Adding 2 cycle engine oil to diesel

jem041279

Equipment
2011 L 3940 w/ FEL, 6ft shredder
Apr 20, 2011
abbeville, louisiana
After altering my boat I now have about a gallon or so of 2 cycle oil left over that I don'T plan on using. I have 300 gallons of bulk no 2 diesel and was wondering if it was a good idea to add the oil to the tank and if so how much? I do have some additive in the tank already, so just curious if it is possible to have to much extra's in diesel.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Most of the guy's here will say don't do it. I say it is a mixture of 1:300. And regarding that diesel-engines can use a lot of different kind of oils it will not be big difference with 1:300.
But why do you want to burn the 2cycle-oil? Is there no chainsaw or other 2stroke-engine? Maybe it's a good chance to make a friend/neighbour happy...

carl

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I have heard, and actually have done, the trick with adding 2 oz. of two-cycle marine oil per gallon of regular gas as a top cylinder lubricant in gasoline engines. It is "supposed to" make them last longer. Google it for more information.

Since tractor engines will run on fuel diluted by hydraulic oil it would seem safe to use oil designed for internal combustion. No need to make a habit out of it.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
After altering my boat I now have about a gallon or so of 2 cycle oil left over that I don'T plan on using. I have 300 gallons of bulk no 2 diesel and was wondering if it was a good idea to add the oil to the tank and if so how much? I do have some additive in the tank already, so just curious if it is possible to have to much extra's in diesel.
It will give you carbon build up on your injectors and pistons. Not recommended for a diesel.:eek:

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I'd say if it's clean oil, then absolutely go ahead and use it. If you do some reading on any of the diesel performance pickup sites you'll find many recommend using ~1oz/gallon 2 stroke oil to improve lubricity of ULSD fuel. 2 stroke oil is designed to lubricate and to burn, so no worries. I run Walmart 2 stroke oil in my Powerstroke diesel. My Kubota gets it too. Most diesels will run just about any oil that's clean and thin enough to pump.

mikesl3940

Equipment
L3940, SkidSteer, Third Function, Grapple Bucket, Loader, Boxblade, Shreader
Jul 15, 2011
Austin, TX
Guys, there was a fantastic test run on this specific issues of ULSD.

Here is a link to the article, there will be a link to the test and the results. It is surprising but 2 stroke oil rates pretty low on the results list for diesels engines.

There is a PDF file with complete test info and results.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178848

FYI, I have been running a product called Optilube in my Duramax and Kubota for several years, I couldn’t be happier with the product in both applications.