A little help with my "new" B7100DT

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Just quit dreaming and finally went "orange" when I found this 1979 B7100DT tractor on Craigslist here in eastern WA. For cheap, like cheap (just 20 Ben's!) He didn't even know what model it was so I took the serial number & saw through the painted decal (and later found the model on the left side of the tranny)

Carefully, I poured over all the forums to learn as much as I could (and from the articles, immense wealth!) Since I had little help from the previous owner as he doesn't seem to know much about it as he bought it for his father-in-law who pretty much neglected it by leaving it unattended for two years in one spot, I was pretty much starting from scratch. At least he was honest. At the time of sale, the tractor was started with starting fluid, FEL moved very slow, but the transmission and the 3-point was very strong. Good AG tires. (I got the warning for using starting fluid later, I know now)

After purchasing it, I brought it home and went over it. The FEL just quit working so I was ready to accept that because one of the cylinders for the bucket was leaking significantly. The hoses on the FEL was in old condition as well and guessed that the fluid was low. I took off the cylinder and took it in to have it serviced and had replacement hoses made to replace those on the FEL itself (for the bucket & arm). I also swung by a local Kubota dealer and got some new oil, fuel, air filters and a bunch of fluids & stuff at the local auto parts store.

Believe it or not, I'm excited about my new tractor while my wife thinks it should belong in a museum! I forgot to take "before" pictures so you'll see the new hoses & missing cylinder in these two.

What I've done so far was to replace fuel filter and the air filter. I moved on to the FEL hydraulics which runs off the pump at front. I replaced the hoses & temporarily blocked off the ports for the missing cylinder for the bucket so I can get it working & identify other areas to work on while waiting for the cylinder to come back. I drained (not much came out) from the bottom by removing the hose & filled up the reservoir through the port on top with a funny looking cap. Started it up & ran the FEL through the motions at least 5 times both ways, full stops, I was happy that it started working well until the fluids started coming out through the over flow from that funny cap (which I assume is built just for that). I thought it was too much so I continued to "exercise" the FEL by moving wet snow and it would occasionally spurt fluid and I'd continue to mop up. Eventually, it quit working (wouldn't go up) so I parked it without lowering the FEL. As an afterthought, I did measure the position of the FEL before quitting for the day. Next day, I came out and the FEL was dead-on at the same spot and no leaks from the new hoses so the hydraulics is holding them up strongly.

Leaking cylinder before taking it off for repair...

Old hoses...

New hoses...

I don't know if the FEL is a Kubota part or an aftermarket (I'm thinking it is) and I have absolutely no reference or identifying sticker except for the warning label. If anyone knows, I'd be grateful for the info or at least, some idea about it. I KNOW there has to be a filter somewhere and hopefully any of you can give me some insight where it is, how to properly drain & fill this, and what the problem might be?

Warning label...

View of the right side with the fill port and what I assumed is a built-in vent?

What's this black-capped thing near the top?

Some images of the pump & controls... the suction hose was replaced (foreground) but the fittings were different sizes. I should replace the fitting on the pump to match the inner diameter of the hose so I wouldn't have to clamp it down so far to compensate.

I also noticed that some of the B7100's mufflers are pointed forward while mine's pointed up. Is it a choice or?

Everything on the tractor works very well except for starting as I still had to use starting fluid to start it twice to work on the FEL & no more. I will try testing the glow plugs for resistance, replace the battery cables with 6g (I'm reading somewhere that it uses 8g?), check connections and try it again while using the decompression as part of the start-up procedure to move oil around. Temp is in the 35-40's during the day, 25's at night if it helps.

About myself...
I'm a 43 yo "retired" emergency vehicle upfitter (read: 12vdc electronic guru) from So. Calif. Started my own OEM company manufacturing electronic components for emergency vehicles across the US & International 5 years ago & running strong. I plan to enjoy working outdoors, thinning my property of trees & making a walking / bike / atv path through 10 acres of wood with my new tractor. I've always liked tractors and my head spins whenever I see one in my new neighborhood (moved 3 years ago) and just-got-to-have-one.

Hoping to make new friends here and in person from the area?

Sean

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
I would stop using that ether ASAP, it's really hard on these high compression engines. You can start it easier using a hair dryer to feed hot air into the intake manifold at least til you get the glow plugs working properly. I don't have an answer for on the FEL I'm afraid.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
i am pretty sure that is a Kubota B219 loader. The "black capped thing" you refer to is the fluid return to the fluid reservoir. The only filter is a screen that you can clean by removing the suction hose from the bottom of the reservoir and backing out the large nut fitting the hose connects to.

That looks like a nice tractor. You got a good deal for that price. Fix the glow plugs asap. As Stumpy said "do not use either. Another thing to check right away is for contaminated fluid in the steering box. If the tractor was kept outside water can easily get in the steering box. If it does it rusts the bearing cages, the bearings fall apart and destroy the insides of the box. Parts are very expensive.
I love those wheel weights!!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to OTT, seanbear!
Nice write up and photos, and congrats on a nice looking tractor! It may need a little TLC, but you got your money's worth and then some, and a great tractor. Through the TLC you will learn a lot.
If it is the original muffler, you can take the 4 nuts off and rotate it forward or up, your choice. I like mine forward for clearance.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Congratulations on the new tractor, & welcome to the site.
Your FEL appears to be a B219, with a couple of previous owner mods- the 2 plates welded to the outside of the loader arms at the cross member, the single stick controller, (original was 2 stick) and the controller mounting.
The model number marking should be on the inside of the left upright, just about behind the "warning label" shown in your #6 pic. (mine was painted over) The fill cap is not stock either, but appears functional. Fill level should be about 4" below the top of the tank, manual calls for either ATF or 30w motor oil depending on the vintage, but most of us run the same hydraulic fluid that we use in the tractor. The area below the suction filter screen in mine was full of 30+yrs of sediment, (dirt, leaves, sticks, & dead insects & mice) so you might want to clean that out. I made a dipstick for mine, and I used 5/8" washers to take up all the slack between the movable parts of the loader frame, arms, & bucket at the pins, loader is much more stable side to side now. Also, check all the frame to tractor bolts, don't want any of those walking around.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
On your exhaust: Mine was horizontal when I got it, where it had blackened & burned the crap out of some FEL hoses. I turned it vertical, and sucked diesel fumes for a couple of uses, then made an extension as in the pic below- works great now.

Attachments

seanbarr

Equipment
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Thanks so much fellas! Already, I've learned so much and it gave me many ideas to start. Why do I feel like a kid at Disneyland, not sure where to start? In any case, with the information you gave, it's starting to open doors and I'm very eager to get started.

Engine - The starting fluid's now regulated to the back shelf and never to be used on my tractor. I'm going to check on the glow plugs, I have a distinct feeling that they are simply not working. Perusing the other postings about the glow plugs and the indicator lights, my glow indicator simply lights up immediately so I'm going to have to verify this by checking them individually for ohm, connections, voltage, the coils, etc. If the tractor ran, it's just a matter of battery juice, fuel, and glow plugs in working order right? It sounds like basic mechanics to me.

FEL - I'm soo glad to know that my FEL has a name! I searched and found a .pdf manual for it unfortunately, the pictures were hard to read. Is there anyone who could point to a better manual online or scan theirs? I'd be happy to pay for it. At this point, I can't identify what the capped tube is supposed to hook up to and how this plays a role in this FEL. Reading the manual a little more, I read that it's important to keep the engine speed above half speed. It kind of makes sense, I may have been conservative about the engine speed when working the FEL.

Bucket - My FEL bucket is in sorry shape with holes in the bottom of the bucket, I believe I have the B272 and want to get a B273 or equivalent. (48") I understand that the company that makes the FEL is not around anymore and I'm considering contacting Coldwater Tractors and asking if they can make a bucket for me. Any input on this?

ROPS - Yup, I perused the Kubota website about the ROPS program. I submitted my info last week and just got a quote today for $308.28 installed. I noticed that there may have been some modifications on the back where the ROPS is mounted. It looks like something was welded then removed later but leaving some pieces on it. If anyone would be kind to post close-up, detailed area of the rear with or without the ROPS, it would help me make sure I know what to grind off, fix, etc to accommodate the ROPS before I take it in. It'd make my wife happy.

B7100 Manual - Ordered that, it's on the way!

Electrical - I'm planning to add some work lights, warning lights on this. Doubt that it puts out enough to run anything. Anyone put a small alternator on it to provide extra electrical juice? I'm only asking 30a max.

As soon as I get this all done, I promise you all pictures before moving to the next step in getting/fabricating tools for it!

seanbarr

Equipment
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Forgot to add...

