A Little Hydraulic Help Please

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
I have had my backhoe on and off many times but this time getting the hoses to connect to load it up is proving a major pia. Backhoe has been off since last fall and sitting in a closed carport. Thinking somehow the pressure has built up in the hoe I toggled every control on it (for some reason the stabalizers control did not want to move very easily). Did the same on the tractor (loader and 3 pt).

I know I am showing my age but be damned if I can get the hoses to connect properly. I was ready to start undoing fitting but I thought maybe a brighter idea is out there.

Cheers
Andy

Dawilliams

Equipment
MX4800, FEL, BH, Tiller, Brush Hog, Finish Mower; IH 444
Nov 5, 2018
Athens, OH
I had the same problem. Ended up i needed to relieve pressure in the line. I placed a cloth over the connection and tapped the End with a wooden mallet. The cloth kept the fluid from spraying me. The connection was easy after that.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Interesting. My Pioneer couplers couple and uncouple under pressure, no issue.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Well that's a Bingo, Home Run or whatever... Solved the issue without all the fuss of taking things apart. Thanks a lot!

Cheers
Andy

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Dawilliams has good advise on relieving the pressure.

I leave my BH with the boom and swing in their locked positions, and the bucket at full curl resting on the knuckle. I also use nylon cargo straps to hold the jacks in the upright position. If you have large temperature differences between when you put it away and then put it back on it will cause issues. Hydraulic implements sitting in the sunshine tends to build up pressure too.

Last trick is to shut down the tractor, relieve some hydraulic pressure in the backhoe boom and swing circuits by letting the mechanical locks take hold, then disconnect the hydraulic lines.