Add a quite muffler / exhaust? BX1860

Fredmeyer

Equipment
Kubota BX
Oct 9, 2015
New England
Hi,

Has anyone ever added an secondary muffler setup to their bx (mine is a 1860) to make it quieter? Even with ear protection, at WOT the thing is loud. I also sometimes use it to power a PTO generator and would like it to be as quite as possible. I have been thinking about using a $30 walker quite flow exhaust and a piece of flex pipe - at least for the PTO generator use.

Other ideas? I would love something that could be used while the tractor is moving (not just for the PTO genny).

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I suggest posting that question on some automotive or engine site because the extra restrictions may cause problems that are unexpected, such as burned valves. In addition to exhaust noise, there seems to be a lot of other noises with that PTO generator situation, as I recall with mine.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The intake is a lot louder than the exhaust on those tractors. The muffler is actually pretty quiet. Once you get rid of the intake noise, that is. But as said, be careful with the mods because they can (and sometimes will) mess with the engine causing high EGT's for instance-which is bad.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Many automotive applications have a baffle of sorts in the air intake,between filter and engine. theres a box T'd into intake pipe. The tuner guys pull them out as they want the noise. Go figure.

A second air cleaner may help with some noise,but im sure there is little room to add one.

Walker quiet flow may work on a car, but a resonator might be a better bet.
Trying to deal with something that has a high compression ratio,modifications may result in negative effects.

As far as pto gennie setup, bury a drum in the ground and run in and out pipes making outlet 6' or so high with a rain cap or turndown.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Frank. I never thought of a drum in the ground , that would attenuate a lot of noise

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Frank. I never thought of a drum in the ground , that would attenuate a lot of noise
I did a lot of research for a genset in a campground, it was for staff quarters. It was quite noisy and there were complaints and one camper went as far as cutting fuel supply line. Caused a weekend callout for me.
I ducted the engine fan away from camp area towards rear of building and reduced noise by 50%. Exhaust wasnt nearly as bad as fan noise. Next loudest was the building resonating from vibration. It was sitting on concrete.