3 pt. counterweight for B7100 with FEL

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
I am thinking of making a counterweight from a plastic, 55 gallon drum. I don't think I need to use the whole drum, but probably half. The plan is to fill it full of concrete. Has anyone made a counterweight for a B7100? How much weight seems to be ideal for you, if you were hauling dirt in the bucket? I have about 250 lbs. of wheel weights as well. Are wheel weights normally used in conjunction with a counterweight, or should I be removing my wheel weights? I don't want to load the back axle too much...

I have a fairly large project this summer, that could involve 60 yards of dirt. It is lighter dirt though...more like a peat moss/dirt combination (dry muck soil to be exact)....lol. Maybe I don't need a counterweight for this type of material?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Unlike the other bigger tractors, the B7100 is very light in what it can maneuver on the front end, in other words - it aint gonna pick up 1000 lbs in the FEL! I bet 400-500 would be a max.

sooooo for that reason - I am not sure I would load down the rear with an equal amount as the fronts capability. I would say 250-300 would be a plenty on the 3 point.

Your machine tips the scale at 1200 ish pounds - even though you want ballast at the rear to offset the front, I would not get too egregious on the rear. 3 bags of quikrete would do rather well.

Builtough

Equipment
Kubota B2601 with loader, pallet forks, rear bade, bush hog
May 15, 2015
Ottawa, Ohio, United states
If you zoom in on the writing on the back of my kubota ballast box you can see they recommend 500 lbs for the B series. I put in 500 worth of concrete and it's been perfect. If I can pick it up, I'm stable!

Attachments

HighSierra79

Equipment
B7100d, M6800 w/FEL, 7' mower, 7' box blade, 42" LP tiller, 5' rake
Sep 1, 2013
MO
I use a drawbar with two old 100lb disc weight mounted to the bar. The old weights had recesses for bolts for frame mounts, so I just run bolts thru the drawbar with washers on top. The weights are circlular, about 5 inches wide, about a foot tall. Take up little space, and best thing, I can roll them. As quick as I can back up and rathchet them on, I have me a good ballast back there. I just happen to go to the barn to see what the heck I could find for weights, and lo and behold. It just ahppen to work out. Glad I don't take all this old, rusty heavy metal to the dump for a few bucks.

Rainman13

Equipment
Kubota L4200, Kawasaki Mule
Jan 6, 2016
Michigan
IMG_20160128_121603041[1].jpg

This is the one I just made from a 55 gallon drum for my L4200 (hope the image attached). It ended up weighing about 1200 lbs but I am using it to run a grapple bucket picking up logs. I made an attachment point for the top link because I didn't like the idea of this thing rocking back and forth. Also added hooks out the back to hang chains/tow strap on, and more weight plates can be stacked on the rod coming out the top if more weight is needed (unlikely). You could probably do something similar with a half barrel or a smaller barrel.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Go to craigslist local, and look for 20 gallon soap barrels. THey are pretty thin, so cut holes carefully, to make your 3 point rack, then pour full of concrete. Once the concrete cures, the drum can fall off, at its own rate of UV deterioration...:D:D

C6pilot

Equipment
BX2370, LA243A, 54" MMM, BXpanded forks, Carry-All, custom ballast
Mar 1, 2016
South Eastern PA
I have a new B8160 ballast box that I'm selling local on CL. The factory sticker on it say's to add 300# for BX, and 500# for B series. I haven't weighed the empty box but it's probably more than 100# itself. The design puts just about all of that weight aft of the 3-point pivot. You'll have to do some math to figure out how much weight you actually need it you change the fulcrum.

Last edited: