A bit of help....Please?

Sgtwal

Jun 9, 2014
Terre Haute, IN.
I was "given" a B6100E that came as a "Kit".
I was told that the tractor was used as a "donor" for another tractor.
Supposedly the other tractor blew a head gasket and they swapped the engines. The other one was a 4X4 and this wasn't.
The engine arrived in a trash can, with the block bolted to the frame to hold the parts together.
The biggest problem is the engine has no serial number that I can find. I've looked everywhere the web says the number should be and it isn't there. Maybe I'm seeing it and it just looks wrong. I'm used to a flat spot with a stamped number somewhere.
Is there another way to ID the engine model ?
It would help as the local parts house can't seem to match the parts. The engine is supposed to be a D650A, but parts ordered for that model don't always fit. For example the new headbolts were too slender and wouldn't hold in the block.
If anyone has an idea for getting an ID on this thing please say so?

Sterno

Equipment
Kubota B6100D, B7100HST, Ber-Vac S51 3PT Snowblower, Kubota A450
Dec 9, 2012
Summerland, British Columbia
There should be a number punched in on top of block by injector pump, right underneath where the fuel line comes in. Also there will be a raised casting mark showing displacement on the same side of the block at the very back top by the bellhousing. Example, my D750 has 762cc marked on it,

Pictures, we love pictures!!! They're also really helpful with this kind of work.

*Edit, speaking of pictures, very bottom center here, the bare spot under the valve/hosebarb

Attachments

Last edited:

Sgtwal

Jun 9, 2014
Terre Haute, IN.
Many thanks From the discriptions I was looking lower on the block. When you said 762cc that rang a bell as this block has the same marking.
On the flat below the hose fitting there are numbers. It looks like D750-D-831160.
Well, that may explain why the parts house can't match parts it's not the right engine. The data plate says it's supposed to be a D650-A
if this works here are some pics. It looked worse when I got it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Good new for you is that the D750 will install in the place of the D650 with no issues! They have the same bolt pattern, and all the other parts are laid out the same. Little confused on parts not fitting as 99% of the parts are the same between the 2 models.

Sgtwal

Jun 9, 2014
Terre Haute, IN.
I ordered new headbolts and they were visibly thinner than the old ones and would not hold when I tried to tighten them. Just popped free.
Issue now is push rods. The ones in the "Kit" are mismatched. some are thin and so short there is almost no adjustment left in the rockers and a couple are almost a quarter inch longer and heavier. The bigger ones seem to fit better, but I want the set that should be in there.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wellllll you want the good news or the bad news?

Good news is I know what the head bolt #'s are. ;)
Bad news is there is 4 different head bolt possibilities! :eek:

Do you have the original head bolts?
If you do I can narrow it down for you.
Was there 14 bolts or 12 bolts and 2 studs.
Or if you give me a couple pictures of the top of the valve cover, there is a difference between some of them.

As far as the push rods go there sounds like a small problem, sounds like your parts guy just sold you the wrong ones, as all models and years take the same push rods, 15261-15110 and they are all the same length.

Last edited:

Sgtwal

Jun 9, 2014
Terre Haute, IN.
The head has 14 bolts, I did manage to find the full 14.
The push rods I have are as I described.
Here's a pic. Which one is the right one? I only ask because I may need just 1 or 5.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So I take it you didn't get them new, I'll pull one out of my D750 that I have sitting here tomorrow and give you a better set of measurements to go off of.
Based on the fact that it took all bolts tells me that it's a new style D750.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My pushrods measure 5" / 126.6mm long end to end, and .1965 / 5mm wide at the stem.