Adding a 12 Volt Cigarette Lighter

garyiden

Equipment
Kubota B3000
Jun 7, 2013
Bentonville
I'd appreciate any help at all. I've searched thru hundreds of forums, and while I see lots of pictures of the finished product, I'm not finding any "tutorial" on how to do it.

I have a B3000 and would like to add a cigarette lighter somewhere inside the cab so I can power a mp3 player or cell phone. The owner's manual is of little help. Right there on page 53 is a diagram of an Electrical Outlet. Problem is, it's impossible (for me anyway) to determine where on the freakin tractor this thing is located. If I could find THAT, I may be able to figure out how to add said cigarette lighter. Anyway, if ANYONE can help a brother out, I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks in advance. Oh, the B3000 only has 10 hrs on it, and I can't wait to make some mods :)

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
If you can find your fuse box you can easily tap into a power source. The auto stores even sell little clips you slip under a fuse so no wire cutting is needed. A 12 volt outlet can be flush mounted in a panel or they also come with a bracket, a cigarette lighter is a lot beefier(20 amps or more) than you need for charging cell phones and such (maybe 5 amps).

garyiden

Equipment
Kubota B3000
Jun 7, 2013
Bentonville
If you can find your fuse box you can easily tap into a power source. The auto stores even sell little clips you slip under a fuse so no wire cutting is needed. A 12 volt outlet can be flush mounted in a panel or they also come with a bracket, a cigarette lighter is a lot beefier(20 amps or more) than you need for charging cell phones and such (maybe 5 amps).

bandaidmd, thanks so much. I'll give that a try. Question: are suggesting tapping into a 5amp fuse in the fuse box?

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
bandaidmd, thanks so much. I'll give that a try. Question: are suggesting tapping into a 5amp fuse in the fuse box?
I would tap hot side at the fuse and have a in line fuse . That way your not loading the fuse that already has something it's protecting .

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

garyiden

Equipment
Kubota B3000
Jun 7, 2013
Bentonville
I would tap hot side at the fuse and have a in line fuse . That way your not loading the fuse that already has something it's protecting .

Hot side ? Sorry for so many questions, I've never done this and want to make sure I don't screw anything up right away.

bandaidmd

Equipment
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
you will have to have a tester of some sort . First decide if you want a always on or a switched outlet. IF always on find a fuse that has power with the key off then take out the fuse. the clip that still has power is the supplie the other clip goes to the load. If use a seperate in line fuse you would use the supply side if you were going to let the existing fuse protect your new curcuit tap into the load side. really with the minimal load your going to use the existing fuse would prob be ok but if you ever pluged in a spoplight or something similar it would blow the fuse. Hope this helps

do you have the glass tube style of fuse or the colored plastic type?

Last edited:

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
Do it they way I said on the hot side with inline fuse . Not my first rodeo .

bandaidmd

Equipment
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
"I would tap hot side at the fuse and have a in line fuse . That way your not loading the fuse that already has something it's protecting ."

Just for the sake of discussion if someone who is a admitted newbie at wireing were to tap into a curcuit that was designed for a 5 amp draw and used the hot side of the fuse as a tap and then not knowing any better was provided a device with a 30 amp fuse which is going to happen first ,the 30 amp fuse blowing or that 22 ga. factory wire on that 5 amp curcuit melting? Sometimes using the load side of a fuse would be the safest route because enen in a worst case scenario you blow the 5 amp fuse.
Is this the best way for wireing ,far from it but his original intent was to power a device that draws less than 2 amps.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
There is a large battery wire connection on the starter. From there that wire goes straight to the battery. When I wired up an electric outlet I went from the starter wire connection to an automotive inline fuse, to the outlet. The 2nd wire of the outlet needs to go to the chassis or frame.
I used a 15 amp fuse, as the outlet can become the most easily accessable place to hook up a battery charger. On the other hand, if you walk away from the tractor and leave something like a light or electric seat cover plugged in, it will draw down the battery.
On my L3200 there is a fused outlet and wiring for an AUX circuit. The wires end up in the left rear fender by the rear running lights. I think they were brown and yellow... This has the advantage of being switched by the tractor key switch. I used those wires for work lights.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just for the sake of discussion if someone who is a admitted newbie at wireing were to tap into a curcuit that was designed for a 5 amp draw and used the hot side of the fuse as a tap and then not knowing any better was provided a device with a 30 amp fuse which is going to happen first ,the 30 amp fuse blowing or that 22 ga. factory wire on that 5 amp curcuit melting? Sometimes using the load side of a fuse would be the safest route because enen in a worst case scenario you blow the 5 amp fuse.
Is this the best way for wireing ,far from it but his original intent was to power a device that draws less than 2 amps.
Yep you nailed it!;)

Best bet for a cigarette lighter port is a direct Via a fuse to the + side of the battery.
While you want to charge a phone or run a MP3 player it is better to match the outlet potential amperage than match the device's amperage potential using it.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Yep you nailed it!;)

Best bet for a cigarette lighter port is a direct Via a fuse to the + side of the battery.
While you want to charge a phone or run a MP3 player it is better to match the outlet potential amperage than match the device's amperage potential using it.
I agree. 20+ years as a master installer upfitting emergency vehicles (thousands) should speak volumes. Whenever the current moves along a smaller path, a fuse/circuit breaker/fusable link should be used there. The only thing that doesn't use any is the starter.

As for this cigarette lighter port, go with 15a (16g or larger) which is the norm. Charging devices are usually equipped with their own internal fuses.

Garandman

Equipment
L3200, SSQA bucket, pallet forks, Ratchet Rake, Wallenstein BX42s chipper
Sep 1, 2014
Boston / Sullivan County NH
So the best way to find the hot side is to remove the fuse, then check?

I want a plug so I can use my heated jacket. Already using the tap in the left rear fender for an LED light, but when I wired it in left a second set of wires.

Prefer to put a plug on the dash.