Ad woes?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I like cows and all, but there is a box with a picture of them eating hay that keeps popping up over the text. Occasionally it changes to a picture of a girl looking scenic. I swear I haven't touched any of the ads when scrolling with my tablet. Don't anyone remind me about Adblocker, that only works for a while and then I can't access OTT due to Error 408 and I have to shut it off. It may be time for a new tablet with a more up to date browser, but it largely works.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I like cows and all, but there is a box with a picture of them eating hay that keeps popping up over the text. Occasionally it changes to a picture of a girl looking scenic. I swear I haven't touched any of the ads when scrolling with my tablet. Don't anyone remind me about Adblocker, that only works for a while and then I can't access OTT due to Error 408 and I have to shut it off. It may be time for a new tablet with a more up to date browser, but it largely works.
Interesting. I saw that very advertisement you are complaining about in the post below yours. (posted by OTT.com)

On my laptop with FireFox browser, the ad does not cover any OTT text.... but it does self-scroll as I scroll down the webpage.

I only started to see these self-scrolling ads recently here on OTT.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hi Mr. K, I don't see it now that I am on my "real computer" ancient Dell Latitude, and I don't think my tablet has the capability of gathering screen shots. It just started today. Later I saw the box with the Kubota ad too, so it is whatever is in the middle ad box location that says OTT.com on it. So I don't see it when the Kubota talk is listing forums or after a New Posts search, but it appears when I am trying to read posts. Now it is a guy in a Tshirt and if you scroll part of a tractor. I'll try to take a picture with my phone.

BTW has the search protocol for New Posts changed recently?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
When things start misbehaving as you describe, i clear my browser history and it usually clears up.

Its awesome how MGMT sees this as an issue and sets forth to solve it.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
My tablet is a Motorola Xoom, Android, with its built in "Browser" accessed through Google.
Interestingly the OTT.com box is empty on the Lattitude, and when I accessed the forum using the tablet but with Firefox the box says "undefined".

DocHolladay

Equipment
MX5200, FEL
Oct 19, 2015
Murfreesboro, TN
Ads are usually based on what you search for most while surfing. I get a lot of gun and fishing ads.I also get a few about tractors if I have been searching for info on products for mine.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yes, oddly enough if I do touch this ad, I am taken to the Kubota main website :D

Would be hard to justify getting rid of that one!

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
My tablet is a Motorola Xoom, Android, with its built in "Browser" accessed through Google.
Anyone else have a tablet to confirm this same behavior? iPad or Amazon Fire tablet maybe? Anyone seeing this overlapping behavior using a desktop PC with a browser, if so, post your browser here. That will help us debug this a bit.

Sorry folks, hang in there. Appreciate the heads up on issues like this.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I tried another tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab, and my phone, Razr Maxx, and the ad misbehaves on the Galaxy and the phone in different ways. It has something to do with orientation of the screen. If the tablets are long dimension horizontal, the ad overlaps the text. If you rotate it 90o the ad may go back in the box or disappear entirely.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
It lloks like a panel that is behind the page.
As I scroll down it flows up.
It may be read differently and put in fromt on some devices.
So far the iPad is working.

Ray

Attachments

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
TJ I tried deleting browser history and cookies, and only succeeded in losing my passwords :( no help with box. So unless it has something to do with my cable company and wifi, it is a problem with 3 different Android devices. The size of tne image relative to the box is different in the 3 different gadgets, so screen orientation and screen resolution affect it.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Anyone else viewing with a mobile device? Either with or without this problem? It is driving me nuts on all of my android mobile stuff. On my computer the ad is simply not visible at all, not what the ad payers want. Adblock on my tablet doesn't touch it, but also isn't getting rid of the others either. Or at least sometimes the rest are gone and sometimes not?

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Stopped by the Verizon store and logged in to OTT on several devices. New Androids have the ad scrolling behind the text correctly! And no surprise they declared none of the 3 old devices that I have could be made to work properly by upgrading the software (or they didn't know how). Since the battery on my old tablet is iffy I sprang for a new tablet. All so I could browse OTT without that darned ad box! :D

But it would be nice if ad writers could stick to backward compatible stuff :D

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
I see the ad on my iphone6 but it stays behind the text as I scroll down and doesn't block any of the text. I mostly use the Tapatalk app to view and post on forums from all mobile devices if they are on Tapatalk. For the most part it's a lot quicker with few headaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: