50hr maintenance

Velma

Equipment
B2301, FDR1660, RB1560, SGC0554, Pats QH, CMP Dethatcher
May 12, 2022
MI
50hr (49.8 anyways) maintenance complete on the 2301. Wasn’t as bad as I feared.

-all filters came off without any issues
-the dreaded suction filter didn’t suck as much as I thought it would. Lost about 3 qts. Just have everything ready to go and be as quick as possible. Just embrace the mess it’s gonna make.

For those yet to do their first oil change…don’t sweat it. Here’s what you will need for a 2022 B2301 …

-watch a couple you tube videos
-9/16 wrench for the oil plugs
-Engine Oil Filter HH150-32094
-HST Oil Filter HH660-36060
-Suction Oil Filter HH670-37712
-The OEM filters are all labeled to keep them straight. Nice.
-Used a cheap rubber strap wrench for the filters. The cup socket I had purchased for the filters did not work worth a damn…grrr.
-3’ish qts of diesel oil of YOUR choice
-gallon of UDT2 just in case
-used oil catch/container
-shop towels, lots of shop towels
-cold beverage and some 80’s rock in the background also couldn’t hurt 😏

Next up 3” BORA wheel spacers…

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Nice write up.

My plug is 14mm. Betting yours is too if 9/16” works.

Tractors are pretty much 100% metric. Attachments often are mostly SAE, but varies depending on their origination (e.g., I think my snowblower is Canadian).

Only point it out so you don’t round the plug off.

That would really suck….

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Nice write up.

Tractors are pretty much 100% metric. Attachments often are mostly SAE, but varies depending on their origination (e.g., I think my snowblower is Canadian).

That would really suck….
When new the oil drain plugs have a heavy coat of paint and a 14mm won't begin to go on. I used a 12 point 9/16" socket and had to tap it on with a hammer. Once I had the plugs out I soaked them in paint stripper, then wire wheeled them till all paint was removed, now the 14mm fits perfectly.

Reactions: 1 user

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
50hr (49.8 anyways) maintenance complete on the 2301. Wasn’t as bad as I feared.

-all filters came off without any issues
-the dreaded suction filter didn’t suck as much as I thought it would. Lost about 3 qts. Just have everything ready to go and be as quick as possible. Just embrace the mess it’s gonna make.

For those yet to do their first oil change…don’t sweat it. Here’s what you will need for a 2022 B2301 …

-watch a couple you tube videos
-9/16 wrench for the oil plugs
-Engine Oil Filter HH150-32094
-HST Oil Filter HH660-36060
-Suction Oil Filter HH670-37712
-The OEM filters are all labeled to keep them straight. Nice.
-Used a cheap rubber strap wrench for the filters. The cup socket I had purchased for the filters did not work worth a damn…grrr.
-3’ish qts of diesel oil of YOUR choice
-gallon of UDT2 just in case
-used oil catch/container
-shop towels, lots of shop towels
-cold beverage and some 80’s rock in the background also couldn’t hurt 😏

Next up 3” BORA wheel spacers…
I had the fuel filter bowl leak after the filter change, flipping the o-rings fixed the drip, but I will never change the fuel filter again without having spare o-rings.

I used the shop vac suction method to dramatically reduce the UDT2 loss. If i would do it again I would leave a much larger gap where the hose meets the oil fill to reduce suction. Maybe I'll turn up a plastic adapter and provide vents to make it convenient.

Velma

Equipment
May 12, 2022
MI
Nice write up.

That would really suck….
Thanks. Being metric it likely is 14mm. Only my 14mm socket would not fit…at least easily. I suspect the grey paint oversized it. The 9/16 6 pt socket just fit better and still plenty snug.

Reactions: 1 user

Velma

Equipment
May 12, 2022
MI
I had the fuel filter bowl leak after the filter change, flipping the o-rings fixed the drip, but I will never change the fuel filter again without having spare o-rings.

I used the shop vac suction method to dramatically reduce the UDT2 loss. If i would do it again I would leave a much larger gap where the hose meets the oil fill to reduce suction. Maybe I'll turn up a plastic adapter and provide vents to make it convenient.
Fuel filter change is next weekend. Thanks for the tip on the o ring

Gary Olson

Equipment
L2501 w/FEL and grapple, 3pt auger
Mar 10, 2022
Mark Twain Forest
Once I had the plugs out I soaked them in paint stripper, then wire wheeled them till all paint was removed...
I painted the plugs bright yellow. And the engine oil fill cap, dipstick, air filter end, edge of radiator screen, anything which gets regular maintenance. Looking into the mechanical depths of dark grey everywhere is tedious and can make me swoon and forget something. I painted the sway tightening lugs on the auger so I don't forget to check.

I wish I could find bright yellow grease zerks also.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I painted the plugs bright yellow. And the engine oil fill cap, dipstick, air filter end, edge of radiator screen, anything which gets regular maintenance. Looking into the mechanical depths of dark grey everywhere is tedious and can make me swoon and forget something. I painted the sway tightening lugs on the auger so I don't forget to check.

I wish I could find bright yellow grease zerks also.
Get the yellow caps for the grease fittings.