About to order a BX 2350

Cheib

Apr 12, 2015
UK
I've been doing a lot of reading on here and having originally thought I'd be going for something like a GR2120 I am now (I hope) about to order a BX 2350. This has come about as having moved out of a city (London in my case) we now have a home with 2 1/2 acres of grounds/gardens which have been neglected and need a lot of work.

I've been to my local dealer who I have to say has been excellent, spent an hour initially talking options through and then he came to look at the property to make sure I was getting the right thing and discuss mower options. Definitely getting a FEL and probably a decent sized trailer too.

His main concern is that is I go for a FEL And MMM that I should not be doing any kind of landscaping work with the FEL with the MMM attached as the banging around etc doesn't do it any good.

Is he right and realistically how easy is it to remove and mount the MMM. Also what about removing and mounting the FEL....easy to do ?

Thanks!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well you might get some bounce on the MMM while using the FEL, but to be honest, I don't think I have ever seen anybody that has both on the machine, ever take the MMM off when using the FEL. Use your head think the job through and you will be good to go, Just remember what you have is a small tractor its not an earth mover so don't expect it to work like that, But trust me she will work and work hard, of that there is no doubt. Just take your time and do it, and if it bothers you, then take the MMM off it, only takes a couple of minuets. And congrads on your new toy,, err tool I meant tool and don't for get we like pictures too :D

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
You can leave the deck on to do easy things with the loader attached . But beware of banging it up like your dealer said . You can bend linkages , knock things out of adjustment or bend the deck itself . I myself take my loader and backhoe off to mow . It takes me ten , maybe fifteen minutes , to change over .
Now a friend of mine has the same machine as I do, (2008) ,and only has taken his deck off in the winter to plow and has over 500 hours on it and has had no problems .
So your choice . Myself ,,, I remove it . Worked too hard for that money I spent on my machine .
To take the loader off , and put the mower deck on will only take you about five minutes after you get the hang of it . Same amount of time switching back .

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I've been doing a lot of reading on here and having originally thought I'd be going for something like a GR2120 I am now (I hope) about to order a BX 2350. This has come about as having moved out of a city (London in my case) we now have a home with 2 1/2 acres of grounds/gardens which have been neglected and need a lot of work.

I've been to my local dealer who I have to say has been excellent, spent an hour initially talking options through and then he came to look at the property to make sure I was getting the right thing and discuss mower options. Definitely getting a FEL and probably a decent sized trailer too.

His main concern is that is I go for a FEL And MMM that I should not be doing any kind of landscaping work with the FEL with the MMM attached as the banging around etc doesn't do it any good.

Is he right and realistically how easy is it to remove and mount the MMM. Also what about removing and mounting the FEL....easy to do ?

Thanks!

I used my loader for over 100 hours with the MMM on it ....in sticks, brush and logs, yes I was careful what I was doing and looked before I leaped! But my thought was two fold - one - the MMM covers the bottom of my tractor and is very nice to protect the under belly!:) Second - I had no place to take the MMM off and leave it! soooooo.... I built a nice shed and the MMM is hanging on the wall and the under armor is doing it's job now!!!!

But I will agree - there are things that you tires can hit that I would not want my MMM to hit !!! Like the others said - take it off for heavier work, and be careful when you use it when on!:)

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
Congratulations! You are about to have some good times with your new tool/toy. Taking off the mower is really easy once you do it a few times and there are some excellent videos online as well as detailed discussion. Putting the MMM back on requires some finesse but once you've done it a few times, it's not so bad. I just sold my BX2360 which is basically the same as yours and I have to say, I really loved it. Good luck with her.

p.s. My son is about to move to London for a year at UCL, masters program.

car compulsive

Jun 25, 2015
MI
I just took delivery of my BX1870 instead of a GR2120 and have no regrets - aside from having to work around low hanging trees with the ROPS. I need to figure out how to fold that thing down.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I just took delivery of my BX1870 instead of a GR2120 and have no regrets - aside from having to work around low hanging trees with the ROPS. I need to figure out how to fold that thing down.
Pull the two pins?:) yours should fold easily .....you may have "loosen" the two bolts/nuts a bit - they are on very tight, about a 1/4 turn and the ROPS should fold. I have mine set so that I have to give a little pull to make it move, but it does not take much once it starts.

car compulsive

Jun 25, 2015
MI
Pull the two pins?:) yours should fold easily .....you may have "loosen" the two bolts/nuts a bit - they are on very tight, about a 1/4 turn and the ROPS should fold. I have mine set so that I have to give a little pull to make it move, but it does not take much once it starts.
Yep, once I finished mowing, I read the fine manual.

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
I leave my MMM on all the time. I've only removed it once while using the FEL. I needed a little extra clearance while strattling concrete steps. The rest of the time... the extra weight down low actualy helps when you have a heavy bucket.

Once you take the FEL off a couple times... it's no big deal. Just make sure you bleed off the pressure before you disconnect. It's not the end of the world if you don't. Just grab a wrench and crack a fitting at a ram... and the pressure will be gone.

I know some guys will just pop the hoses... but I try to stay neat. I grab a rag, and sop up the small amount of residual oil, before putting the caps on the hoses.

The MMM isn't hard... but it is kind of a pain. BUT... without a doubt... I wouldn't try it on grass, or gravel. Do it on a hard surface, and it's not a big deal. Here again... the first time putting it back on will be a pain, but you will figure it out, and then it's not a big deal.

businessman

Equipment
B3200, JD955, Ingersoll7020
Jul 1, 2015
East coast
Not addressed by others in their responses to you is - cleaning the underside of that MMM. A real chore. Some do it annually, some do it weekly. I clean mine every other mow. But mine is a 3 pt mower, which seems to be easier to deal with (according to some others).
Because the MMM is brand specific, it is an expensive implement. I suggest you look at a residential grade zero turn mower. Compared to the MMM, it'll reduce your mowing time by half, and reduce your string trimming labors.
A 3pt mower will cost less than a MMM, but for 2-1/2 acres, you will find the 3pt a bit unwieldy. I mow 6 acres, with long runs with no trees or other obstructions.
In any case, consider limiting the width to 5', as wider introduces scalping considerations.

dmbe

Jan 29, 2015
Altoona, pa
I made this a few years ago and it works well. After mowing, I attach hose to it and put under deck. It shoot water up under the deck. I start the tractor and engage blades. Cleans most of the grass from the deck. Make sure the length is longer than your mower deck so it doesn't get sucked up into the blades.

Attachments

businessman

Equipment
B3200, JD955, Ingersoll7020
Jul 1, 2015
East coast
dmbe, I picked up my pipe and fittings, and was going to write to ask what diameter and spacing of holes. You beat me to it.
I'm a little surprised at the 1/8". I was going to drill 1/16". And may still to that, and make 10 per side, drilling some of the holes at a bit of an angle from top dead center.
Incidentally, I've read elsewhere that after washing off a deck, allow blades to spin long enough for spindles to dry out. Then leave in sun to bake off the water residue. Others speak of importance of greasing spindles, to force the water out from therein.
I'll post later how this works out, with full credit to the originator,

Cheib

Apr 12, 2015
UK
Congratulations! You are about to have some good times with your new tool/toy. Taking off the mower is really easy once you do it a few times and there are some excellent videos online as well as detailed discussion. Putting the MMM back on requires some finesse but once you've done it a few times, it's not so bad. I just sold my BX2360 which is basically the same as yours and I have to say, I really loved it. Good luck with her.

p.s. My son is about to move to London for a year at UCL, masters program.
Thanks for tall the helpful replies Gents....and MXBX I hope your son enjoys his year at UCL, it's a fantastic university. There's a hospital attached to it (UCLH) which is where my two kids were born.

So I have ordered my BX, together with a FEL, Kubota trailer and a BLEC Box Scraper with hydraulic top link (British make).

Still haven't decided what to do about the mower. We inherited with the house a small ride on mower which my dealer thinks he can get working a lot better than it currently is. He is going to come and pick it up and service it for free. He really thinks I should go for a Rear Finishing Mower as it will be better for the paddock we have which is probably 60% of what needs mowing. The rest if more fiddly and nearer the house so he thinks the ride on with the ability to collect cuttings will be better. I am not sure about the Rear Mower, takes up a lot more space (storage when not in use) and I think having read what people on here have said and looked at You Tube I can deal with the MMM removal.

I wanted to get the BX ordered so have a chance to "sleep" on the mower decision once the existing one is back.