3rd function or diverter?

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Guys, I need to know if I should get an electrically operated 3rd function valve or a diverter valve from my bucket outputs to operate an add-on grapple to my old bucket.

Diverter valve:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?catname=hydraulic&qty=1&item=9-7852

I've already ordered this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200338991_200338991?cm_mmc=Housefile-_-RECEIVED-_-707-_-CONF

...and may either build or buy something like this:

http://www.wikco.com/addgrpl.html

With two buckets (regular & grapple), I plan to add quick-disconnects for the grapple portion on the arms. If I'm using the regular bucket, what prevents anyone from putting pressure on the grapple lines as a fail-safe measure? I could think of using a switch to make sure it doesn't switch over but I'm worried about forgetting to switch it off and make a costly mistake.

Any advice?

Tractor Seabee

Equipment
BX25, brush hog, RT, Rake, BB, QH, Disc, Log Splitter,12K Trailer, Dodge 3500 PU
Sean,

I am planning some additions to my BX25. My plan is to put add 4 valve spoo,l under the FEL joy stick, primarily for the rear. One will pipe both directions from a tee and QCs. The forward one will be connected to the grapple I am building. Depending on what is connected to the fourth valve will be what works. An idea if you are planning 3PT hyd attachments or chipper etc. Just about ready to buy those valves from Surplus Center.

Ron

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
I'm right in the middle of competing a project very similar to what you are doing. Just finished up adding the same loader valve for rear remote ports and plan on using one for the grapple.
Now after completing that part I think I may add the diverter like you show on the bucket curl circuit for the grapple if I can find a good place to mount it since it looks like about for $250 that could be done and work off the button on the loader joystick rather than the remote lever then have both remote circuit for the rear all the time rather than switching them..
If I understand your question correctly you are worried that you might operate the grapple lever and send pressure through those line when the grapple is not attached.
I don't think that's a problem with the QD's the circuit will bleed off when the valve is opened without the tractor running before you hook the grapple lines back up.
If I'm off base on your question , sorry maybe someone else will come along with a better idea..

This is where I'm at on my add on grapple..

Attachments

seanbarr

Equipment
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Seabee,

Are you saying that it's possible to do a T fitting so one circuit can control either the front OR the rear? If so, that may be just the ticket I'm looking for as I thought about adding a port for the rear but thought I've got too many on my plate. If it's entirely acceptable, I'm gonna do that as it does make sense.

Any reason why you're building as opposed to buying as a kit? I have welding experience as I've fabricated stuff with my old job for 20 years but just limited with working with thick materials (no plasma cutter, no torch, no brake, etc) Sure wish I could buy just the pieces from someone and I could weld them together. How wide is your bucket?

Hope you don't mind me "looking over your shoulder" during your project? I'm a quick study.

Burtonbr,

I can't say for SURE that the diverter is the right thing to use as I don't fully understand the hydraulic system. I'm worried about putting pressure on the grapple line when it's disconnected when I accidentally work the grapple circuit, not about connecting / disconnecting it as I'd imagine you'd shut it off and "relax" the lines by jiggling the controllers. What happens if pressure is sent on the disconnected line with those quick connect? Is that's the job of the FEL controllers with a pressure relief valve?

manofaus

Equipment
bx2350
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
with your joystick control for your loader you get two movements, lift and crowd. Your diverter valve will go in line with either of these function. When you energise the valve it will divert that control of that function to another function.
if you are worried about pressurising the function after the diverter inadvertently, you could just connect together the two lines from the diverter valve when not using the extra function. it would just cycle the fluid through the valve.

seanbarr

Equipment
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
That's what I thought about with the hose loop. Perhaps I'd have to be very careful and use a kill switch somewhere to prevent the diverter from operating. It'd look silly & cumbersome to have a hose loop on the FEL. Somehow, I just KNOW that I may be worrying about nothing.

I'm aware of using the diverter valve and wouldn't mind connecting it to the bucket. Figured I'd curl the bucket down partway, flick the switch, then work the arms & grapple up a load.

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
I don't think there is a need to loop the 2 lines together when not in use. The QD's will hold and The way I understand it if pressure is sent to the grapple hoses without the cylinder attached the pressure can be relieved by cycling that circuit , flipping the switch or holding the button, with the power on but the tractor or pump not running.

If I choose to add a diverter I am thinking about using a shift knob with a button to switch circuits like this one.
http://www.epcoshiftknobs.com/push_button.html