50 hr service?

roy2636

Mar 29, 2015
iowa
so I bought a new tractor back in November. I know in the manual it says not to change the oil until after 50 hours since it has a break in oil. my question is, with winter I havnt been able to run it much. not a lot of snow. so im at 24 hours. if im coming up on 3 months and I still havnt hit 50 hours should I change it anyway? or should I wait until its 50 hours even if it 6 months down the road?

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
3 months is nothing to the oil. I'd hold off until you were closer to 50 even if that put you another 6 months down the road. Even more so during winter, that engine won't come close to running hot this time of year so even at 50 hrs that will still be pretty darn good oil.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
so I bought a new tractor back in November. I know in the manual it says not to change the oil until after 50 hours since it has a break in oil. my question is, with winter I havnt been able to run it much. not a lot of snow. so im at 24 hours. if im coming up on 3 months and I still havnt hit 50 hours should I change it anyway? or should I wait until its 50 hours even if it 6 months down the road?

Roy,

the first 50 are the most important 50 hours......all the break in crud and what not come loose then, you can change 3 times a year if you wish - but at some point the $$$ is wasted on fresh oil.

50 hours on an engine oil is so very little, like taking your car on a 500 mile break in - get that stuff out and place some good stuff in!

If you are planning on doing some winter work and see some seat time - go ahead and change it if you have time and energy!:) Might want to slip in some 0w or 5w in there for ease of starting.

Either way - you will be fine, 50 hours is just a number!;)

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
What they said, I pretty much go by the manual as to when I service and have even gone beyond or the time/number, nothing magical about them. My manual says if the service light comes on to finish the job then service.

78Vette

Equipment
F2690
Mar 14, 2010
SW Ont. Canada
I go by what the book says. I also have a newer kubota that's been sittin around waiting for snow with 24 hours on it, and i'll wait till the clock hits 50 before changing fluids/filters.

roy2636

Mar 29, 2015
iowa
thanks for the input. ive been trying to run it for BS jobs around the house when I can, but with it being winter I knew it would sit a lot. ive thought about clearing some of the snow in the field, for the goats, so I can hit that 50 hour mark. I wanted to get some 10w30 in it for winter. we have had some snow, recently snow and ice, and boy I tell you what. that mx4800 makes moving snow a pinch so it doenst take to long. so I don't even get a lot of time moving snow to begin with. last snow we got I did clear some areas for the goats since it was high, and it was my first time moving snow with it and I don't have a bucket level indicator. so I was practicing out in the field with it while I cleared a area for the goats.

davesl708

Equipment
BX2200, LA211, RCK60B-22BX, 5ft. Rototiller, Rear Blade, 4ft Drag Harrow
Feb 24, 2013
Shawnee, Kansas
Follow the manual during warranty. 50 is not just a number.
Gears and bearing need time to wear in and mesh. Don't get in a hurry.
The manufacturer put that oil in there for a reason and specified 50hrs for a reason.