48" Box Blade Choices

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
http://www.landpride.com/products/58/bb12-series-box-scrapers

http://www.palletforks.com/three-po...des/titan-4-box-blade-tractor-attachment.html

Choosing between Land Pride and Titan 48" box blades. After discounts, the Land Pride is $85.00 more. Unit weight is very close to the same. I see pro's and con's either way. I like the clevis type hook-up on the LP but prefer the pin type shank adjustment on the Titan as you don't need to pack a pair of pliers. My suspicion is that the LP may be better engineered but can't swear to it. Anyone here know if there is an obvious 'best' choice between the two units? It will be going behind a BX1870. Thank you guys/gals.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Well I think LandPride is made in the USA, Titan shipments originate in China, I'm pretty sure.

All things being equal, I'd choose to employ fellow American's whenever I can.

edwardsonmark

Apr 8, 2016
US
I don't like the clevis type hitch on my lp. I also really don't like how the shank adjustment on my lp. I have seen fixes for this but your spending additional money to fix the design flaw just my .02

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I've got the Land Pride BB1248 on my BX1870 and I'm very happy with it--very solidly built with quality welds. I like the clevis type hitch, which seems much stronger. One deciding factor for me is that the LP is Quick Hitch compatible--I don't see anything stating the same for the Titan.

The shank adjustment is not ideal. I did recently purchase some L pins mentioned in another thread here to replace the springs--looks like they'll work well, though I haven't used them yet, and they did cost about $25 shipped.

No direct experience with the Titan, though I bought clamp on pallet forks from them that were well made--better quality than I expected given the price.

Jack

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
So, I am going to spend the extra $85.00 and do my part to 'Make America Great, Again'. :)

We will keep the box blade on a dolly, making the clevis type lower arm hook-up pretty painless. Sure I can modify the shank adjustments if they prove to be a nuisance. Besides, the LP is as close to a local pick up as we get @ 100 miles, round trip.

Thanks for the input, fellas! Make it a great day.

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
I bought this one last year - I do not think it is as heavy duty as a land pride, but for the price I paid, like had a coupon that allowed almost a $100 off, it was a good buy. Used it once - seemed to work fine.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660623_200660623
Damn I like that. My tractor came with a 48" Jbar box blade, and while it does the job, it only has 3 rippers. I'd prefer 4 like the others posted in this thread. 3 seems too far apart so it digs trenches instead of effectively breaking up dirt.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I bought this one last year - I do not think it is as heavy duty as a land pride, but for the price I paid, like had a coupon that allowed almost a $100 off, it was a good buy. Used it once - seemed to work fine.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660623_200660623
Holy, 85Hokie Smoley, the least expensive shipping estimate was $350.00 for me. The nearest store is 2.5 hours away, each way. It would be a good option if it was on the other side of town, though.

I don't believe I fit into the 'SNOB' category. However, I was told many years ago (decades) that a guy would never be disappointed in quality when it comes to tools and equipment. I have always done my best to keep that in mind when shopping. I feel comfortable that Land Pride represents a pretty good value in terms of quality and long term satisfaction.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"the least expensive shipping estimate was $350.00 for me."

I got lucky .....they would ship to the store for free - my nearest store is 30 minutes away, but I had to wait like 6 weeks to have it "made" and shipped from somewhere in the north midwest.

It came in a metal rack - and you had to unbolt the rack to get it out.

One thing that struck me funny - they use rather large carriage head bolts to hold the blades in place...... I engaged the ground once, for like 10 seconds and then put it up.

Walked over the area where I dug - looked down and found a large quarter shaped "coin" - immediately knew what it was!!! It was the head of the carriage bolt!

SO - option "A" was to go back to the store.....raise hell with someone that had nothing to do with "it" - they would say - bring it back! SO .....that wasnt happening....

option "B" was to demand new bolts all the way around........to get that done would have taken an act of congress!

Option "C" was to say "F 'em" - I 'll buy my own bolts and nuts and washers and fix it myself and not say a word to them!!! SO I went to TSC and bought grade 8 bolts and took them all out and fixed it.

Funny - then I went back to give them a "bad" star rating, and I got a reply that it was being approved......well to this day it was never posted!!!! O well - I will use it a lot this summer......see how it works then!

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
85Hokie, that link you provided shows a 48" BB with 4 shanks. The description says it has 5 shanks. That is a problem that I often see with Northern Tool product descriptions. They say one thing but show another.

Anyway, I have the LP BB1548 box blade and I am very happy with it. I like the durability and the quality of workmanship. I have used it to dig up rocks all over my property and also used it to plow up my wife's garden. It has gotten a fair amount of use but it does not show any appreciable wear. I have owned it for about two years now. It is a great product. I do not regret my purchase.

Kyle_CMU

Equipment
BX1870 and B7100D - HST
Mar 27, 2013
Midland, MI, USA
I ordered the Titan ones on Sunday for $550 with free shipping. If you're still interested, I'd be happy to let you know what I think once they arrive on Friday.

I also ordered one of the receiver hitches.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Think I got a little lucky - picked this up "used" from the dealer for $500 loonies.
(This was after I got a complaint from the other half about the job I did on the driveway with the loader!)

Attachments

Last edited:

Kyle_CMU

Equipment
BX1870 and B7100D - HST
Mar 27, 2013
Midland, MI, USA
Should have used toonies, it would have been half as many.

Think I got a little lucky - picked this up "used" from the dealer for $500 loonies.
(This was after I got a complaint from the other half about the job I did on the driveway with the loader!)

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I stopped at the dealer yesterday and put my eyeballs on the Land Pride. Other than the funky shank keepers, I really liked what I saw. I will be picking one up Saturday and have a solution in mind for changing the keepers out for something different. If it works, I will share the details.