3 point Versus Tow Behind Versus Semi-Mount

ccs

Equipment
M5-111HDC12 4WD w/FEL, RC4615, RCF3696: L4060 w/FEL, QH15, RCF2072, BB2572
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hi All...

Adding an 8 foot Land Pride RCF3696 to the lineup...

Whats the forums experience on running: a 3 point hitch mount vs a town behind vs a semi-mount...

Concerned about the extra wear and tear on the tractor using a 3 point..but also the 3 point would seem much more manuverable than a tow behind...land mowed ranges from flat fields to hilly land.

This will be on an M5-111

Thanks for opinions and advice...

Last edited:

UpNorth

Equipment
M5-111
Jun 1, 2017
Minnesota
I have an M5-111, and I use a Woods BB84X 3pt mower. You shouldn't be worried about putting strain on the tractor 3pt, as that is what the tractor is designed to do-work.

As for which is better? Depends on the application. You are correct that the 3pt is more maneuverable, and that is why that's the route I took. The way my farm is layed out, a tow behind just would not have worked. But if you are mowing wide-open areas that don't require a lot of forward-reverse maneuvers, then the tow-behind may be best for you.

One benefit of the tow behind unit is the addition of another pivot point, allowing the mower to "float" along uneven ground better.

ccs

Equipment
M5-111HDC12 4WD w/FEL, RC4615, RCF3696: L4060 w/FEL, QH15, RCF2072, BB2572
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
Thanks UpNorth -- valid point on the ability for a tow behind to "float" -- although its my understanding that on the M5-111 even on the 3 point setup -- it can be set for the mower to "Float" for uneven ground ? Do I have this wrong?

I also thought that by going the 3 point route that if you accidentally hit something..a stump or rock..I could more easily raise the whole mower deck from the cab versus the tow behind type..?? any thoughts on this....

But I do have fairly open areas that a tow behind would work mostly...a little backing up but not a lot...the point above about raising and lowering is one of my biggest concerns...not sure if I can easily raise and lower the mower from cab with the tow behind...?

Last edited:

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Any of the three can be raised from the driver's seat.
Three point: Most maneuverable. Limited float for pitch changes.
Tow behind: Most float, even cut. Easy hook-up. Less maneuverable, can't
'hang' it out over a ditch or bank.
Semi mount: Turns and backs up like a three point mount but won't suspend
or hang. Floats like a hitch mount. Adjustable for pitch, on the
fly. Least common design but works very well.

spacemanspiff

Equipment
M5-111
Dec 4, 2015
Lower ,AL
I have a m5 with an 8ft semi mount and a 10 ft bathing pull type.
You can't make tight turns with the pull type. That cv joint starts making a lot of noise. I would just stick with the 3pt at only 8ft if it were me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

UpNorth

Equipment
M5-111
Jun 1, 2017
Minnesota
Thanks UpNorth -- valid point on the ability for a tow behind to "float" -- although its my understanding that on the M5-111 even on the 3 point setup -- it can be set for the mower to "Float" for uneven ground ? Do I have this wrong?

I also thought that by going the 3 point route that if you accidentally hit something..a stump or rock..I could more easily raise the whole mower deck from the cab versus the tow behind type..?? any thoughts on this....

But I do have fairly open areas that a tow behind would work mostly...a little backing up but not a lot...the point above about raising and lowering is one of my biggest concerns...not sure if I can easily raise and lower the mower from cab with the tow behind...?
Yes and no about making the 3pt float. You can set the 3pt to float from inside the tractor. However, in a mowing application, especially on uneven terrain, it does not work as well as you would think, at least in my experience on my property. It's not the fault of the tractor, rather the combo of the mower and the tractor. It does not allow for much pivoting when going over a series of rolling areas as a tow-unit would. For example, picture you are mowing on a flat surface then begin to go downhill. Depending how steep that "curve" at the top of the hill is, the 3pt may not be able to extend down far enough to keep the mower at the correct mowing height, i.e., it will raise the mower into the air, creating a patch of tall grass.

With a tow behind mower however, there is a pivot point that has a much wider range of motion to float. Still, even though my land is very hilly, the 3pt is fine, and I only experience this problem in a few very uneven areas.

As for the second part of your question, with tow behinds you will be able to raise and lower from the cab via hydraulics. However, I will say that it will not raise it as high as you would be able to with the 3 pt, if that's a concern.