8 ply tire pressure

CrashmanS

Equipment
BX25
Aug 2, 2014
Buckhannon WV
After a sidewall blowout on my BX25 stock 4 ply front tires, I replaced them with new 8 ply. What is the recommended tire pressure? Same as stock or more? The tire itself lists pressures double stock tire pressure. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Generally the pressures on a tire's sidewall are the maximum pressures the tire can safely handle. You can continue using the lower pressures with no issues. If you load the FEL you may want to increase tire pressure in the front tires to support it.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The other part of the situation you should not loose sight of is the rim.

In the extreme, doubling the tire pressure will increase the stress in the rim and may lead to failure.

Regardless of the ply count, the tire is still carrying the same weight as before.

You will have noticed how a tire, particularly a soft tire, is flattened on the bottom.

The pressure in the tire is counter balancing the weight on the tire.

Assume a front tire has to carry 900 pounds. If the inflation pressure is 30 psi (pounds per square inch) the flattened tire area carrying the weight is 900/30 = 30 square inches of tire in contact with the ground.

Double the pressure to 60 psi and you will have 1/2 the same area in contact with the ground or 15 square inches.

The higher pressure lessens the flotation of the tire and increase the risk of getting stuck.

There is no reason to deviate from the pressures Kubota recommends with a FEL.

Dave

CrashmanS

Equipment
BX25
Aug 2, 2014
Buckhannon WV
I just got them installed last week but ran them a little yesterday. They seem well built and very stiff off the rim. Much more sidewall compared to the other tires. But they may have been soft from use (or abuse). But they are also almost 10 years old.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123908968100

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk