245DT issues

haasfabrication

Equipment
245dt
Dec 24, 2016
bloomingdale GA
Hey guys new here my name is Dylan, I recently joined the group because I need help trying to figure out while my 245DT is not starting. a little background on myself im 23 years old, active duty army I have a side business for welding and metal fabrication. I bought this tractor about 7ish months ago its a kubota 245DT. its been a fairly good tractor no big issues starter switch broke about 2 months ago so i've been starting it from the starter. fast forward to about 5 days ago I came out and all it did was crank, never fired. it was weird usually if I have that issue I'd spary some starter fluid in it and it would start no issues. but this time it just cranks no fire. tried glowplugs, tried leaving a heater next to the engine for a couple hours (south GA so its not to cold) tried starter fluid, changed batteries for more CCA. nothing so i pulled the valve cover off and started to look at everything maybe the decomp lever is sticking? nope. Valve stuck? taped the head of the valve with a hammer they all moved freely and made the exact same noise i know that doesnt really count at much but usually means they are all generally in the same condition. next stop compression test pulled all the injectors and started. cyl #1 250ish PSI, #2 35PSI ,#3 250ish PSI. boom cylinder 2 maybe it valves or rings. so I put some oil in the cylinder wall and tried again. 200 psi and holding no leak down. for better insurance I got all the oil out and put brake fluid in it for a couple hours to clean any carbon on the rings. turned it over got the fluid out, comp tested it again 180psi a little low but still has pretty good compression from where it was. put it back together and still nothing I dont know where to go next. someone please help give suggestions before I start pulling the whole thing apart.
Thanks in advance

Milo Holroyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 L245DT w/1700 FEL, 2003 L3130 HST,w/ LA723 loader,,and L2174A snowblower
For starters (pun intended) ditch the starter fluid! That will ruin your engine faster than most anything. Factory specs for compression is 470PSI. Might be time for an overhaul.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
starting fluid on these rigs is really bad for them and may have exasperated the issue/wear.

oops.. got distracted by a phone call .. see now that Milo beat me to it.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Everyone has already mentioned it. Compression way too low for a constant start.

And starting fluid in a 22:1 compression engine is asking for an explosion that will at some point put your crankshaft into 2 pieces! Then you have a boat anchor.

Rebuild is in order. Did the tractor run OK when you first got it? Does it have a loader? Do you have implements for it? What was your intended use?

Stick around. You can get all the information you need when rebuilding.

Thanks for your service.

haasfabrication

Equipment
245dt
Dec 24, 2016
bloomingdale GA
thanks guys when i bought it it never ran PERFECT, always took a while to start firing. burned a little oil for about 5-10 seconds after start up. It has a old woods rm59 finish mower on the back where the spindles rusted off the deck. right now its pretty much just a counter weight until i patch the deck. It does have a front end loader on it. that works pretty good but its not enough for what i need it for. I bought the tractor with finish mower on it to use on my property. and owning my own welding business i use it to haul around metal and what not. which im not impressed with. it doesnt like picking up 5-600lbs which isnt good for my needs. so realistically i would like to sell it to get a bobcat or much larger tractor. but for the meantime I may have to overhaul this thing.