turns out there was too much side to side movement and the lift arm adjuster was rubbing on the rear right subframe mount and started rounding the attachment pin hole outer body. I re-adjusted it tighter, but I still have movement. I looked on Kubota's website and my manual, but there are no pictures that I could find showing the telescopic stabilizer set up. Any advice?
-IDK

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hodge,
In regards to side to side motion, I am using the kubota telescopic stabilizers for a L3800. I seems that I am not able to level the lift arms when on a flat surface and the stabilizers do not line up in the same pin holes. When I first got my troctor, it had the BH77 on it. We took it off and then put the 3 point arms on and the 84" rear blade. Turns out there was too much side to side movement and the lift arm adjuster was rubbing on the rear right subframe mount and started rounding the attachment pin hole outer body. I re-adjusted it tighter, but I still have movement. I looked on Kubota's website and my manual, but there are no pictures that I could find showing the telescopic stabilizer set up. Any advice?
-IDK
If you don't mind, let me chew on it.
was the backhoe mounted on the 3 point, or a subframe?

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Definitely an after market/modified system so the turnbuckles on the outside would be in the correct position for it .
If trencher has been fitted then there may be wear on the bore and pin that the tpl pivots on which would give some slop.
Dave

IDKUBOTA

Equipment
L3800DT/FEL/BH77 and others
Dec 16, 2012
Latah County, ID
Hodge,
The BH77 was subframe mounted. The subframe is still mounted to the frame and I was planning on leaving it that way.

IDK

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
Get some large washers and put them between the lift arm and the lynch pins to take the slack out where the arms go on the equipment. It might be that little bit you need to take the slack out. If there is a TSC nearby they will have the washers. I have one piece of equipment I use the washers on.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
With the rice paddy tires on the rear, the odd ball lift arms on the 3pth and the cute little rear view mirror mounted on the hood it has all the signs of being a grey market tractor. Which isnt a bad thing at all, its just nice to know what you have so you can order the correct parts.

Get the serial number and contact Service Dept Vic he could tell you what you have for sure.

jrslick

Jan 13, 2013
Clay Center, Kansas
Eric:
That is kind of a blow to me. I thought I had avoided the whole Grey Market Tractor Issues, but I guess I was wrong.

RDR: The equipment moving isn't the problem, the 3 point arms moving is the problem. I have washers on other equipment, so I will check and see if it helps.

The reason I need to take the play out of the 3 point arms is I am going to use this to build rows for our market garden and put down plastic mulch with a mulch layer that I am working on building. I need the 3 point not to move much side to side. Also, I am wanting to use this to cultivate rows and hill potatoes. If it moves too much, I will be killing plants and profit.

Jay

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hodge,
-IDK
IDKUBOTA, the L3800 came stock with turnbuckles; if you now have telescoping stabilizers, they are either off of another Kubota model, aftermarket, or homemade.
The stabilizer shouldn't have any effect on the leveling of the lift arms- that action being performed by the adjustable lift rod would indicate a problem with the lift rod, if I am understanding correctly. I have seen where a 3 point wouldn't go all the way down, because a bind in the stabilizers created the issue, but that wouldn't directly effect leveling.
As far as the stabilizers adjusting with the pins in the same holes, I assume you mean the corresponding holes. The way telescoping stabilizers work is a mathematical equation- the holes in the inside rod or tube are drilled on a different spacing than the holes on the outside tube- because of the difference in spacing, and the number of holes in the components, at any given point, one of the holes in the outer tube will line up with one of the holes in the rod. Which hole lines up with which is based on the position of the rod in the tube. It isn't necessary for the holes in the left and right stabilizer to correspond, unless you are Monk (I don't write that disrespectfully- my daughter loves Monk, and I can relate to his OCD). Technically, if the implement is perfectly centered, the holes that line up will be symmetrical. But, it isn't necessary- you shift the implement left and/or right to get a set of holes in each stabilizer to line up, then drop the pin in each.
So, it is likely that you have stabilizers that didn't come on the tractor originally, and you may have stabilizers that don't fit well, as far as the size/length. Can you post a photo or two of your 3 point setup?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Eric:
That is kind of a blow to me. I thought I had avoided the whole Grey Market Tractor Issues, but I guess I was wrong.
Jay

I may be mistaken myself. I was looking over your pictures and going over previous info I remember reading on here about signs to look for if you have a Grey Market. Some people would get sneaky and put the North American hood emblems on. And you mentioned something about gear reduction on the transmission. That is another grey market sign. Are there any labels or decals on your tractor written in Japanese?

Like I mentioned before jot down the serial number and give Service Dept Vic a message and have him confirm weather its grey or North American.

jrslick

Jan 13, 2013
Clay Center, Kansas
I will have to get the serial number again and send it to him. There are no japanese writings on this tractor at all. If it is grey market, it came from another country. Everything is in English.

The gear reduction was a factory installed option for tractors with a trencher. Still love the little tractor and I can't wait to put it to more work this spring. My back is already saying thank you!

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I am sitting here with 2 Kubota operators manuals. One shows the curved 3 point arms with the check chains on the outside. The other shows the straight 3 point arms with the check chains on the inside. So I guess both styles were made and sold by Kubota. I now have 3 B7100 tractors My first a 1977 has the curved links with the check chains on the outside my second, a 1978 has the straight arms with the check chains on the inside. My newest a b7100 hst has straight arms and the check chains on the inside. This one also has the attaching point where the check chains connect to the tractor almost in the center just above the draw bar. This greatly increases the angle between the check chain and the 3 point arm. Which I would think would make it much stronger and keep the arms from moving.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I am sitting here with 2 Kubota operators manuals. One shows the curved 3 point arms with the check chains on the outside. The other shows the straight 3 point arms with the check chains on the inside. So I guess both styles were made and sold by Kubota. I now have 3 B7100 tractors My first a 1977 has the curved links with the check chains on the outside my second, a 1978 has the straight arms with the check chains on the inside. My newest a b7100 hst has straight arms and the check chains on the inside. This one also has the attaching point where the check chains connect to the tractor almost in the center just above the draw bar. This greatly increases the angle between the check chain and the 3 point arm. Which I would think would make it much stronger and keep the arms from moving.
Do you mean turnbuckles, or do you actually have chains?