3 point hitch operation

dworthington

Equipment
B7100
May 15, 2023
Battle Ground, WA
I have an old B7100. I've had it for about a year, but just getting around to making sure it's all working correctly. It's not, of course - I think it probably needs one of everything. But all the same, everything seems to be functioning to some degree, having fixed those things that were preventing getting to that point.

Now I need to pay some attention to the 3 point hitch. It works. It also makes a grinding noise when engaging into the lift position - so much so that I was beginning to wonder if it's even hydraulic. It came with a tiller (which I don't really need) and yesterday I tried that out for the first time. The attachment worked, but the PTO shaft has a couple really bad universal joints. So 1st question: better to repair the u-joints or replace the shaft? If I wanted to go to a quick hitch so I could interchange with a John Deere more easily, I'd have to get a longer PTO anyway - no?

Second question: what are the specs for the travel of the lift arms? Regardless of its capacity (which I haven't tested (yet)), I want to know how far they're supposed to travel. Mine seem to move about 6 inches - which seems less than any of my other tractors.

Third question: It drops really quickly. So far, I haven't seen any reference to a bleed-off valve and there isn't one in the normal, modern location just under the seat, but there could be a couple candidates on the lift itself. They are pretty tightly locked down - before I go loosening anything, I thought I'd check in here.

Thanks in advance...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 Yes longer shaft if you go with a QH if it doesn't have enough length already.

#2 Yes that's wrong, they should travel from almost touching the ground to 3foot high??
I'd have to go measure mine.
Check the feed back / cancel rod as the holder it slides in is know to seize up and make the rod bind.

#3 On the top inside of the valve there is a bolt adjustment for drop speed.

Do you have the WSM (aka service manual)?
And is it an HST or gear drive and 2wd or 4wd?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Now I need to pay some attention to the 3 point hitch. It works. It also makes a grinding noise when engaging into the lift position - so much so that I was beginning to wonder if it's even hydraulic..
Please clarify what you mean by this statement…

Raising the 3 point hitch is done hydraulically and generally emits squealing noises and other fluid noises.

The rear PTO is gear driven and ca make gear grinding noises and the drive shaft between the implements and tractor can also make noises.

I’m confused…