adendum to bx2200 died

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
I posted this a couple of days ago, but since it's an old thread, I've convinced myself no one saw it.

ok, so here's an update... I wanted to plow the garden last fall, but couldn't find a 1 bottom anywhere. This spring, a great neighbor said I could borrow his middle buster. Not a 1 bottom, but worked well when went one direction, then back over the other direction on sod, and 1 direction only on previously tilled soil. Turf tires aren't the best for this... anyway, I'd be going along and the bx would pull down like it had a really heavy load from time to time. A couple of times, it shuddered and shook (redundant, I know), but didn't die. I'd stop and wait for what seemed forever (10 seconds tops), and it would clear up and purr. It didn't do it later, when we were just putzing around the wood yard, etc, dragging some logs and moving a little dirt. I wondered if residual water somewhere, but I'm guessing that's a stretch. It didn't smoke at all when it acted up. About all I can think of now is MAYBE the fuel pump, or the injectors? All experts and pseudo-experts, please opine.

This seems to happen when it's warmed up and been working awhile. I was moving some "dirt" (a junk pile that's mostly dirt, but Lord knows what else) with the FEL. After the 5th load, it did it again.

thanks
David

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The BX models are known for having fuel filter issues. Those little inline filters don't take much for them to clog. You may just have a simple issue of restricted fuel flow. Runs fine until it needs more fuel while under a load, then causes it to bog. So my suggestion would be to try new fuel filters first and see if the issue clears up.

jetattblue

Equipment
BX1800; L2550
Mar 14, 2018
Arlington, TX
Here is my pseudo expert thoughts. How is the engine temp? My radiator screen recently became clogged as I mowed some dry grass and, as the temp increased, the tractor would really bog down under load. After a few minutes of this and before the temp climbed too high, I noticed the screen was full of dry grass. Once I emptied it, the tractor worked just like normal.

Anyway, this is just a thought based on recent experience.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you have junk, debris, or algae in the tank or filters that is causing a restriction.

Look at the filters for any black / dark material in them.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Simple but I have to ask....were you in low gear?

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
engine temp was fine. I'm going with bad fuel for now- going to replace filters and put in some biocide. The water episode was only 3-4 weeks ago, so doubt algae big deal yet.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
and yes, I was in low. If I were in "Rabbit" ( don't you love int'l symbols?), it wouldn't pull down like that (yeah- I've done that!)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
engine temp was fine. I'm going with bad fuel for now- going to replace filters and put in some biocide. The water episode was only 3-4 weeks ago, so doubt algae big deal yet.
Oh if it had water in that fuel at any point, you have algae growth! ;)