2150 Hydraulic leaks and system fill

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I recently purchased a B2150HSTD with no manual, and all the stickers are completely illegible, which has been the subject of a post in the operations forum. I'm giving up on a download, seems the 2150 is odd-ball enough that there is nothing available except manuals on ebay that cost as much or more than Kubota direct new, so I'm ordering one Monday. However, I still have a few ignorant questions I am hoping to get answers on to make progress this weekend. For instance, addressing leaky hydraulics; I hate leaks.

So this tractor has some serious leaks at a few of the fittings for line the PO replaced. I'm hoping the fittings have the right ends, and that the hard line fittings are not damaged. We'll see, and I hope to try to address this tomorrow. But it already acts like it is getting low of hydraulic fluid (no surprise there with the leaks). And since I'll be pulling at least 2 lines to examine the threaded connections, if it's low now, it will sure be low by the time I'm done with the line work.

So, can anyone tell me where the hydraulic fill is located, and how do you set the correct level?

I've always had good luck getting hydraulics to seal without any "help" from tape or the like. But these seem to fit, they are clean/new, not cross threaded, and tight, yet they still leak. If I don't see some obvious problem (like wrong fitting, close but not correct, or damage), I may just try the tape. I've read the debates, and know how to apply it in the right direction, not too much, not too tight, and leaving the end threads clear. (used on plumbing many times). Is this my best bet?

I also need some other hoses, so for reference, what IS the correct fitting for this thing? I'm assuming some metric tapered fitting? I'm familiar with NPT and BST (and fine versions), but not metric.

And finally, with all the work to this and rebuilding the unfortunately neglected hoe, I think it's time for me to pick up at least a 5 gallon pale of hydraulic fluid. There are no Tractor Supply or similar stores in the Phoenix area, so what is the best source for acceptable quality fluid? Not looking for cheapest who-knows-what, but not looking for premium brands either. Just for grins I looked at Costco and Sams with no luck. I may mail order it and just use a gallon from Wally world to do the hose work tomorrow. If so, again, any suggestions for good source and good value product?

Hopefully I won't be asking so many clueless questions once I get a manual. Thank you for your assistance in the mean time.

turck

Equipment
m5140, JD2020, ford 850, farmal 240
Apr 20, 2013
carthage, ny usa
Hydraulic connections shouldn’t need Teflon tape as the ends are designed to mate together and seal. I rely on our local Napa store for hydraulic hose repair; if they have the right fittings they can make high pressure hose replacements or you might have to order direct from Kubota. Oh and the less expensive fluid is the way until you’re sure you have all your leak issues fixed.

alchemysa

Equipment
B1550, backhoe, 4in1 bucket, rear mower.
Jul 1, 2010
Australia
So, can anyone tell me where the hydraulic fill is located, and how do you set the correct level?

If its like my 1550 the filler cap is under the seat. Its small, only about 1" diameter so its easy to miss. It looks much too small to be a filler hole but thats what it is. (Mine is black and also incorporated a short dipstick.) The oil for all the hydraulics (loader, power steer, 3pt hitch, HST etc) all goes in this hole.

At kubotabooks there are parts manuals for a couple of models including 2150 HSD. The server seems to be erratic at the moment but try regularly and you should get it. (Try clicking the tractor pic a couple of times). I find those diagrams are more useful than an ops manual once youve got past the basics.

http://www.kubotabooks.com/

One of the most important things to do with an older tractor is replace the hydro oil filter and clean the metal mesh screens that bolt into the side of the tranny. (I think you only have one screen, located on the right hand side.). Blocked filters and screens can really rob power from the HST and the loader.

Last edited:

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
turck:
I agree, I don't like putting tape on hydraulics, but brand new (apparently decent quality by look) hoses are tight but leaking. If I can't find anything else, I have to assume either the fixed hose fittings (both) are poor quality, or the female hard line fittings (both) are somehow bad. Other than tape, or just replacing the hoses again and hoping, not sure where to go from there. Then again, when I take them off, the problem may be evident, and so tape is not in question. We'll see. The local Kubota shop (Bobcat of Phoenix) makes hoses in house, but apparently don't have info on the books, so just match what I bring. I'll check into NAPA and other options too.

alchemysa:
Thanks, I'll look closer under the seat.

As for the manual, I've looked there before, but missed the parts manual. I just downloaded, thanks for sending me back.

Changing the hydraulic fluid and cleaning the screen (I was assuming the 2150 had one since no external filter was apparent) was already in the plan. Now that I know that the 2150HST uses the same fluid for HST and equipment systems, I'm not sure about my plan to just top off with any old hydraulic oil. I know basically nothing of HST transmissions, but have read they really need the "special" fluid for the transmission. I'm guessing a top off now and run for a short time to get initial leaks etc taken care of (with a little light use on the side) and then drained/flushed shouldn't hurt it. If it's got the right stuff in it already, a small bit of dilution shouldn't hurt. And if it's not the right stuff, a little more time won't likely do much more damage than whatever may be already there.

