2003 Silverado Duramax injectors

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
TJ how about some pics of that old MoPar, and just HOW OLD SCHOOL ARE YOU GOING????
I love the old MoPars, I had a 1960 Belvader 318 and 3 speed auto push button a back seat you could get 3 couples and a truck you could hide an army
Old school "carburetors,man -thats what its all about"growing weary of oil changes and dripping cars this time if year. So fill shop with a month long project til things freeze up. image.jpg just parked the 76 400 big block in it for the last time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Perhaps I missed something...

With a low pressure leak, you should have smelled fuel that dripped on the floor of your garage as soon as the fuel pump kicked on.
If it's a low pressure side leak, think suction leak.
So with a leak like that when the pump runs it puts suction on the line and thus with a leak it just pulls air in with the fuel that it's trying to get.
because it's a suction leak you might not ever see a fuel leak at all, as when there is no pump operation the pressure just becomes zero and nothing really moves.

You see these kind of leaks a lot on the hydraulic system of older Kubota's.
No physical fluid leak, but as soon as you run it the pump pulls fluid and air and then things get all out of whack. ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Hole is big enough to let air in, but not big enough to let fuel out. Lift pump in this model is in engine compartment, not fuel tank.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
WM/TJ,

SoOOOo... this would have degraded operation. The final event that killed the motor was a line break on the low side -or the high pressure side? :confused:

It was running on the freeway and -then quit cold. I guess we don't have enough evidence to say it was a low pressure supply issue or a high pressure issue... Without seeing a fuel schematic, I am just speculating.

I'll quit that. :)

You'd think when she tried to re-start the truck, if it was high pressure, it would have soaked the engine compartment. Being cool up there, she might not have noticed right away.

The good news is its running now!

Ray

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ray, fuel pump is in engine compartment. Sucking from fuel tank in the rear of the truck. :) Line from fuel tank to fuel pump is under vacuum. After fuel pump it's under pressure :)

It's like drinking through a straw with with a pin hole in it :rolleyes: Same principle on the intake side of fuel pump :)

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Updates: first D2 Cat, you da man for eBay! The shop manuals all 5 volumes, each roughly 2 inches thick just arrived in the mail today, and they would have been extremely helpful, detailed trouble shooting flow charts, with fuel line pressures etc. So I am ready for next time, ready that is to have available to a qualified mechanic :rolleyes:

The guy that worked on it stopped by yesterday for a down payment ($4100 for the parts). and we had a long visit about the logic of it all and where the troubleshooting went wrong. The experiment that threw a red herring was one in which he detached a fuel supply line and substituted one that went to a jerry can with fuel in it that was setting next to the truck. Prime it with the little manual pump near the engine and it would run perfectly for 45 sec and quit. So he concluded that the supply pump built into the high pressure pump was no good, and replaced the combination. New pump it ran a little longer but rough and some smoke, so concluded bad injector. Replaced injectors, still wouldn't run more than 45 seconds. By now he had clear lines in various places, not sure when he saw foam in the clear lines, but eventually he put the jerry can up on a ladder and ran a supply line to just before the fuel filter, and lo and behold it ran for 45 minutes just fine. So he pressurized the fuel tank and found evidence for a leak in the line near the tank and the fuel cooler. Replaced fuel lines and fuel cooler and it ran. Poor guy said he could have laid down on the floor and cried when it finally ran!

So the thing that neither he nor I can understand is why that first experiment with a line to a jerry can next to the truck didn't give a meaningful answer. If it had run then he could have skipped replacing the pump and the injectors, and kept on looking for a vacuum leak, which was high on everyone's list as a possible target. We speculated there might be some pressure thing going on that was absent in an open fuel can. The way he had it set up the return line from the common rail was still dumping leftover fuel back in the truck's tank. I guess either that or something sloppy about how it was set up. Not sure how much fuel would get pulled into the test line during the manual priming process, so it wouldn't break the siphon when it was running.

Well this has been quite the learning process...still wondering how the first guy came up with the idea that it was injector no. 2.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Well the mechanic got an education also. Consider the fact dealer would have replaced injectors and likely followed the same path. So shop rate is where your savings would be.
Im suspecting the truck had air in system,and the ladder/gravity test would have supplied enough fuel to keep truck running long enough to purge air from system.
4100 for parts,thats why i prefer to stay away from any major diesel engine work.