50" VS 55" VS dare I say - - - 51" 3PT Snowblower

whobee

Equipment
Kubota B2301, Snapper Pro 61" ICD 32HP ZTR
Mar 31, 2018
Northeast
Here is my situation. Signed the dotted line today on a BX2380 with FEL, 60" MMM, and still need to lock up the snowblower selection.

This is homeowner use, 150' newly paved asphalt driveway that is a straight shot in and then has a 30X30' landing right behind the 2 car garage. The landing has a slight incline to the garage (great for runoff).

[______ ]
[______ ]
[______ ]_______________________________________
[
[_______________________________________________

I am leaning towards the manual rotation Landpride 51" rear mount blower (4 blade impeller) which allows me to use the FEL to backscrape the garage doors and since it is a straight shot and new, level asphalt, I figure my actual backwards blowing drive time will be under 15 minutes so I can live with the PIA sideways sitting requirement of a 3PT blower for the reduced $$$ outlay and better build of the 51" unit.

Or should I give in and spend the extra $1k+ for a front mount 50" (3 blade) or $2k for 55" (4 blade, serious "moula") unit?

Thanks

Last edited:

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Do you have experience with rear snowblower? Have used a rear mount for 25 years. Absent a cab,You will WEAR as much snow as is blown. Lightweight consistency and wind conditions exacerbate the problem. The constant chriopractic neck rotation is an issue. Already hearing the howls of dissent, snowblowers are NOT fast. Fine for drifts where I still use mine. A blade or pusher more efficient, must make more repeat actions during prolonged and rapid accumulations. Don't know if you have brand options for front mount? Others will offer input, I only have owned one rear mount, others will advise their experience. Some recommend chains, NOT on my new asphalt!! Consider each post carefully, weigh your options, choose carefully..

Note: the first time you snag a vehicle or the house with the FEL, while looking elsewhere, very unhappy feeling

OFF TOPIC: Noticed you selected a MMM. Here is a post I read recently for consideration. Not my words but I have a mmm mower I no longer use.

!!The problem with MMM's is that they're A) proprietary, B) expensive, and C) eliminate ground clearance.

If you ever want to sell it, whoever buys it has to have the exact same tractor as you do, so since they're not universal it makes them next to impossible to sell.

Most MMM's cost $2-3K and for that kind of money you can buy a decent lawn mower which will be more maneuverable, lighter, and much better suited to mowing lawns.

If you use your tractor anywhere where you need ground clearance you have to remove and man handle the deck out from under the tractor. It's not as easy as dropping an implement off the 3pt.

Further, if rear tread width is same as mower, difficult to mow close to objects. Narrow mmm casters gouge wet sod due to deck weight.

Last edited:

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
I'm probably one of the few who like my rear 3pt blower. Only problem, the last couple of years it has done little more than be ballast for the fel. I would like a 50" pusher for the fel. Just haven't had enough snow.

Sent from my LGUK410 using Tapatalk

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I personally prefer rear mount blowers. They are less expensive, keep my FEL available, and can be easily swapped out for a rear blade for light snow. I did get tired of getting soaked in powder, which will happen with front or rear blowers. The looking backwards thing never bothered me, but many operators don’t care for it.
As for width, the blower should at least cover your tractor width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mainah

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501HST, BLMX3164 blower, BB1266 box blade, BX42S chipper, Titan forks
Feb 26, 2018
Standish, Maine
I prefer a rear blower as well. I just went from a JD X530 with a 47” front blower to a 64” rear on my L2501 and I’m very happy with it. I’ve run that setup on a larger tractor in the past and find it’s a lot more versatile, especially if you have any areas that aren’t paved.
Like was already mentioned, they’re half the money, much easier to mount and take off, especially with a QH, and usually much heavier and built stronger. They’ll run practically forever with not a lot of care if you do the basic maintenance.
It comes down to personal preference and whether you can stand looking behind you. I have a bad back with a surgery and I don’t have any issues as long as I don’t just stay in one position all the time. I couldn’t do it all day though.

mpham

Equipment
B 2650 cab
Nov 15, 2016
Massachusetts
I have two driveways 100 feet long and use my rear 3pt and love it. I use my quick attach bucket or plow for cleanup and small under 6inch storms.