As always, all help is much appreciated. Thanks!

alchemysa

Equipment
Jul 1, 2010
Australia
alchemysa:
Thanks, I'll look closer under the seat.

As for the manual, I've looked there before, but missed the parts manual. I just downloaded, thanks for sending me back.

Changing the hydraulic fluid and cleaning the screen (I was assuming the 2150 had one since no external filter was apparent) was already in the plan. Now that I know that the 2150HST uses the same fluid for HST and equipment systems, I'm not sure about my plan to just top off with any old hydraulic oil. I know basically nothing of HST transmissions, but have read they really need the "special" fluid for the transmission. I'm guessing a top off now and run for a short time to get initial leaks etc taken care of (with a little light use on the side) and then drained/flushed shouldn't hurt it. If it's got the right stuff in it already, a small bit of dilution shouldn't hurt. And if it's not the right stuff, a little more time won't likely do much more damage than whatever may be already there.

As always, all help is much appreciated. Thanks!
I wouldn't be too worried about mixing hyro fluids myself, but that just me.

I'm not sure if you missunderstood me but I didnt say it was essential to change the fluid. I said it was essential to clean or replace the the filter and mesh. It looks like you have a normal screw on HST filter on the left. (Page 118).
The mesh screen is on the right. Part 070 on manual page numbered 115.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Right again. I can't say "thank you" enough.

I called myself looking for (and hoping for) an easy change spin on filter, which I thought the HSTs had, but didn't find one. Not having a manual, I thought, "Ok, this is like the 7100 where you pretty much drain the system to clean the screen." At your prompting, I look again, and darned if there isn't a screw on under a bit of shielding on the right under the seat. I feel like such a pup on these things, completely out of my element.

Anyway, the filter looks pretty recent, though looks (particularly in Phoenix) can be deceiving. I'll definitely be replacing in any case, just so I know what's there, and how long. Same for the fluid, after resolving the leak and line replacement issues, and cleaning the screen.

bulldog_shotgun

Equipment
B2150HST
Feb 3, 2013
SW, Ohio
I looked at your pics and it didn't appear to me that you had an HSD
i thought yours was a B2150DT
you have a shifter on the left fender right? and no hydro pedals on the floor boards?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I looked at your pics and it didn't appear to me that you had an HSD
i thought yours was a B2150DT
you have a shifter on the left fender right? and no hydro pedals on the floor boards?
Give that man a cigar!

I've never had an HST. I first looked at it and said, "that's a gear drive right", and the PO told me "No, it's a HST, and you'll love it". I've heard they are like an automatic, though my impression was more of a CVT (constantly variable transmission). But I sure couldn't see any difference in what I'm familiar with, which is gear drive. In cases like that, my first reaction is to just accept that the problem is my ignorance, and set about to learn more to find answers. Then I noticed in one place after another the description of the rocker forward/reverse pedal. At first I thought that just didn't apply to this model, but the more I read on, nothing added up to HST. And in the 2150HST parts manual I saw the rocker pedal again! And other comments/statements regarding HST also didn't apply. So just this evening I stopped fighting my impressions and accepted my first impression was correct, it is a gear drive.

I know HST are popular, and "sure are nicer" type comments come up all the time. But I prefer the rock solid dependability of the gear drive (I also like a stick in a truck), so I'm actually happy about that. The PO sure didn't know much at all about it...

alchemysa

Equipment
Jul 1, 2010
Australia
Give that man a cigar!
In that case, forget what I said previously about metal mesh screens. I don't think you have one.

On kubotabooks theres a 2150E parts manual. Looks like yours.

I must admit I did wonder where the pedal was, and that thing on the fender sure does look like a gear stick, but not knowing the tractor I figured it must have been some sort of new fangled (compared to mine) hi-lo shifter or something.

bulldog_shotgun

Equipment
B2150HST
Feb 3, 2013
SW, Ohio
In that case, forget what I said previously about metal mesh screens. I don't think you have one.

On kubotabooks theres a 2150E parts manual. Looks like yours.

I must admit I did wonder where the pedal was, and that thing on the fender sure does look like a gear stick, but not knowing the tractor I figured it must have been some sort of new fangled (compared to mine) hi-lo shifter or something.
just as a FYI
a B2150E is 2x4 gear drive
the DT is 4x4 gear drive
the HST is 2x4 hydrostatic
the HSD is 4x4 hydrostatic
the really confusing thing is hst and hsd both have a sticker on the side of the hood that says HST but if you look at the serial tag 4x4's say HSD.