Stumpy - Hair dryer? Genius! I have an industrial hot air gun & gonna try it!

Kubotasam - I posted for more info about the "capped" tube, do you have pictures of your setup I could reference with? I'll look into the steering gearbox for sure. Thanks for that tip!

Hodge & Lil Foot - I feel welcome, thank you! I really like the exhaust extension. How was this done? Muffler shop fix you one up? And how did you get it black?

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
T Perusing the other postings about the glow plugs and the indicator lights, my glow indicator simply lights up immediately so I'm going to have to verify this by checking them individually for ohm, connections, voltage, the coils, etc.
The Glow plug indicator on my kubota ia a coil that glows after 20 or 30 seconds,are you saying this glows as soon as you turn the ign key anticlock to the heat position?
Dave

seanbarr

Equipment
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Yup, that's precisely what it's doing. I got a wiring diagram somewhere which I'll be using to guide me along as I troubleshoot. Something's fishy for sure if yours don't glow until 20-30 seconds along. Can you tell me what it's supposed to do? Does the indicator suppose to light up AFTER the glow plugs are warm enough or are they simply indicating that the current is being applied to the glow plugs?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Sorry, I missed the "black capped thing" question earlier. The right upright acts as the hydraulic tank for the FEL. The large hose at the bottom is the suction feed for the pump, and the larger fitting where it attaches is the strainer/filter, with the afore mentioned sediment pit below it.
The "black capped thing" is supposed to be where the return hose from the controller is attached..... if it is not attached there, I fail to understand how the fluid is returning to the tank, or how the FEL is operating.... :confused::confused::confused:
Maybe that is why it's puking fluid.....

More to come on the exhaust, need to see if I have some pics....

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Yup, that's precisely what it's doing. I got a wiring diagram somewhere which I'll be using to guide me along as I troubleshoot. Something's fishy for sure if yours don't glow until 20-30 seconds along. Can you tell me what it's supposed to do? Does the indicator suppose to light up AFTER the glow plugs are warm enough or are they simply indicating that the current is being applied to the glow plugs?

If the coil doesnt glow the tractor doesnt start or starts with roughness ,its a very faint glow which on a bright day is barely visible at the bottom of the recess. so its not indicating current or it would glow all the time the key was in heat position
dave

Last edited:

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Hi and also a big welcome to OTT.
You have made the right choice with that machine, they are built to last, and most certainly over-engineered (unlike new stuff).
I think you will certainly enjoy ownership , they are great to have wether to work with or just messing about with.

If you need more detailed specs on the loader or pics, i have an original owners manual in my desk here, just drop me a line and i'll email you the info.

good luck with it and do keep us updated with things.

rgds
rob

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
I have modified my B7100 quite a bit recently including electrics with work lamps etc, have a trawl through other b7100 users posts, yu will get some great info from them.:)

rob

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The exhaust stack was pretty simple- went to local muffler shop, picked out a 5' piece of 1 1/2" tube, had them bend it almost 180 degrees, (u-shape) leaving one leg about 3' long. They charged me $20. When I got home, I picked a height, (29" I think) cut the long leg to length, cut curved part to vent exhaust down & away. (and keep rain out) The end that attaches to the muffler outlet needed to be flared (expanded) slightly to fit, but I had the tool. You could probably take the muffler in with you & have them flare it to fit. Then I added a 2nd brace above the stock one as shown in the pic. I think it was 1/8" X 5/8" steel strap. A little flat black hi-temp exhaust paint & you're done.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Here's the ROP attachment from mine- 6 bolts total, 2 from each side, 2 from the rear.

Attachments

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
and a few of it with my kubota ROPS , although there are numerous types of rops that are found fitted to B7100's.mine is Kubota item which i swapped over from my HST, its really well made and fits really a treat on the back end.

Pics are not brill, sorry.

rob

Attachments

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I keep thinking about your hydraulic plumbing.... you should have 4 lines coming out of the valve going to the cylinders. The pump will draw fluid thru the large line at the bottom of the tank (thru the strainer/filter) and supply high pressure fluid to the control valve to a port usually marked "in". There should also be a port marked "out" which will return fluid to the tank thru the fitting which appears to be capped off on yours. This make any sense?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Rob's ROP pics appear to be the original roll bar, where mine is the current ROPS retrofit bar.