3-Point Guidance Needed

apn73

Equipment
B4200 with RC44-42 belly mower and FEL
Jul 26, 2011
SE VA
Hello All,
Total newb here when it comes to farm type equipment. I'm starting to use my new to me B4200 as it was intended and am on a steep learning curve with the 3-point hitch. Is there a way to lock the hitch into position, either hydraulically or mechanically? I baught one of those draw bars that mounts between the lower arms of the hitch for the purpose of moving my lawn cart around. My thinking was that when you set the height of the hitch that it will hydraulically lock into that position, that does not seem to be the case however. The hitch comes flying up with going down hill or when the center of gravity of the transfers to back of the trailer. Can someone tell how to make this thing work?
Thank you,
Adam.

Piker

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2320, 2002 Honda Rubicon
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
There is no down pressure on your hydraulic 3 point hitch to prevent the hitch from raising up as you describe - most farm-type tractors work this way. There should be some sort of attachment point at the bottom of the rear axel housing to hook up a trailer, at least, there is on my B7100. Another alternative I saw here in the past was a chain from the drawbar/lift arms down to the other hitch to prevent the tongue & hitch raising up.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
When I was a kid just starting to work in the mid to late 70's one of our neighboring farmers had an 8N Ford that he used to pull wagons. I don't know if Harve's tractor had hydraulic problems or not, because he never took the stabilizer braces off of it.

The braces were just pieces of flat iron about 1 1/2" X 1/4" with holes that went from the lower 3 Point arms to the top link bracket. These braces are fairly common in farm stores, but might be too large for a Kubota. After you see one you will know how to fabricate your own if the ones meant for Fords and MF tractors won't adjust small enough.

Robert

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Robert (Orange Tractors) is exactly right. You need some kind of metal bars that run from the 2 lower 3pt. arms to the top link bracket. These stabilize the lower bars so they won't rise up in the conditions you described. I've seen two kinds. One that consisted of two pieces of square tubing that one slid inside the other and had corresponding holes drilled along its length. It had a snap coupler that allowed you to quickly adjust the bars to the height you wanted on the horizontal drawbar. The other was like the one Robert described consisting of bar stock that had slots cut in them with bolts that you tightened up once you had the drawbar at the height you wanted. I believe the latter type is available from Tractor Supply. It you are handy with metal, you could fabricate your own. Good Luck!

apn73

Equipment
B4200 with RC44-42 belly mower and FEL
Jul 26, 2011
SE VA
Thank you for the replies; I appreciate the help. I was thinking about buying a clevis adapter, but then you wind up with an articulating set-up with the two points on rotation. Those locking arms look interesting I may try to pick some of those up.
Regards,
Adam.