9960 idle only

wayne74

Equipment
M 9960
Jan 8, 2018
YUBA CITY
I have 9960 with 1378.0 hrs and I am getting a message ( ECU-NG ). The engine starts fine but only runs at an idle and does not respond the the hand throttle or foot throttle. Can anyone give me an idea where to start looking for the problem?

Thank You.
Wayne

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Check a couple of foolish simple things first before talking to the dealer.

The first, Check your fuses for moisture and corrosion.

The second thing to check is any quick disconnects going to or from the ECM. Chances are good there isnt an issue with the connections at the ECM. They are usually pretty bullet proof. Check the rest though for moisture, and corrosion. I've had a few other brands come through the shop with an ECM that start throwing codes and not throttling up. Ended up being moisture in a main connector on the harness. On one, corrosion ate through a couple of the pin connectors. On the others, I was able to clean the pins with contact cleaner, then filled the back side of the connectors with dielectric grease to keep the water from getting into the back of the plugs,

The third is to visually check the wiring for any chewed, broken, or burned wires.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I have 9960 with 1378.0 hrs and I am getting a message ( ECU-NG ). The engine starts fine but only runs at an idle and does not respond the the hand throttle or foot throttle. Can anyone give me an idea where to start looking for the problem?

Thank You.
Wayne
The engine is in "limp" mode. you will require the dealer with Diagmaster to determine why it is there. Any history or buildup to this condition?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
then filled the back side of the connectors with dielectric grease to keep the water from getting into the back of the plugs,
That is wonderful stuff. I started using it on the plugs for my baler. Always had issues from time to time with poor connection and throwing codes. Went away after using the grease.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That is wonderful stuff. I started using it on the plugs for my baler. Always had issues from time to time with poor connection and throwing codes. Went away after using the grease.
Absolutely. :D Although quite a few people don't realise that dielectric grease is a non conductor. And make the mistake of filling the plug end of a quick connect slap full of it creating more issues :rolleyes:

wayne74

Equipment
M 9960
Jan 8, 2018
YUBA CITY
I pulled the seat today and found mice or rats had chewed the wires to the ECU. Tomorrow i will check on a new harness!

Thank you for your help.

Wayne

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I pulled the seat today and found mice or rats had chewed the wires to the ECU. Tomorrow i will check on a new harness!

Thank you for your help.

Wayne

Prepare yourself for sticker shock. Once that is done, you may have luck finding a dealer who might have a junk harness with a good ECU connector. Worth a shot. I have two but they are L3301/3901 harnesses-and are different obviously.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hope you're not like my friends NH. His had a 2 piece harness @ $5k each. Cost more to fix the wiring than the tractor was worth.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If you have enough room away from any quick connects or the ECM connectors. Then you have the option of getting some butt splices and heat shrink and fix the existing harness. Then your under $20 for the repair.